Data Science and Society
Study to become a Data Analyst who is able to provide solutions for societal challenges with the use of complex data sets. Add value to a team, company or organization with a combination of technical skills, knowledge about legal and ethical issues related to data science, and the ability to effectively communicate with professionals and researchers from different disciplines. Specialize in Business, Governance, Media, or Health.
Program and courses
Data Science and Society is a multidisciplinary program that offers you the opportunity to specialize in one of four domains, Business, Governance, Media, or Health. Your specialization will be stated on your Master's diploma.
- You are trained to identify patterns and gather insights from large and complex datasets.
- You learn how to translate those insights into actionable solutions and recommendations to meet practical needs in the chosen domain.
- Besides that, you get acquainted with laws and regulations that are relevant for data science and data scientists, particularly private and public law.
- Finally, you learn to take ethical issues into account, such as issues regarding privacy, accountability, or human autonomy in decision making.
Typical courses are:
- Machine Learning
- Data Mining for Business and Governance
- Data Science Regulation and Law
- Deep Learning
- Programming with R
Sandra MaatMaster's student
"During the Data Science master seemingly impossible assignments become feasible due to the daily development of my skills."
Thijme GeeneMaster's student
"I feel like the study program can sometimes be challenging, while it is inspiring and rewarding at the same time. The courses provide applicable knowledge which you will likely use in a future career."
Isabelle LierMaster’s student
"With data science and the tools learned during this master, you'll learn how to handle complex data that on first glance seem incomprehensible."
As a Data Science and Society graduate you have the ability to create data driven solutions for questions that come from society, businesses and organizations. You are well-equipped to perform the role of a strategy consultant, as well as to serve as a linking-pin between management and technical staff. Not only are you able to identify opportunities that big data and related emerging technologies offer, you are also aware of the risks.
With the programming, data processing, data analytics and data visualization skills you have developed and your hands-on experience in working with complex data sets, you also qualify for data analytics jobs.
Graduates work or start for example as:
- Data Analyst at companies / organizations like Eneco, Achmea, and CBS
- Data Science & Business Intelligence Consultant at Incentro
- Data Scientist at companies / organizations like ABN Amro Bank N.V., Microsoft, and Data Science Lab
- Data Manager at Van den Bosch Transporten
- Business Intelligence Analyst at Houthoff (previously Houthoff Buruma)
- SEA specialist at Tripaneer
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August and End of January (both the Master’s and the Pre-Master’s program)
Best preparatory programs:
A Bachelor's degree in one of the following domains:
- Social Sciences (e.g., Psychology; Sociology; Human Resource Management; Organizational Sciences; Liberal Arts and Sciences)
- Humanities (e.g., Communication and Information Sciences; Linguistics, Communication Sciences)
- Law (e.g., Global Law; Politics, Law & Economics; Public Administration)
- Economics & Business (e.g., Economics and Computer Science; Business Informatics; International Business Administration; Economics; Liberal Arts and Sciences)
Available for both Research University students and students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master’s program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Study choice events
Interested in the MSc Data Science and Society?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application