Application and admission Data Science and Entrepreneurship - international procedure
This is the international application and admission procedure for Data Science and Entrepreneurship. This MSc program is a joint effort of Eindhoven University of Technology and Tilburg University. Students are free to choose at which university they want to apply: your application is registered by both universities and you will have access to the facilities of all three campuses in ’s-Hertogenbosch, Eindhoven and Tilburg.
Dutch students please note
This is the international application and admission procedure for students with a:
- Non-Dutch nationality and a diploma from a non-Dutch university;
- Non-Dutch nationality and a diploma from a Dutch university;
- Dutch nationality and a diploma from a non-Dutch university.
If you have a Dutch nationality AND a diploma from a Dutch university, you should follow the national application and admission procedure.
a) Check your eligibility
Prospective candidates of the Joint Master Data Science and Entrepreneurship should be prepared to embark on a multi-disciplinary program, with students from multiple backgrounds, cultures and nationalities.
1. Become an entrepreneur or innovator
It is expected that students who decide to apply for this program have an intrinsic motivation to become an entrepreneur or innovator.
2. Soft skills
Since this program is not only about learning knowledge and skills, but also about developing the personal traits that are generally believed to be critical to become successful, students should be open to this as well.
3. A solid background in data analysis and database technology
Last, but not least, this program requires students that are well equipped with BSc level knowledge and skills in the following two major domains: mathematics and statics - a.k.a. data analytics -, and programming and database technology a.k.a. data engineering.
We have devised a multi-facetted admission approach to cater for the specific backgrounds and entry qualifications of BSc students.
- Direct admission
- Indirect admission
- Not-directly qualified
- Graduates of a university of applied sciences ('hbo')
Currently there is no admission possible for graduates of a university of applied sciences ('hbo'). However, we are working on a full-year Pre-Master's program in collaboration with Fontys and Avans. We expect to launch this program in the next academic year (2017-2018).
1. Direct admission
The following BSc programs meet the BSc-level entry requirements and can be directly admitted to the Joint Master's Program Data Science and Entrepreneurship:
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Computer Science
- Computer Science
- Data Science
In case of similar international BSc programs, admission will be checked by the admission committee.
2. Indirect admission
Students with a BSc-level diploma in one of the following disciplines may be eligible to be enrolled directly into the Joint Master's Program Data Science and Entrepreneurship:
- Industrial Engineering
- Artificial intelligence
- Business Informatics
- Business & IT
- Information Science
- Lifestyle Informatics
- Software Engineering
- Software Science
- Innovation Sciences
- Web Science
- Business Information Management
Mandatory electives or Pre-Master's program
Admission depends for example on exactly which electives have been chosen in the respective programs and will be checked by the admission committee.
Depending on the 'match' with the entry requirements, students may be either directly admitted to the Master's Program with mandatory electives to follow, or be allowed to the Pre-Master's program.
3. Not-directly qualified
Non-directly qualified students are typically BSc students from Gamma or Beta programs that have a substantial overlap of courses with the above-mentioned programs. Examples include: international management, business administration, economics, etc.
For these BSc students there is a Pre-Master's program available.
English language proficiency
Students are required to be proficient in spoken and written English
Applicants need to provide evidence of having achieved the required level by having one of the following qualifications:
- a. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) test with a minimum score of 575 for the paper-based version, 232 for the computer version or 90 for the online version.
- b. IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test with an overall minimum score of 6.5 and no individual scores below 6.0 in the separate sections of the test.
- c. Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) with a minimum score A, B or C.
- d. Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE).
- e. Cambridge Certificate of English: Business Higher (BCE).
You are exempt from an English test if:
- You are a native English speaker, i.e. if you are a citizen of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and United States of America.
- You completed all your university education in English. This only applies to scholars from the following countries: Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and United States of America.
- You completed a 3-years Academic Bachelor’s program (of at least 180 ECTS credits) fully in English in an accredited Research University in the Netherlands.
- You completed a 1 or 2-years Academic Master’s program (of at least 60 or 120 ECTS credits respectively) fully in English in an accredited Research University in the Netherlands.
b) Consider the deadlines
When applying for this program, please make sure that your application package, including all necessary documents, reaches us before the deadline that applies to your situation:
- NON-EU/EEA: April 1st
- EU/EEA: July 1st
Start date program: September 1
c) Follow the procedure for international applicants
Step 1: Prepare your application package
To start your online application, please read the section 'Check your eligibility' above carefully and prepare your application package first.
Required documents in all situations:
- An authenticated copy of your (recent) original grade transcript(s) + (a sworn/certified translation into English) - sample
- Curriculum Vitae
- Photocopy/scan of your currently valid passport
- Certified copies of your original final diploma('s) and final grade transcript(s) + (a sworn/certified translation into English)
- Academic IELTS, TOEFL or Cambridge Proficiency Examinationcertificate - only if applicable
- Statistics checklist. Please complete the checklist as requested.
Additional documents in specific situations:
- For Chinese applicants only: Nuffic NESO certificate
Step 2: Apply in the online application system (MySAS)
- You will first have to create an online application account.
- After you have created this account, the online application system (MySAS) will send you an email asking you to activate your account.
- Once you have activated your account, you may return to MySAS and start your application!
We advise you to always apply for the Master’s program. If you are not admissible for the Master’s program, you will automatically be considered for the Pre-Master's program, if available.
- After filling out the online application form, make sure you follow the instructions mentioned in the automatically generated email, in order to upload your documents correctly into the online application system.
- During the entire application, administration and immigration procedure, the Admissions Officer will keep in touch with you through email and letters. Make sure you read and respond to the instructions in time. The communication is usually by email.
Step 3: Admission Committee's decision
The Admissions Committee will assess the complete application packages after application. The entire assessment procedure will take maximally up to 6 weeks after the submission, but we will strive to address the application within 3 weeks.
You will receive an email and a letter stating the outcome of your admission request.
There are three possibilities:
- A. (Conditionally) accepted
If you are conditionally accepted, this means that you are admitted to our program, provided that you send the originals or certified copies of your documents.
Note: it is possible that you do not completely fulfill the requirements. Deficiencies can sometimes be addressed as mandatory courses in the elective space of the Master's program. The admissions committee will decide if there are any of such deficiencies/mandatory electives. These will be included in your letter.
- B. (Conditionally) accepted to a Pre-Master's program
It is possible that you do not completely fulfill the requirements. If this is the case, we may offer you a Pre-Master's program to prepare you for the Master's program of your choice.
- C. Rejected
If you do not fulfill the admission requirements, your application will be rejected. We will e-mail you personally the reasons for the rejection.
Once you decide to accept the offer, you should send all the certified hard copies of the required documents
After receiving the original/certified copies of your documents, the Admissions Officer will proceed the (relevant) application, administration and immigration procedures.
Step 4: Enroll via Studielink
All applicants accepted for this program are required to register via Studielink, the Dutch national database for higher education
You will be given more specific information in your acceptance letter regarding the procedure.
- It is expected to take an additional month to register the program as a two-year MSc program. This is just a formality. So in order to open up registration as soon as possible, the program will be registered as a one-year Master's program at first.
- It is therefore important to be aware that the Master Data Science and Entrepreneurship will be a two-year master's program. You will only qualify for a master's degree once you have completed the full program of 120 ECTS. Students registering within this period are not required to take any additional action.
You need to register before the official start of the program, but we strongly advise you to register in Studielink as soon as possible after your admission.
- You will not receive information about other procedures after your admission (such as the visa procedure) until you have registered in Studielink.
- Please note: it is not sufficient to apply only via Studielink. If you do not apply according to the procedure above, you will not be accepted for the program and will not be able to come to Tilburg University.
- The name of the Master's program in Studielink is: (Joint) Master Data science and entrepeneurship.
- Make sure that you use the same email address in Studielink as the email address you registered with in Tilburg University's online application system.
Step 5: Confirm your enrollment
Confirm your registration at Tilburg University
After your registration in Studielink, you will be notified by Tilburg University and need to confirm this registration before you can start with the program.
Do you have any questions?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the Master's website.