Student profile Master's track Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence
Students of the Master's track Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence are technically-minded, but more interested in the soft-side of Artificial Intelligence, rather than in the ‘hard’ study of computer science.
If you also recognize yourself in having a creative mindset, strong analytical capacity and you are good in logical reasoning, then you are the perfect candidate to study Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence at Tilburg School of Humanities!
Thank you very much for considering the MSc in Communication and Information Sciences. On this page you will find all relevant information in order to apply for this program.
Follow the application procedure below:
- If you have a non-Dutch nationality OR
- If you have Dutch nationality and are applying for this program on the basis of a diploma awarded by an institution outside the Netherlands.
Applicants with a Dutch nationality AND a Dutch diploma will need to follow the national procedure.
Step 1: Check your eligibility
Before applying, please make sure that you meet the following requirements:
- The academic background of the students in our Master's program varies a lot. You are certainly eligible to apply if you have a Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline, such as general Communication Studies, Linguistics, or a modern language. However, students with a Bachelor's degree in a different subject area are also most welcome to apply. With a prior education in the Netherlands at a higher education institution, you can get an indication of your eligibility at http://doorstroommatrix.nl.
- An adequate knowledge of English is required. Please send us a certified copy of ONE of the following English proficiency tests: Academic IELTS (min. 6.5 overall/6.0 on parts), TOEFL (min. internet-based: 90) or Cambridge Proficiency Examination. The English proficiency tests must be less than two years old at the time of application.
You are exempt from an English test:
- If you are a native English speaker, i.e. if you are a citizen of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and United States of America.
- If you completed all your secondary education in English. This only applies to scholars from the following countries: Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and United States of America.
- If you completed all your university education in English. This only applies to scholars from the following countries: Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and United States of America.
- If you have an International Baccalaureate (IB) or European Baccalaureate (EB) diploma with English as the language of instruction.
- If you completed a 4-years Bachelor’s program (of at least 240 ECTS credits) fully in English in an accredited University of Applied Sciences (HBO) in the Netherlands.
- If you completed a 3-years Academic Bachelor’s program (of at least 180 ECTS credits) fully in English in an accredited Research University the Netherlands.
- If you completed a 1 or 2-years Academic Master’s program (of at least 60 or 120 ECTS credits respectively) fully in English in an accredited Research University the Netherlands.
In all other cases, please send us a certified copy of ONE of the following English proficiency tests:
- Academic IELTS (min. 6.5 overall/6.0 on parts),
- TOEFL (internet-based: 90; the TOEFL Institutional Code for Tilburg University is 9860)
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) with a min. level of C
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
Step 2: Consider the application deadline
Please ensure that you submit your application in good time, even if you have not yet made up your mind whether you want to do the program or not. That way you will receive the admission documents with plenty of time to spare.
Starting end of August
Deadlines to apply for Fall Intake 2017 are:
Starting end of January
Deadlines to apply for Spring Intake 2018 are:
Step 3: Prepare your application package
To start your online application, please read the requirements carefully and prepare your application package first.
- An authenticated copy of your (recent) original grade transcript(s) + (a sworn/certified translation into English) - sample
- A copy of your Bachelor's or Master's thesis or an essay completed during your studies (only in English and at least 1500 words; if you have not yet written a thesis, you could also upload a dedicated writing sample in form of an academic essay or research proposal)
- Letter of motivation (1 letter per program you are applying for!) - format
- Curriculum Vitae
- Photocopy/scan of your currently valid passport
Your diploma(s) and transcript(s).
◦If you have not obtained your diploma yet (but you will obtain it before the start of the program), please upload a certified copy of your most recent transcript + a list of courses you still need to finish.
◦If your diploma(s) and transcript(s) are not in English language, you will need to provide a sworn translation into English of these documents.
- Academic IELTS, TOEFL or Cambridge Proficiency Examination certificate - Exemption form, only if applicable
- Statistics checklist. Please complete the checklist as requested.
Additional documents in specific situations
- Extra letter of motivation if you wish to be considered for a TUSAE or TSHS scholarship/grand - format
- Proof of Dutch Language Proficiency (only if you wish to apply for a Dutch-taught program)
- Nuffic NESO certificate (Chinese applicants only!)
Step 4: Apply in the online application system (MySAS)
Tilburg University uses an online application system (MySAS)
- You will first have to create an online application account.
- After you have created this account, the online application system (MySAS) will send you an email asking you to activate your account.
- Once you have activated your account, you may return to MySAS and start your application! We advise you to always apply for the Master’s program. If you are not admissible for the Master’s program, you will automatically be considered for the Pre-Master's program, if available.
- After filling out the online application form, make sure you follow the instructions mentioned in the automatically generated email, in order to upload your documents correctly into the online application system.
- During the entire application, administration and immigration procedure, the Admissions Officer will keep in touch with you through email and letters. Make sure you read and respond to the instructions in time. The communication is usually by email.
Online application steps:
- Step 1) Personal details
- Step 2) Address details
- Step 3) The name of the Masters’ program you are applying for
- Step 4) English language test
- Step 5) Educational background
- Step 6) Supporting documents
- Step 7) Additional documents
- Step 8) Survey (how did you learn about Tilburg University?)
- Step 9) Review (double check that you have completed sections a to h)
- Step 10) Submit (you will be able to submit your application after sections a to h have been completed)
Step 5: Admissions Committee's decision
The Admissions Committee will assess the complete application packages immediately after the deadline. The entire assessment procedure will take up to 6 weeks after the deadline.
1. You will receive an email and a letter stating the outcome of your admission request. There are three possibilities:
- A. (Conditionally) accepted
If you are conditionally accepted, this means that you are admitted to our program, provided that you send the originals or certified copies of your documents.
- B. (Conditionally) accepted to a Pre-Master's program
It is possible that you do not completely fulfill the requirements. If this is the case, we may offer you a Pre-Master's program to prepare you for the Master's program of your choice.
- C. Rejected
If you do not fulfill the admission requirements, your application will be rejected. We will e-mail you personally the reasons for the rejection.
2. Once you decide to accept the offer, you should send all the certified hard copies of the required documents.
3. After receiving the original/certified copies of your documents, the Admissions Officer will proceed the (relevant) application, administration and immigration procedures.
Step 6: Enroll via Studielink
All applicants accepted for this program are required to register via Studielink, the Dutch national database for higher education. You will be given more specific information in your acceptance letter regarding the procedure.
You need to register before the official start of the program, but we strongly advise you to register in Studielink as soon as possible after your admission.
- You will not receive information about other procedures after your admission (such as the visa procedure) until you have registered in Studielink.
- Please note: it is not sufficient to apply only via Studielink. If you do not apply according to the procedure above, you will not be accepted for the program and will not be able to come to Tilburg University.
- The name of the Master's program in Studielink is M Communication and Information Sciences.
- The name of the Pre-Master's program in Studielink is B Communication and Information Sciences (premaster Communication and Information Sciences).
Step 7: Confirm your enrollment
After your registration in Studielink, you will be notified by Tilburg University and need to confirm this registration before you can start with the program.
Do you have any questions?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries about the program, scholarships, admission and enrollment. You can contact us before, during or even after you submit your application.
Our international team will be glad to answer all your questions about studying at Tilburg School of Humanities and provide you with detailed practical information!