European Law and Global Risk (LLM)
EU law not only dominates the legal spheres in EU of societal challenges, it is also a leading force to tackle societal challenges on a global scale. Expertise in EU law is therefore relevant for any lawyer because there is almost no area of domestic law that does not touch EU law – from business to social welfare. With an effect around the world that is becoming increasingly important solving global risks, it is the foundation of cross-country and cross-sectoral cooperation. This is a track of the Master's program in International and European Law (LLM).
Education and COVID-19
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
Program and courses
- Besides gaining a solid knowledge on general EU law, students can specialise on two (among three) areas, particularly in the field of:
- EU competition Law
- Environment Law
- Judicial protection of individual rights
- Small-scale program with much interaction and direct contact with world-leading experts in their fields. You will participate in monthly meetings in which students and staff discuss recent developments in the case law of the Court of Justice of the European Union.
- Study for a degree and a career. Become prepared for a dynamic labour market, which demands versatility of legal professionals. You arrange the skill-set that best fits your ambitions by joining a Moot court and/or an internship.
- Learn to approach EU Law as a “tool-box” which includes different decision-making mechanisms, different (binding and non-binding) rules, and different national and supranational actors.
Degree upon graduation: Master in Law (LLM) in International and European Law. You specialize by following one of the tracks of the Master's program International and European Law (LLM). When you complete both specializations, you receive one diploma. Your transcript of records is your proof for future employers that you are specialized and fully prepared for a wide variety of career paths.
Typical courses are:
- Rule of Law in the EU
- Regulating Competition
- Risk in the EU
- Free movement challenges
Silke van GilsMaster's student
"There is great contact between lecturers and students, and the lecturers try to make the lectures as interactive as possible. The program gives me a good understanding of EU law, with the possibility to specialize in more specific EU law matters."
Tim van HelfterenAssociate | Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
"There are many opportunities to explore positions you can apply for after you finish your studies. There are guest lectures, and there are extracurricular career talks where you can get in contact with EU law practitioners."
Anke RaijmakersLegal Advisor European Law | Ministery of Foreign Affairs
"I was positively surprised by how much the professors are engaged with the students."
As a student, you choose your master today and you will enter the job market tomorrow. But, currently, the world and the demands in the labour market may rapidly change in the timespan of a few years. This program is designed to help you to “learn how to learn” and how to become experts in EU law without running the risk to gain only sectorial knowledge in one field. It is the best possible stepping stone for all-round legal professionals taking on inter-connected legal challenges arising from structural global risks.
As a Master of Laws with a specialization in European Law and Global Risk, you have opportunities to national, European and global legal careers. You are well prepared for a career as a lawyer in a national and international law firm, European institutions, diplomacy, European and international courts, multinational enterprises, and NGOs.
Graduates started for example as:
- EU Lawyers within national and international governmental organizations
- EU Lawyers at national and international law firms
- EU Lawyers for NGO's like Greenpeace or Amnesty International
Alumni facts Tilburg Law School
- Average number of months until first paid job: 2.35
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: €3.013,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2021| n = 98
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August and end of January
Best preparatory programs:
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Law (including Global Law)
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in European Studies
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Liberal Arts and Sciences with a major in Law
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Politics
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in International Relations
Available, but only in Dutch and for students with a hbo Rechten Bachelor’s degree. The one-year Pre-Master’s program (60 ECTS) starts end of August.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs.
09:15 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Interested in doing a Master's program? Find out which Master's program suits you best during our Master's Open day on November 19. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and study advisors your questions. Sign up for the Open day now!
Interested in the LLM European Law and Global Risk?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application