Program and courses Communication and Information Sciences
Study the broad concept of communication from many perspectives, including those of linguistics, cognitive and social psychology, computational modeling, and document design.
This one-year program consists of 60 credits (ECTS), of which:
- 6 elective core courses (36 ECTS)
- 2 research skill modules (6 ECTS)
- Master’s thesis (18 ECTS)
You can start either end of August or end of January.
Choose 6 elective courses
For a specialization in one of the available tracks, you need to choose at least 4 elective courses from one track and write your thesis about a track-related topic. The available courses are listed below, for a more detailed overview please consult the online study guide.
- Interactive Storytelling
- Social Media at Work
- Human Media Interaction Theory
- Digital Food Marketing
- Cognition and Process
- Language Technology & Cognition
- Cognition of Visual Narratives
- Data and (mis)information
- User Experience Design
- Multimodal Communication & Persuasion
- Negotiation Strategies
- Persuasion & (Dis)agreement
- Social Media: Risks & Opportunities
- Language Technology & Society
- Digital Health Communication
- Knowing Language (in Dutch)
- Creativity and Innovation
- Resistance and Persuasion
- Roles in Networked Organizations
- Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality
- Psychological Processes in Business Communication
- Online Public Relations
- Non-verbal Communication
- Social Media Marketing (in Dutch)
More information about the courses can be found in the Course Catalog.
Research Skill modules
Choose at least 2 research skill modules out of:
- Visual Thinking and Composition
- Academic Writing
- Rapid Prototyping
- Design and Analysis of Questionnaires
- Social Media Analytics
- Usability and User Experience Evaluation
- Analysis of Variance
- Eye Tracking
- Research Interview
- Online Data Collection
You start with your Master's Thesis (18 ECTS) in the first lecture week of the third block of your study and complete it at the end of the fourth block.
- For your Master's thesis, you will conduct research on a subject related to Communication and Information Sciences or to a specific track (New Media Design, Communication and Cognition, Business Communication and Digital Media).
- You will be paired with a supervisor with expertise in the area of the topic you have indicated your interest in.
Examples of previous Master's thesis subjects are:
- LinkedIn versus traditional CV as a screening tool. Experimental research on the influence of ‘projects’ and ‘recommendations’ in a LinkedIn profile versus a traditional CV on the impression formation of job applicants
- Online is on, offline is off? Differences in the level of intimacy and perceived quality in daily online and offline interactions between existing ties
- Consumer behavior on search engine result pages, the effect of matching meta descriptions to hedonic- or utilitarian online shopping motivations
- Do semantic associations change as a result of scenario? A Virtual Reality Experiment
- The taste of Europe. Branding EU’s identity through European quality labels
- Are we less biased with another face? Gender identity and gender-swapping through enfacement illusions
You will find a detailed description of the courses and required literature in our course catalog.
Please note: programs are subject to change. We advise you to look up the current program in OSIRIS Student at the start of the year.
Do you want to know more about this Master’s program?
Find out more during one of our events
Short overview of Communication and Information Sciences
Study the broad concept of communication from many perspectives, including those of linguistics, cognitive and social psychology, computational modeling and document design.
- The combination of approaches and research traditions enables you to work as a communication expert in various fields, including education, research, or the business sector.
- Choose freely from among an extensive list of courses from the tracks of Business Communication and Digital Media, Communication and Cognition, and New Media Design and create your own Master’s program.
Interested in the MSc Communication and Information Sciences?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application