European Law and Global Risk (LLM)
The biggest societal challenges are global, affecting half a billion EU citizens. This Master focuses on EU law that aims to secure economic prosperity, environmental integrity, proper responses to migration, and continued respect for the rule of law. EU law not only dominates these legal spheres within the EU, but also is a leading global force. This is a track of the Master's program in International and European Law (LLM).
On Campus if we can | Online because we can
in EU Law and Global Risk
Social Science Research Network Ranking (SSRN, April 2019)
Program and courses
- Gain a deep understanding of European Law, particularly in the field of:
- Global and EU markets (competition, internal market, and WTO law)
- Environment, Climate and Energy
- Rule of Law
- Senior teaching staff are world-leading experts in their fields. You will become educated to address the challenges of our time and make a difference.
- Study for a degree and a career. Become prepared for a dynamic labour market, which demands versatility of legal professionals. You arrange the skill-set that best fits your ambitions by joining a Moot court, Law Clinic and/or an internship.
Degree upon graduation: Master in Law (LLM) in International and European Law. You specialize by following one of the tracks of the Master's program International and European Law (LLM). When you complete both specializations, you receive one diploma. Your transcript of records is your proof for future employers that you are specialized and fully prepared for a wide variety of career paths.
Typical courses are:
- Risk in the EU
- Regulating Competition
- Moot Court Course
- Migration and Rule of Law
- The EU and Global Environmental Risk
Silke van GilsMaster's student
"There is great contact between lecturers and students, and the lecturers try to make the lectures as interactive as possible. The program gives me a good understanding of EU law, with the possibility to specialize in more specific EU law matters."
Tim van HelfterenAlumnus
"There are many opportunities to explore positions you can apply for after you finish your studies. There are guest lectures, and there are extracurricular career talks where you can get in contact with EU law practitioners."
"I was positively surprised by how much the professors are engaged with the students."
As a Master of Laws with a specialization in European Law and Global Risk, you have opportunities to national, European and global legal careers. You are well prepared for a career as a lawyer in a national and international law firm, European institutions, diplomacy, European and international courts, multinational enterprises, and NGOs.
Graduates started for example as:
- Policy Officer at the European Commission
- Attorney-at-Law at Loyens and Loeff
- PhD researcher at Tilburg University
Alumni facts Tilburg Law School
- Average number of months until first paid job: 2.86
- Employer requires an academic Master’s degree: 68%
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: € 2.468,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2018| n = 118
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August and end of January
Best preparatory programs:
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Law (including Global Law)
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in European Studies
Available, but only in Dutch and for students with a hbo Rechten Bachelor’s degree. The one-year Pre-Master’s program (60 ECTS) starts end of August.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
In accordance with the guidelines of the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM), all on-campus events until September 1 will not take place. To help you choose your Master’s program as best as we can, you can replay the sessions of our Online Master's Open day and participate in an online Q&A session for the program(s) you are interested in.
Interested in the LLM European Law and Global Risk?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application