Program and courses Data Science and Society
The program is built on a sound mix of theory and practice. The core principle of the program is learning by doing. You will specialize by following one of four tracks: Business, Governance, Media, or Health.
This one-year program consists of 60 credits (EC):
- 4 core courses (24 EC in total)
- 2 research skills modules (6 EC in total)
- 2 elective courses from one of four tracks: Business, Governance, Media or Health (12 EC in total)
- Master’s thesis (18 EC)
You can start in either end of August or end of January .
You follow a set of core data science skills courses (programming in R and Python, machine learning, and data mining) in combination with courses in analytics, data science & law, and statistics and methodology.
The thesis is an individual project in which you perform a large-scale, data-driven analysis using a data set and research questions provided by research staff, the industry, or government organizations.
Research skills modules
Master’s thesis / Data Science in Action
You will find a detailed description of the courses and required literature in our course catalog.
Please Note: programs are subject to change. We advise you to look up the current program in Osiris Student at the start of the year.
Data Science and Society in short
- Get acquainted with the data science methodology: the data science workflow, clustering techniques, data wrangling, data mining, machine learning, data visualization and the accompanying programming languages and libraries.
- Learn data analytics techniques, including descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytic techniques.
- Get trained to gather insights from large data sets and learn how to translate those insights into actionable solutions and recommendations to meet practical needs in the chosen domain.
- Get acquainted with laws and regulations that are relevant for data science and data scientists, particularly private and public law.
- Integrate all relevant aspects of data science and gain hands-on experience in working with a large data set in your graduation project.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Interested in the MSc Data Science and Society?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application