Health, Wellbeing and Society track
Become a specialist in the fields of healthcare policy, societal resilience, and health and well-being. The heart of the new Health, Wellbeing and Society track of the MSc Sociology is the understanding that sustainability depends on creating resilient and healthy communities, which can adapt to changing conditions without losing their fundamental identities. You are taught to analyze how health and well-being are distributed across Western societies, and how health and well-being can be improved at micro- meso- and macro-level of society. This is a track of MSc Sociology.
National Alumni Survey - Master Sociology, 2017 | n=10
through Academic Collaborative Centers from TRANZO
National Alumni Survey - Master Sociology, 2017 | n=10
Program and courses
The central themes of this master are: healthcare policy, societal resilience, and health & wellbeing. Combining scientific insights from sociology and health sciences, and collaborating closely with healthcare organizations, you will learn how to become a specialist in the field of healthcare policy, societal resilience, and health and wellbeing. Learn how to analyze how health and wellbeing are related to welfare, healthcare politics and policy and how they are related to demographic and societal factors at different levels.
- Gain an international perspective on health, wellbeing and society in mainly Western societies.
- Participation of the unique Academic Collaborative Centers from Tranzo in theoretical modules as well as during the internship and thesis.
- Community-building activities throughout the program will ensure cohesion in the programs cohort, such as guest lecturers, simulation, serious gaming and study trips.
- Become part of an innovative program which brings together academics and students from all over the world in a small-scale and interactive learning environment.
- The Extended Master gives you the opportunity to enhance your practical and professional skills during a 6 month traineeship. An Extended Master adds an extra semester to your regular master’s program.
- With a Double degree program you have the opportunity to earn a degree from both Tilburg University and one of our partner universities:
- Double degree in Sociology and Social Research - Tilburg University and University of Trento (Trento, Italy)
- Double degree in Sociology and Population Studies – Tilburg University and Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona, Spain)
- Double Degree in Sociology - Tilburg University and University of Bamberg (Bamberg, Germany)
- This is a track of MSc Sociology. You specialize by following one of its tracks.
Typical courses are:
- Health, Resilience and Sustainability
- Health and Policy
- Social Policy and Social Risks
- The Social Structures of Western Societies
As a graduate you are able to manage projects and people within the context of complex health and wellbeing related societal problems. You will have acquired the knowledge as well as analytical and communication skills to lead and participate in innovation-oriented projects aiming to tackle health and wellbeing and (health)care related societal challenges. You will have learned to analyze demographic drivers and outcomes of societal issues, as well as of public interventions aimed at addressing (health) care challenges. As a graduate you are able to frame problems from a sociological as well as from a health and wellbeing perspective.
Some examples of our graduates' careers: policy advisor, policy executive, data analyst, researcher or trainer at:
- Average number of months until first paid job: 3,2
- 100% of our alumni does find a job within 6 months after graduation
- Employer requires a Master of Science degree: 60%
- Gross monthly income one year after graduation: €1,940
- Would choose the same program again, at the same university: 70%
- Will recommend the study to friends, family or colleagues:80%
- 90% of the graduates is (very) satisfied with the program
Source: National Alumni Survey – Master Sociology, 2017 | n=10
Application and admission
This track starts:
At the end of August and at the end of January
Best preparatory programs:
Sociology, Psychology, Social Geography, Anthropology, Culture Studies, Human Resource Studies, Organization Studies, and Liberal Arts and Sciences.
The Pre-Master’s program in Sociology (30 ECTS) is open to both Research University students and students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO). The Pre-Master's program starts at the end of August and at the end of January. After finishing the program, you can start with the track Health, Wellbeing and Society of the MSc Sociology.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's track?
Please feel free to contact us with your personal queries. You can contact us through the blue button on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Study choice events
To be announced
Trial lectures Master's programs Tilburg University
Are you interested in one or more Master's programs and do you want to experience what it is like to follow this program(s) at Tilburg University? Then follow a trial lecture! You can follow a regular lecture of the Master's program(s) of your choice in November and December, 2019.
10:00 - 14:45
Open day Master's programs
On Saturday 16 November, 2019. Get acquainted with our English taught Master's programs, get a taste of the atmosphere at our campus and speak with current students, lecturers and academic advisors.
Interested in the Health, Wellbeing and Society MSc track?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application
Related Master’s programs
- Sociology and Social Research (Double degree with University of Trento, Italy)
- Sociology and Population Studies (Double degree with UPF Barcelona, Spain)
- Sociology: Bamberg – Tilburg (Double degree with Bamberg University, Germany)
- Politics, Policy and Societal Development (track of MSc Sociology)
- Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences