Law and Technology (LLM)
Technology is affecting society in each and every domain. There are legal questions everywhere regarding the impact of technology on society and regarding the way technology is shaping and regulating our society. Law and Technology gives answers to challenges of today’s technology driven society. In addition to traditional legal theory, the master's program is about the mutual impact of law, technology and normative outlooks. Become a legal expert in regulation of technology and regulation by technology.
On Campus if we can | Online because we can
This academic year, education will take place partly online and partly on campus depending on the corona measures in place. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff.
- There is an exception for the students that have opted to follow this program online in the academic year 2021/2022.
- The online options for the academic year 2022/2023 have not yet been decided upon. Therefore, students should take into account the possibility that in the next academic year, starting in September 2022, education will be organized fully on campus also for this program. When you apply for this program you will be informed about the practical matters.
Program and courses
- Learning is closely connected to professional practice, with lawyers from international offices actively involved in the lectures.
- No background in science or technology required. More important is your affinity with the social aspects of technology.
- Legal +, the program is multidisciplinary: the program has a legal outset, but broadens your perspective by including insights from other scientific domains such as economy, psychology, ethics and technology. The difficult changes we face today in society cannot be solved by only involving the legal discipline.
Typical courses are:
- Regulation: Ethics, Acceptance, Legitimacy
- Capita Selecta Privacy and Data Protection
- Advanced Topics in Intellectual Property Law
Stefano FantinPolicy Researcher Security and Cybercrime at KU Leuven
"The program gave me an extensive legislative and doctrinal view on the principles of privacy and data protection, something that I apply to my daily job."
Colette CuijpersProgram Director
"Alumni give guest lectures, offer traineeships, and help us innovate our courses. One such innovation is practical projects in which students do societally relevant research in collaboration with companies like ASML, Brinkhof, Louwers Advocaten, and Privacy International."
Chloë BaartmansAssociate Bird & Bird
"People really come to us when the legal issue becomes complex and unobvious, so the work you do is most often very intellectually challenging."
A Master of Laws in Law and Technology opens doors to a wide variety of careers all over the world. Pursue a leading position as a consultant, researcher, policy-maker, or lawyer specialized in law and technology.
Some examples of our graduates' jobs:
- Legal Consultant IP/IT & Commercial at Deloitte Nederland, Netherlands
- Privacy and Data Protection Legal Counsel at Philips, Netherlands
- Legal Counsel at ASML, Netherlands
- Regulatory & Compliance Advisor at PwC Luxembourg
Alumni facts Law and Technology
- Would choose the same Master's degree program at Tilburg University again: 77%
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: € 2.823,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n = 13
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August and end of January
Best preparatory programs:
A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree:
- in Law
- in Liberal Arts and Sciences (with a major in Law)
- with an equivalent of 90 ECTS in legal courses
Available, but only in Dutch and for students with a HBO Recht Bachelor’s degree. The one-year Pre-Master’s program starts end of August.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Live Webinars for Master's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs. Join the live webinar on February 11 or May 13.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
10:00 - 11:00
Admission and Application - Live webinar for Master’s programs
If you're interested in doing a Master's program at Tilburg University, and you want to know more about the application and admission process, you should join our webinar!
Interested in the LLM Law and Technology?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.