Program and courses Data Science and Society
The program is built on a sound mix of theory and practice. The core principle of the program is learning by doing. You will specialize in one of the following domains: Business, Governance, Media, or Health.
You do not have to choose a specialization (Business, Governance, Media or Health) during your application procedure for September 2020. Once you've started your studies, you will be guided in choosing a specialization that matches your academic background, your motivation and interest. Your Academic Advisor and Program Director will discuss your choice of specialization with you in the first weeks of the program.
This one-year program consists of 60 credits (EC):
- 4 core courses (24 EC in total)
- 2 research skills modules (6 EC in total)
- 2 elective courses from a single domain (12 EC in total)
- Master’s thesis (18 EC)
You can start in either end of August or end of January .
You follow a set of core data science skills courses (programming in R and Python, machine learning, and data mining) in combination with courses in analytics, data science & law, and statistics and methodology. The thesis is an individual project in which you perform a large-scale, data-driven analysis using a data set and research questions provided by research staff, the industry, or government organizations.
Research skills modules
Master’s thesis / Data Science in Action
Programs are subject to change, so we advise our students to check their exact program in the education catalog at the official start of the academic year.
Data Science and Society in short
- Get acquainted with the data science methodology: the data science workflow, clustering techniques, data wrangling, data mining, machine learning, data visualization and the accompanying programming languages and libraries.
- Learn data analytics techniques, including descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytic techniques.
- Get trained to gather insights from large data sets and learn how to translate those insights into actionable solutions and recommendations to meet practical needs in the chosen domain.
- Get acquainted with laws and regulations that are relevant for data science and data scientists, particularly private and public law.
- Integrate all relevant aspects of data science and gain hands-on experience in working with a large data set in your graduation project.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Interested in the MSc Data Science and Society?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application