Become an expert on the relationship between brain and behavior. Cognitive Neuropsychology operates on the crossroads of various psychological disciplines, such as clinical (neuro)psychology, cognitive neuroscience, and applied neuroscience. Cognitive Neuropsychologists find employment in the broad domain of (mental) health services, schools and companies. This program is a track of the MSc Psychology and Mental Health.
On-campus education as of August 2021 | pleased to meet you
National Student Survey, 2021
National Alumni Survey, 2020
Program and courses
Study the neurological and neuropsychological aspects of the most common neurodevelopmental disorders and brain conditions, as well as the normal and pathological age-related changes in cognition, behavior and brain. You will study these disorders and changes from the perspective of various psychological disciplines, such as clinical (neuro)psychology, cognitive neuroscience and applied neuroscience.
- You will address disorders such as epilepsy, autism, ADHD, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, cerebrovascular diseases, and brain tumors. Emphasis throughout the program lies on the biological origins and the brain mechanisms underlying these disorders.
- You will acquire in-depth knowledge and skills on both the assessment of these disorders, and on interventions aimed at treating them.
- Learn to conduct independent research in the field of cognitive neuropsychology using state-of-the-art neuroscientific methods with the scientist-practitioner model.
- You will have the opportunity to do an external or internal internship, acquire the basic registration of psychodiagnostics (BAPD), and to fulfill the criteria for the registration of the association LOGO (Vereniging Landelijk Overleg Geestelijke Gezondheidszorg Opleidingsinstellingen). The internal internship concerns assessment by means of neuroscience methods, such as EEG.
This is the only path that leads to becoming a “healthcare psychologist” (BIG registered).
Typical courses are:
- Developmental Neuropsychology
- Neuropsychology of Aging
- Assessment for Cognitive Neuropsychology
- Interventions for Cognitive Neuropsychology
John NeuberMaster's student
"This program combines clinical practice with a scientific background, which is important to me, since I want to apply strategies that support my clients in the best possible way. The professors are open to questions, but still challenge the students academically. Additionally, the guidance during the internship is aimed at maximizing the experience you get during your time as an intern."
Marjolein NelemanMaster's student
"I chose this Master's because of the internship you will be doing. I think the great thing about this program is that the teaching material is applied to the clinical perspective of neuropsychology. During the Master's thesis you have the option to choose a focus on clinical or scientific research."
Andra JakabMaster's student
"The most interesting experience I had during this program was the internship at a clinic. I learned to work with patients from the start to the end. I experienced that it is a great responsibility, but also that it brings a lot of joy to help people."
Alumni can easily find a job after graduation, due to the shortage of neuropsychologists in the Netherlands and Europe. As a cognitive Neuropsychologist you cover a broad field of expertise, which means you can be employed in the broad domain of mental health services, politics and schools.
- In mental health care institutions you will attend to patients in the acute (hospital) stage, and in the chronic phases, as a result of disorders and diseases like stroke, brain tumors or traumatic brain injury.
- In the generalistic basic healthcare, your expertise as a cognitive psychologist will bridge the gap between clinical psychologists and psychiatrists.
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's track?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Unfortunately, we cannot organize any on-campus events at the moment. To help you as much as possible with your study choice, we offer online alternatives.
13:30 - 15:45
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home. You can participate on Wednesday, September 22 or Wednesday, October 13, 2021.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Live Webinars for Master's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs. You can sign up for one of the sessions on September 24, or October 15, either at 10:00 or 16:00.
09:00 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and Pre-Masters and ask your questions to our teachers, students and study advisors.
Interested in the MSc track Cognitive Neuropsychology?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application