Economics: Pensions, Aging and Retirement (Netspar) track
Problems regarding the affordability of pensions and aging are amongst today’s society's most urgent questions. Become an expert in applying economic theories and models to create reliable and humane solutions for financial institutions and governments, offering the best arrangements reasonably possible. This track is offered by Netspar, a renowned research network on the topic in the Netherlands and Europe.
National Alumni Survey, 2016 | n=18
Times Higher Education Subject Ranking, 2019
Shanghai Global Ranking of Academic Subjects, 2018
Program and courses
- Address essential questions regarding the affordability of pensions and aging, such as:
- How much should our and our parent’s generation save for retirement and how can we invest this money in the best way?
- Is a guaranteed pension income sufficiently attractive to pay for the (high) costs?
- Should we offer more choice options in pension schemes?
- This program is closely linked to Netspar, a renowned institute involved in the development of financial products and facilities for the ‘old age’ European citizens.
- The Netspar track offers access to a valuable network, including internships and company visits with Netspar partners, such as the Dutch National Bank, Achmea, Nationale Nederlanden, Robeco, PGGM and the Dutch Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport.
- Furthermore, the Netspar track offers inspired teachers with hands-on knowledge of the current pension debate, a Netspar certificate, Netspar Thesis Awards (€ 3,000), and excellent job opportunities.
- Extended Master: go the extra mile with a six-month traineeship on top of your Master’s program.
Typical courses are:
- The Economics and Finance of Pensions
- Economics and Psychology of Risk and Time
- Generational Economics
With a specialization in pensions, aging and retirement, you can apply economic theories and models to problems regarding the affordability of pensions and aging; creating reliable and humane solutions for financial institutions and governments. Because of a growing demand for specialists with in-depth knowledge of the issues pertaining to aging societies, these skills provide a host of different career options in the public and private sector, as well as in academia.
Graduates started for example as:
- Economist at RaboResearch (Rabobank)
- ALM/Treasury Analyst at ABN AMRO Bank N.V.
- Business Analyst at Deloitte Pension Advisory
- Average number of months until first paid job: 2
- Finds a job within 6 months after graduation: 94%
- Gross monthly income one year after graduation: €2,542
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2016 (based on alumni of the Master's program in Economics) | n=16
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August and end of January
Best preparatory programs:
A Bachelor’s degree in Economics or in a similar program (e.g., in Econometrics).
Only available for Research University students, not for students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master’s program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Study choice events
To be announced
Trial lectures Master's programs Tilburg University
Are you interested in one of our Master's programs and do you want to experience what it's like to follow this program at Tilburg University? Then follow a trial lecture of the Master's program of your choice!
10:00 - 14:45
Open day Master's programs
The Open day on Saturday 16 November 2019 offers you the opportunity to get acquainted with our English taught (Pre-)Master's programs and Research Masters, get a taste of the atmosphere at our campus and speak with current students, lecturers and academic advisors.
Interested in the MSc Economics?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application