Become an expert on the relationship between brain and behavior. Cognitive Neuropsychology operates on the crossroads of various psychological disciplines, such as clinical (neuro)psychology, cognitive neuroscience, and applied neuroscience. You will examine the neurological and neuropsychological characteristics of the most common neurodevelopmental disorders and brain conditions. This program is a track of the MSc Psychology and Mental Health (Psychologie en Geestelijke Gezondheid).
Education and COVID-19
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
National Alumni Survey, 2021
National Alumni Survey, 2021
Program and courses
Study the neurological and neuropsychological aspects of the most common neurodevelopmental disorders and brain conditions, as well as the normal and pathological age-related changes in cognition, behavior and brain. You will study these disorders and changes from the perspective of various psychological disciplines, such as clinical (neuro)psychology, cognitive neuroscience and applied neuroscience.
- Address disorders such as epilepsy, autism, ADHD, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and cerebrovascular diseases. Emphasis throughout the program lies on the biological origins and the brain mechanisms underlying these disorders.
- Acquire in-depth knowledge and skills on both neuropsychological assessment and rehabilitation. Learn to conduct independent research in the field of cognitive neuropsychology using state-of-the-art neuroscientific methods with the scientist-practitioner model.
- You will do an internship, which can be external or internal.
- During the external internship you will work for an institution that cares for patients with neuropsychological complaints. These institutions include rehabilitation centers and institutions for general healthcare, elderly care, and youth care.
- During an internal internship, you will work in a neuropsychological laboratory at Tilburg University.
- If you do an external internship in the Netherlands, you can acquire the basic registration of psychodiagnostics (BAPD) and fulfill the criteria for the registration of the association LOGO (Vereniging Landelijk Overleg Geestelijke Gezondheidszorg Opleidingsinstellingen). This also gives you a good connection to the postgraduate GZ training.
Typical courses are:
- Developmental Neuropsychology
- Neuropsychology of Aging
- Assessment for Cognitive Neuropsychology
- Neuropsychological Rehabilitation
John NeuberMaster's student
"This program combines clinical practice with a scientific background, which helps me apply certain strategies that support my clients in the best possible way. "
Marjolein NelemanMaster's student
"A big plus of this program is that the teaching material is applied to the clinical perspective of neuropsychology. With your master's thesis you have the possibility to chose either a clinical or scientific research focus."
Andra JakabMaster's student
"During my internship I learned to work with patients from start to end, which was really interesting to me. I experienced that it brings responsibility, but also that it brings a lot of joy to help people."
Alumni can easily find a job after graduation, due to the shortage of cognitive neuropsychologists in the Netherlands and Europe. As a Master psychologist, trained in cognitive neuropsychology, you cover a broad field of expertise, which means you can be employed in the broad domain of mental health services, politics and schools.
- In mental health care institutions you will attend to patients in the acute (hospital) stage, and in the chronic phases, as a result of disorders and diseases like stroke, brain tumors or traumatic brain injury.
- In the generalistic basic healthcare, your expertise as a cognitive neuropsychologist will bridge the gap between clinical psychologists and psychiatrists.
Example positions of graduates
- Clinical Neuropsychologist at Helios Kliniken
- Psychologist at Surplus
- Neuropsychologist at University of Gent, Belgium
- On average 2 months until first paid job
- 100% would choose the same Master’s program again, at the same university
- Average gross monthly salary one year after graduation: €2,929.-
- 96% is (very) satisfied with this program
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2021 | n = 27
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
Psychology with a specialization in, e.g., cognitive neuropsychology, forensic psychology, clinical psychology, medical psychology, lifespan and developmental psychology.
Tuition fees and scholarships
International students, please find all information about the tuition fees and the scholarships available.
Interested in this Master's track?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
16:00 - 17:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
10:00 - 11:00
Housing - Live webinar for Bachelor's and Master's students
Interested in finding accommodation in Tilburg as you get ready to start your studies? Join one of our Live Webinars on housing. Meet our team and students to learn more about the city, your housing options, rental prices and all the additional know-hows.
Interested in the MSc track Cognitive Neuropsychology?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application