Health, Wellbeing and Society
Become a specialist in the fields of healthcare policy, societal resilience, and health and well-being. The heart of the new Health, Wellbeing and Society track is the understanding that sustainability depends on creating resilient and healthy communities, which can adapt to changing conditions without losing their fundamental identities. You are taught to analyze how health and well-being are distributed across Western societies, and how health and well-being can be improved at micro- meso- and macro-level of society. This is a track of MSc Sociology.
On Campus if we can | Online because we can
National Alumni Survey - Master Sociology, 2019 | n=13
through Academic Collaborative Centers from TRANZO or at one of our partner organizations
National Alumni Survey - Master Sociology, 2019 | n=12
Program and courses
In this track of the MSc Sociology you combine scientific insights from sociology and health sciences to become a specialist in the field of healthcare policy, societal resilience, and health and wellbeing.
- Learn to analyze how health and wellbeing are related to welfare, healthcare politics and policy and how they are related to demographic and societal factors at different levels. You gain an international perspective on health, wellbeing and society in mainly Western societies.
- Collaborate closely with healthcare organizations through participation of the unique Academic Collaborative Centers from Tranzo in theoretical modules as well as during the internship and thesis.
- Community-building activities throughout the program ensure cohesion in the programs cohort, such as guest lecturers, simulation, serious gaming and study trips. You'll become part of an innovative program which brings together academics and students from all over the world in a small-scale and interactive learning environment.
- The Extended Master gives you the opportunity to enhance your practical and professional skills during a 6 month traineeship. An Extended Master adds an extra semester to your regular master’s program.
- With a Double degree program you have the opportunity to earn a degree from both Tilburg University and one of our partner universities:
- Double degree in Sociology and Social Research - Tilburg University and University of Trento (Trento, Italy)
- Double degree in Sociology and Population Studies – Tilburg University and Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona, Spain)
- Double Degree in Sociology - Tilburg University and University of Bamberg (Bamberg, Germany)
Typical courses are:
- Health, Resilience and Sustainability
- Social Policy and Social Risks
- The Social Structures of Western Societies
- Health and Policy
Benthe ZenhorstMaster's student
"The personal way teachers and students communicate really spoke to me while choosing this master. This highly relevant health master allows me to further specialize within my field of sociology."
As a graduate you are able to manage projects and people within the context of complex health and wellbeing related societal problems.
Some examples of our graduates' careers
Policy advisor, policy executive, data analyst, researcher or trainer at:
- Average number of months until first paid job: 3,25
- 92% of our alumni finds a job within 6 months after graduation
- Would (definitely) recommend the study to friends, family or colleagues: 84%
- 92% of the graduates is (very) satisfied with the program
Source: National Alumni Survey – Master Sociology, 2019 | n=12
Application and admission
This track starts:
At the end of August and at the end of January
Best preparatory programs:
Sociology, Psychology, Social Geography, Anthropology, Culture Studies, Human Resource Studies, Organization Studies, and Liberal Arts and Sciences.
The Pre-Master’s program in Sociology (30 ECTS) is open to both Research University students and students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO). The Pre-Master's program starts at the end of August and at the end of January. After finishing the program, you can start with the track Health, Wellbeing and Society of the MSc Sociology.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's track?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Unfortunately, we cannot organize any on-campus events at the moment. To help you as much as possible with your study choice, we offer online alternatives.
10:00 - 11:00
Tilburg University Today Live Webinars for Master's programs
The Tilburg University Today Live Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs.
To be announced
Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and pre-Masters and ask your questions to our teachers, students and study advisors.
Interested in the Health, Wellbeing and Society MSc track?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application
Related Master’s programs
- Sociology and Social Research (Double degree with University of Trento, Italy)
- Sociology and Population Studies (Double degree with UPF Barcelona, Spain)
- Sociology: Bamberg – Tilburg (Double degree with Bamberg University, Germany)
- Politics, Policy and Societal Development (track of MSc Sociology)
- Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences