During the master Economic Psychology, you become an expert in economic behavior, consumer psychology and decision making related to marketing, financial behavior, and communication. In this master's you will learn how companies, non-profits, and governments can use knowledge of economic and psychological reasoning to understand and influence consumer decisions and financial behaviors. Economic Psychology is a track of the MSc in Social Psychology.
Education as of September 2022
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
National Student Survey, 2021 | n=22
National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n=15
Program and courses
Learn to understand and apply psychological and economic insights to understand consumer behavior, financial decision-making, and marketing.
- Specialist in Economic Psychology since 1972.
- International setting with small groups and a lot of interaction.
- Courses and supervision are done by a team of international, diverse, and enthusiastic researchers.
- Internship (12 or 18 ECTS) in an organization chosen by you.
- The program focuses on the critical and valid application of theory in practice, with an emphasis on how economic psychology and consumer psychology can be applied to companies, non-profits, and policy making.
Typical courses are:
- The Psychology of Economics
- Money and Financial Behavior
- Psychology and Marketing
- Consumer Analytics Using Big Data
Sanne DiepensMaster's student
"Learning more about consumer behavior from a psychological perspective was my main reason to choose this program. I learned how people make decisions every day in the context of financial decisions and buying behavior. Once I graduated I would love to work in a retail company where I can apply my knowledge in a B2C environment."
Quint ZieltjensDigital Marketing Manager at McDonald’s Netherlands
"I noticed pretty quickly that contributing a psychological background to the marketing field is a big advantage. Your perspective is the psyche and behavior of people, something that, for example marketing study programs, don’t really focus on."
Vanessa RettkowskiGraduate student
Vanessa has won the Unilever Research Prize 2021 with her master thesis on greed and buying behavior. This prize is awarded annually to talented students who graduate on a theme that touches on Unilever's Global Goals (in line with the sustainable development goals). Vanessa researched the role of greed in how people react to missing out on offers.
You're prepared for both academic and practical careers in the fields of economic psychology, consumer behavior, marketing, communication, policy, consulting, or research.
- Alumni are often employed by management consultancies, and trade unions as well as in the consumer products industry and at market research institutes.
- Our graduates have been hired at Philips, GfK, Accenture, Rabobank, Bol.com, Nationale Nederlanden, Booking.com, research universities and schools of applied sciences, KPN, Blauw Research, Interpolis, and the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration.
Example positions of graduates:
- Financial Economic Crime Coordinator
- Hair Brand Building Marketing Advisor
- Market Researcher
- Project Manager
- Policy Advisor
- On average 5 months until first paid job
- 73% of graduates find a job within 6 months after graduation
- Gross monthly income one year after graduation: € 2,449
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n = 15
Application and admission
This Master's track starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
Bachelor in (Social) Psychology
Not available. The following Master's programs do offer pre-Master's programs for students from universities of applied sciences (hbo): Sociology, Human Resource Studies, Organization Studies, Marketing Management, Marketing Analytics, and Communication and Information Sciences.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's track?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
To be announced
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
09:30 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Interested in doing a Master's program? Find out which Master's program suits you best during our Master's Open day on November 19. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and study advisors your questions. Sign up for the Open day now!
Interested in the MSc Economic Psychology?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application
Related Master's programs
Obtain 2 Master degrees and international experience by following a Double Degree program:
Other related programs: