Become an expert on the relationship between brain and behavior. Cognitive Neuropsychology operates on the crossroads of various psychological disciplines, such as clinical (neuro)psychology, cognitive neuroscience, and applied neuroscience. Cognitive Neuropsychologists find employment in the broad domain of (mental) health services, schools and companies. This program is a track of the MSc Psychology and Mental Health (Psychologie en Geestelijke Gezondheid).
On Campus if we can | Online because we can
This academic year, education will take place partly online and partly on campus depending on the corona measures in place. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. For the latest updates on the corona situation see our FAQs for prospective students and current students.
National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n=12
National Alumni Survey, 2020
Program and courses
Study the neurological and neuropsychological aspects of the most common neurodevelopmental disorders and brain conditions, as well as the normal and pathological age-related changes in cognition, behavior and brain. You will study these disorders and changes from the perspective of various psychological disciplines, such as clinical (neuro)psychology, cognitive neuroscience and applied neuroscience.
- Address disorders such as epilepsy, autism, ADHD, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and cerebrovascular diseases. Emphasis throughout the program lies on the biological origins and the brain mechanisms underlying these disorders.
- Acquire in-depth knowledge and skills on both neuropsychological assessment and rehabilitation. Learn to conduct independent research in the field of cognitive neuropsychology using state-of-the-art neuroscientific methods with the scientist-practitioner model.
- You will do an internship, which can be external or internal.
- During the external internship you will work for an institution that cares for patients with neuropsychological complaints. These institutions include rehabilitation centers and institutions for general healthcare, elderly care, and youth care.
- During an internal internship, you will work in a neuropsychological laboratory at Tilburg University.
- Depending on the Bachelor's program you have followed, you may be able to obtain the so called Verklaring Vooropleiding and the basic registration of psychodiagnostics (BAPD) when you finish this the Master's program, and if you did an external internship. This will provide you with a good connection to the post-master's GZ program in the Netherlands.
Typical courses are:
John NeuberMaster's student
"This program combines clinical practice with a scientific background, which is important to me, since I want to apply strategies that support my clients in the best possible way. The professors are open to questions, but still challenge the students academically. Additionally, the guidance during the internship is aimed at maximizing the experience you get during your time as an intern."
Marjolein NelemanMaster's student
"I chose this Master's because of the internship you will be doing. I think the great thing about this program is that the teaching material is applied to the clinical perspective of neuropsychology. During the Master's thesis you have the option to choose a focus on clinical or scientific research."
Andra JakabMaster's student
"The most interesting experience I had during this program was the internship at a clinic. I learned to work with patients from the start to the end. I experienced that it is a great responsibility, but also that it brings a lot of joy to help people."
Alumni can easily find a job after graduation, due to the shortage of cognitive neuropsychologists in the Netherlands and Europe. As a master psychologist trained in cognitive neuropsychology, you cover a broad field of expertise, which means you can be employed in the broad domain of mental health services, politics and schools.
- In mental health care institutions you will attend to patients in the acute (hospital) stage, and in the chronic phases, as a result of disorders and diseases like stroke, brain tumors or traumatic brain injury.
- In the generalistic basic healthcare, your expertise as a cognitive neuropsychologist will bridge the gap between clinical psychologists and psychiatrists.
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
Psychology with a specialization in, e.g., cognitive neuropsychology, forensic psychology, clinical psychology, medical psychology, lifespan and developmental psychology.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's track?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Live Webinars for Master's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs. Join the live webinar on February 11 or May 13.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
10:00 - 11:00
Admission and Application - Live webinar for Master’s programs
If you're interested in doing a Master's program at Tilburg University, and you want to know more about the application and admission process, you should join our webinar!
Interested in the MSc track Cognitive Neuropsychology?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application