Christianity and Society
Reflect critically on Christianity in the public space and the tensions that arise in the dialogue with modern society and world religions. The program links theological and religious sources of the past with current social, economic and political issues. Special attention is given to Catholic Social Thought, which deals with issues such as the relation between religion and state, and the contribution of capitalism to justice and happiness.
On Campus if we can | Online because we can
National Student Survey, 2018 | n=2
in your classroom
National Alumni Survey, 2019 | n=2
Program and courses
This program provides a broad perspective taught by theologians, sociologists, economists, law specialists, and philosophers. Special attention is given to Catholic Social Thought, which deals with issues such as the relation between religion and state, and the contribution of capitalism to justice and happiness.
- Small classes (on average 5-10 students), so a lot of individual attention and personal contact among fellow students and teachers.
- International classroom with students from various countries, religions, and academic backgrounds, ensuring a lively and balanced dialogue.
- The opportunity to follow the Extended Master’s Program (adds half a year to the regular program) in which you do an internship at an institution or organization in the field.
- Lower tuition fees than other Master’s programs at Tilburg University.
Partial scholarships are available to encourage students from all economic backgrounds to participate in this graduate program.
- Culturally relevant: the Tilburg School of Catholic Theology provides two Dutch streams at the World Youth Day (WYD) in Panama: Discover theology, discover your identity en Ontdek jezelf! Reflectie op eigen waarde(n).
Typical courses are:
- Christian Theology: Fundamental Issues and Contemporary Questions
- Christianity in Dialogue with the Economic World
- Christianity in Dialogue with the World Religions
Simon BeentjesMaster's student
"It is definitely possible to develop your own particular interest. The challenge is to keep a balance between your own interest, and the broad wisdom this program encloses."
Eefje de GelderPhD | Project coordinator
"I learnt to think critically about many societal issues - from other perspectives than I had during my studies in Economics. This really helped me to broaden my (research) horizon."
Dagmar H. GrønlykkeMaster's student
"This Master's program has a much broader and modern scope than I expected. I'm challenged in whole new fields like philosophy, political sciences, religious dialogue, economy, and law."
Upon completion of this program, you will be an expert on the relations between Christianity and society in multiple fields of study.
- Use your expertise in advisory or management roles in religious organizations and churches, in government organizations and in NGOs.
- Apply your academic knowledge in the fields of media, politics and economic relations.
Application and admission
This program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
- Theology and Religious Studies
Available for both Research University students and students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master’s program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Unfortunately, we cannot organize any on-campus events at the moment. To help you as much as possible with your study choice, we offer online alternatives.
14:00 - 16:30
Study Information Day Theology study programs
This event will not take place on location. There will be a virtual event on October 9. More information will follow via the website.
12:00 - 16:00
Online Master's Open day
Which master do you think is interesting? Or do you want to know which master suits you? Then sign up for the Online Master’s Open day on Saturday, November 14.
Interested in the MA Christianity and Society?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application