Law and Technology (LLM)
Technology is affecting society in each and every domain. There are legal questions everywhere regarding the impact of technology on society and regarding the way technology is shaping and regulating our society. In addition to traditional legal theory, the master's program is about the mutual shaping and impact of law, technology and society. Become a legal expert in regulation of technology and regulation by technology. Law and Technology gives answers to challenges of today’s technology driven society and is offered in a hybrid format, which gives you the opportunity to join the program online or on campus.
National Student Survey, 2022 | n=58
Online or On Campus
Program and courses
With this hybrid Master's program the #1 Law School in the Netherlands (THE 2022) opens its doors to all students, either in Tilburg or anywhere in the world. Courses take place both on-campus and online, giving you, the student, maximum flexibility. In fact, you do not have to choose for the whole year which way of studying suits you best; some classes you take on campus and others online, or all on campus or all online.
- A wide variety of electives (36 ECTS) allows you to give focus to your program and specialize in your area of interest.
- Learning is closely connected to professional practice, with lawyers from international offices actively involved in the lectures.
- No background in science or technology required. More important is your affinity with the social aspects of technology.
- Legal +, the program is multidisciplinary: the program has a legal outset, but broadens your perspective by including insights from other scientific domains such as economy, ethics, market mechanisms and techno-regulation. It offers a broader perspective on both legal and non-legal regulation.
- Assessment in most courses consist of two elements: your knowledge and skills are tested!
- The master's degree, in combination with a Dutch bachelor's degree in law, provides civil effect. This means you can get access to court positions and can qualify for the Dutch bar association and become practicing trail attorneys.
Typical courses are:
- Regulation: Ethics, Acceptance, Legitimacy
- Capita Selecta Privacy and Data Protection
- Advanced Topics in Intellectual Property Law
Stefano FantinPolicy Researcher Security and Cybercrime at KU Leuven
"The program gave me an extensive legislative and doctrinal view on the principles of privacy and data protection, something that I apply to my daily job."
Chloë BaartmansAssociate Bird & Bird
"People really come to us when the legal issue becomes complex and unobvious, so the work you do is most often very intellectually challenging."
Tineke BroerCoordinator Master Law and Technology
"The program focuses on regulatory and legal aspects of the introduction of innovative technologies. Students are trained in assessing the mutual relationships between technology, law, and society."
Please feel free to contact me with any questions you have regarding the Master Law and Technology.
A Master of Laws in Law and Technology opens doors to a wide variety of careers all over the world. Pursue a leading position as a consultant, researcher, policy-maker, or lawyer specialized in law and technology.
Some examples of our graduates' jobs:
- Legal Consultant IP/IT & Commercial at Deloitte Nederland, Netherlands
- Privacy and Data Protection Legal Counsel at Philips, Netherlands
- Legal Counsel at ASML, Netherlands
- Regulatory & Compliance Advisor at PwC Luxembourg
Alumni facts Law and Technology
- Would choose the same Master's degree program at Tilburg University again: 94%
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: € 3.026,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2021 | n = 18
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August and end of January
Best preparatory programs:
A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree:
- in Law
- in Liberal Arts and Sciences (with a major in Law)
- with an equivalent of 90 ECTS in legal courses
Available, but only in Dutch and for students with a HBO Recht Bachelor’s degree. The one-year Pre-Master’s program starts end of August and is offered on campus.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs.
10:00 - 11:00
Admission and Application - Live webinar for Master’s programs
If you are interested in doing a Master's program at Tilburg University, and you want to know more about the application and admission process, you should join this webinar!
Interested in the LLM Law and Technology?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.