Become an expert in economic behavior and consumer psychology, and learn to make decisions related to marketing, financial behavior, and communication. You will learn how companies, non-profits, and governments can use theories of economic and psychological reasoning to understand and influence consumer decisions and financial behaviors. This is a track of MSc Social Psychology.
On-campus education as of August 2021 | pleased to meet you
National Student Survey, 2021 | n=22
National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n=15
Program and courses
Learn to understand and apply psychological and economic insights to understand consumer behavior, financial decision-making, and marketing.
- Specialist in Economic Psychology since 1972.
- International setting with small groups and a lot of interaction.
- Courses and supervision are done by a team of international, young, and enthusiastic researchers.
- Internship (12 or 18 ECTS) in an organization chosen by you.
- The program focuses on the critical and valid application of theory in practice, with an emphasis on how economic psychology can be applied to companies, non-profits, and policy making.
Typical courses are:
- The Psychology of Economics
- Money and Financial Behavior
- Psychology and Marketing
- Consumer Analytics Using Big Data
Sanne DiepensMaster's student
"Learning more about consumer behavior from a psychological perspective was my main reason to choose this program. I learned how people make decisions every day in the context of financial decisions and buying behavior. Once I graduated I would love to work in a retail company where I can apply my knowledge in a B2C environment."
Quint ZieltjensBrand Manager at McDonald’s Netherlands
"I noticed pretty quickly that contributing a psychological background to the marketing field is a big advantage. Your perspective is the psyche and behavior of people, something that, for example marketing study programs, don’t really focus on."
Odi SchepersMaster's student
"During the courses I have learned to combine psychological and economic insights in consumer behavior to get a realistic view of people's financial decision making processes. During my internship at Frisse Blikken in Utrecht, I learn how to apply this knowledge about financial decision making into the field of marketing, branding and social media strategy."
You're prepared for both academic and practical careers in the fields of economic psychology, consumer behavior, marketing, communication, policy, consulting, or research.
- Alumni are often employed by management consultancies, and trade unions as well as in the consumer products industry and at market research institutes.
- Our graduates have been hired at Philips, GfK, Accenture, Rabobank, Bol.com, Nationale Nederlanden, Booking.com, research universities and schools of applied sciences, KPN, Blauw Research, Interpolis, and the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration.
Example positions of graduates:
- Financial Economic Crime Coordinator
- Hair Brand Building Marketing Advisor
- Market Researcher
- Project Manager
- Policy Advisor
- On average 5 months until first paid job
- 73% of graduates find a job within 6 months after graduation
- Gross monthly income one year after graduation: € 2,449
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n = 15
Application and admission
This Master's track starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
Bachelor in (Social) Psychology
Not available. The following Master's programs do offer pre-Master's programs for students from universities of applied sciences (hbo): Sociology, Human Resource Studies, Organization Studies, Marketing Management, Marketing Analytics, and Communication and Information Sciences.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's track?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Unfortunately, we cannot organize any on-campus events at the moment. To help you as much as possible with your study choice, we offer online alternatives.
13:30 - 15:45
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home. You can participate on Wednesday, October 13, 2021.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Live Webinars for Master's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs. You can sign up for one of the sessions on October 15, either at 10:00 or 16:00.
09:00 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and Pre-Masters and ask your questions to our teachers, students and study advisors.
Interested in the MSc Economic Psychology?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application
Related Master's programs
Obtain 2 Master degrees and international experience by following one of our double degree programs:
Other related programs: