International Business Law (LLM)
The impact of emerging technologies on business models, such as artificial intelligence and virtual reality, and the call for social responsibility by stakeholders, cannot be denied. This requires for a new role of lawyers, regulators, and other legal professionals. Become a creative lawyer who thinks and acts from an entrepreneurial point of view, facilitating new forms of business, negotiating deals, assisting start-up companies. This highly innovative Master's program focuses on business innovation, technology and law and is offered online and on campus.
Online or On Campus
Elsevier Beste Studies 2022
Program and courses
With this innovative Master's program the #1 Law School in the Netherlands (THE 2023) opens its doors to all students, either in Tilburg or anywhere in the world, and offers you an "open-world" experience. As a working professional you can also attend this academically innovative Master’s program online next to your job.
The program focusses on the following areas:
- Project-based and apprentice-style learning - You will have to dive into real-life problems and try to solve them. You will have to experiment, analyze, and innovate.
- Creative Thinking - You will learn to think fast and “out of the box”. Dynamic analysis of complex situations and the ability to communicate solutions, in presentations or in video form (vlogs, podcasts, etc.) will be key.
- Entrepreneurship - In the future, you will see more open and looser organizations and social platforms. It is therefore important that you find ways to become more productive and self-motivating, and to build your personal brand.
- Digital Literacy - You will study and experiment with digital tools – making videos and podcasts and writing blogs. But digital literacy goes beyond the mere use of digital tools. You will study the inner workings of emerging technologies and their meaning and impact on society.
- Group work - Discussions, conversations, and decisions is a big part of the learning process to get you future proof. You will co-learn in small-teams and compete against other teams in hackathons, complete assignments and quests, and interact with other participants.
- International Business Law Lab – Platform for practitioners to get in contact with you by making assignments available in the lab and for you to sign-up to these assignments. This will give you exposure and a foundation for future relations, for instance for an internship.
Typical courses are:
- International Business Law I and II
- Banking and Securities Regulation
- International Company Law
- International Competition Law
- Legal Negotiation Workshop
Lucy PetkovaTender Business Support Manager | Phillips
"The IBL Program trained us to be a new kind of lawyer - one who has a broader view of the defining factors of international business and is equipped to successfully navigate an interconnected business environment, saturated by new technologies."
Lars HodelHead Legal & Compliance | Bitcoin Suisse AG, Switzerland
"This Master’s program covered innovative topics in an international environment which enables me now to actively shape my legal role, lead a team, and stay agile in a dynamic industry."
As a Master of Laws in International Business Law you are well prepared for a career as a professional business lawyer or an in-house counsel of corporation. Graduates of this Master have become lawyers in civil service and transnational associations (both for-profit and non-profit) as well. They also work in consultancy, research and policy-making.
Some examples of our graduates' jobs:
- Lawyer at EY (Russia)
- Personal Care Legal Business Partner BG at Philips (Netherlands)
- Lecturer in Business Law at the University of Leeds (United Kingdom)
- CEO and co-founder of a FinTech start-up (Netherlands)
- Head Legal and Compliance at a regulated crypto financial broker, asset manager and service provider (Switzerland)
- Director Data Analytics at a global commercial real estate services organization (Netherlands)
Alumni facts Tilburg Law School
- Average number of months until first paid job: 2.35
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: €3.013,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2021| n = 98
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory program:
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Law
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in a Law related field
Available, but only in Dutch and for students with a HBO Recht Bachelor’s degree. The one-year Pre-Master’s program starts end of August and is offered on campus.
Tuition fees and scholarships
International students find all information about tuition fees and scholarships here.
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
Interested in the LLM International Business Law?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application