Extended Master's Program Tilburg School of Economics and Management (TiSEM)
The Extended Master's Program (EMP) is a traineeship that you perform on top of your regular TiSEM Master's program. It is developed in a joint effort with partner organizations to provide you with the opportunity to improve your practical and professional skills. You will have the chance to prove your potential to the labor market if you are willing to go the extra mile.
It is important to orientate yourself on the job market, to find out how it is to work in a specific field and to differentiate yourself from others by gaining valuable skills. The Extended Master program is a fun and unique challenge that provides you the opportunity to do this and allows you to better prepare yourself for the future.
- As an Extended Master Program student, you will be closely involved in the activities of your organization.
- You will for example help to improve processes, identify opportunities and threats, or work on an assignment that requires an academic background currently not available within the organization.
- The Extended Master program is open to both national and international students. Availability of English speaking positions depends on the company’s line of business and their current organizational needs.
Video: short introduction (2:30 minutes)
A TiSEM Extended Master's Program provides you with several benefits:
- A good way to put you in the sight of leading companies whilst adding valuable professional experience to your Master’s program.
- Receive Edubadges and an Extended Master's Program Certificate.
- Expand your professional network and learn to reflect on your preferences, strengths and room for self-improvement.
- Valuable hard and soft skills training exclusively available to Extended Master students. We offer among others:
|Effective Communication||Lean Six Sigma|
|Networking||Advanced Excel for business use|
|Project management||Personal coaching|
|Personal branding||Get things done|
|Machine Learning||Data camp|
More information about the Extended Master's Program? You are welcome to visit our Canvas page (only accessible for students).
Examples of participating companies and assignments
- Achmea Bank
- Air Liquide
- Blom Consultancy
- Censor Voor de verandering
- CEVA Logistics
- CZ Health Insurance
- Fly Hyer
- Keuhne Nagel
- Logistics Community Brabant (LCB)
- Van Deursen (Shoeby)
- VDL groep
Recently completed assignments include:
- Optimal store location research
- Fixed and variable operating costs reduction of brick and mortar chain store
- Creating a Corporate Social Responsibility strategy
- Supplier Analysis
- Development of procedure for contract management
- Analysis of historical sales data
How does it work?
1. Apply for a regular Master's program
- First you need to apply for one of the participating Master's programs.
- After being accepted, you start with the regular program at the end of August or January.
- At the beginning of the semester, the Extended Master's Program will be introduced.
- The Extended Master Program starts twice a year (recruitment phases in September and March, start traineeship April and September).
2. Visit online information session
A couple of weeks into the semester, the Extended Master Program team organizes an information session, where they introduce the program and briefly discuss the companies.
3. Apply for the program and pre-selection by The Extended Master Program
After the presentations, you can send your motivation letter and CV to the Extended Master's Program team to apply for the program.
The Extended Master Program team will pre-select students that are believed to be a good candidate for the Extended Master’s Program, based on academic competence, extracurricular activities, and motivation. Selected students will be invited for the Employers market.
4. Employers market
The employers market is organized for students and participating organizations to meet in an informal way. Here you get the opportunity to get more insights in different organizations and their internships.
5. Apply for an internship at specific organizations/companies
After the Employers market, you shortly get the opportunity to write company specific motivation letters. It is best to apply for 3 or 4 different companies/organizations. Together with this motivation letter, you application package will be send to the Companies.
Companies will then apply their own selection criteria and afterwards inform the Extended Master Program’s team which students are selected. The recruitment method differs per organization.
The traineeship exists of an internship (at least 600 hours), professional skills training, company experiences and coaching. Although the startdate of the internship is somewhat flexible, the other 3 parts of the program run twice a year from April to September and from September to January.
7. (Optional) Master's thesis project
If both you and the company are happy with your progress, then you are welcome to extend the traineeship with a master thesis written at the company. The topic needs to be approved by the Tilburg University thesis coordinator.
Fees and compensation
There are no administrative or participation fees for taking part in the Extended Master's Program. You will pay regular tuition fees for the extra months the Extended Master's Program takes.
- It is a smart investment, considering that the combined value of the skills training and work experience far exceed the value of the extra tuition fees.
- It is not unusual to receive double or triple the amount of the fees in the form of traineeship compensation.
- The actual compensation is to be discussed between you and the company before the traineeship starts.
Do you have any questions?
Have we piqued your interest for an Extended Master's Program and would you like to know more? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.