Become an expert in economic behavior and consumer psychology, and learn to make decisions related to marketing, financial behavior, and communication. You will learn how companies, non-profits, and governments can use theories of economic and psychological reasoning to understand and influence consumer decisions and financial behaviors. This is a track of MSc Social Psychology.
On-campus education as of August 2021 | pleased to meet you
National Student Survey, 2019 | n=20
National Alumni Survey, 2019 | n=5
Programs and courses
Learn to understand and apply psychological and economic insights to understand consumer behavior, financial decision-making, and marketing.
- Specialist in Economic Psychology since 1972.
- International setting with small groups and a lot of interaction.
- Courses and supervision are done by a team of international, young, and enthusiastic researchers.
- Internship (12 or 18 ECTS) in an organization chosen by you.
- The program focuses on the critical and valid application of theory in practice, with an emphasis on how economic psychology can be applied to companies, non-profits, and policy making.
Typical courses are:
- The Psychology of Economics: Learn the fundamentals of economic psychology, a field that combines insights from social psychology and economics.
- Money and Financial Behavior: This course deals with economic and psychological perspectives on money, how money influences behavior, and how it can cause adverse consequences (for instance, greed, materialism, and corruption).
- Psychology and Marketing: Learn about the psychological insights that are crucial for inspiring effective and ethical marketing strategies.
- Consumer Analytics Using Big Data: In this course, you will learn about how companies use online behavior to understand and predict consumer choices.
Sanne DiepensMaster's student
"Learning more about consumer behavior from a psychological perspective was my main reason to choose this program. I learned how people make decisions every day in the context of financial decisions and buying behavior. Once I graduated I would love to work in a retail company where I can apply my knowledge in a B2C environment."
Odi SchepersMaster's student
"During the courses I have learned to combine psychological and economic insights in consumer behavior to get a realistic view of people's financial decision making processes. During my internship at Frisse Blikken in Utrecht, I learn how to apply this knowledge about financial decision making into the field of marketing, branding and social media strategy."
Ivo BrouwerMaster's student
"During the program I’m doing two internships at two different organizations, in order to get as much (work)experience as possible."
Prepare for both academic and practical careers in the fields of economic psychology, consumer behavior, marketing, communication, policy, consulting, or research.
- Alumni are often employed by management consultancies, and trade unions as well as in the consumer products industry and at market research institutes.
- Our graduates have been hired at Philips, GfK, Accenture, Rabobank, Bol.com, Nationale Nederlanden, Booking.com, research universities and schools of applied sciences, KPN, Blauw Research, Interpolis, and the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration.
Example positions of graduates:
- Financial Economic Crime Coordinator at Rabobank
- Hair Brand Building Marketing Advisor at Unilever
- Market Researcher at market research agency Ruigrok Netpanel
- Average number of months until first paid job: 4.40
- Finds a job within 6 months after graduation: 80%
- Gross monthly income one year after graduation: € 1.732,-
Source: National Alumni Survey - Master Social Psychology, 2019 | n = 6
Application and admission
This Master's track starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
Bachelor in (Social) Psychology
Not available. The following Master's programs do offer pre-Master's programs for students from universities of applied sciences (hbo): Sociology, Human Resource Studies, Organization Studies, Marketing Management, Marketing Analytics, and Communication and Information Sciences.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's track?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Unfortunately, we cannot organize any on-campus events at the moment. To help you as much as possible with your study choice, we offer online alternatives.
To be announced
Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and pre-Masters and ask your questions to our teachers, students and study advisors.
Interested in the MSc Economic Psychology?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application
Related Master's programs
Obtain 2 Master degrees and international experience by following one of our double degree programs:
Other related programs: