Law and Technology (LLM)
Technology is affecting society in each and every domain. There are legal questions everywhere regarding the impact of technology on society and regarding the way technology is shaping and regulating our society. Law and Technology gives answers to challenges of today’s technology driven society. In addition to traditional legal theory, the master's program is about the mutual impact of law, technology and normative outlooks. Become a legal expert in regulation of technology and regulation by technology.
Education as of September 2022 | Law and Technology
In the academic year 2022/2023, this Master's program offers hybrid education, meaning the following:
- Students can choose to attend the classes either online or on campus.
- Exams will be organized exclusively online.
- Classes and exams will be scheduled according to the Central European Time zone.
- Recordings are made of most lectures, but we do not guarantee this.
If you apply for the Master Law and Technology, you will receive more information about the online and on campus option after you have been (conditionally) admitted.
For the latest updates on the corona situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
Program and courses
- Learning is closely connected to professional practice, with lawyers from international offices actively involved in the lectures.
- No background in science or technology required. More important is your affinity with the social aspects of technology.
- Legal +, the program is multidisciplinary: the program has a legal outset, but broadens your perspective by including insights from other scientific domains such as economy, psychology, ethics and technology. The difficult changes we face today in society cannot be solved by only involving the legal discipline.
Typical courses are:
- Regulation: Ethics, Acceptance, Legitimacy
- Capita Selecta Privacy and Data Protection
- Advanced Topics in Intellectual Property Law
Stefano FantinPolicy Researcher Security and Cybercrime at KU Leuven
"The program gave me an extensive legislative and doctrinal view on the principles of privacy and data protection, something that I apply to my daily job."
Colette CuijpersAssociate Professor Law and Technology
"Alumni give guest lectures, offer traineeships, and help us innovate our courses. One such innovation is practical projects in which students do societally relevant research in collaboration with companies like ASML, Brinkhof, Louwers Advocaten, and Privacy International."
Chloë BaartmansAssociate Bird & Bird
"People really come to us when the legal issue becomes complex and unobvious, so the work you do is most often very intellectually challenging."
A Master of Laws in Law and Technology opens doors to a wide variety of careers all over the world. Pursue a leading position as a consultant, researcher, policy-maker, or lawyer specialized in law and technology.
Some examples of our graduates' jobs:
- Legal Consultant IP/IT & Commercial at Deloitte Nederland, Netherlands
- Privacy and Data Protection Legal Counsel at Philips, Netherlands
- Legal Counsel at ASML, Netherlands
- Regulatory & Compliance Advisor at PwC Luxembourg
Alumni facts Law and Technology
- Would choose the same Master's degree program at Tilburg University again: 77%
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: € 2.823,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n = 13
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August and end of January
Best preparatory programs:
A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree:
- in Law
- in Liberal Arts and Sciences (with a major in Law)
- with an equivalent of 90 ECTS in legal courses
Available, but only in Dutch and for students with a HBO Recht Bachelor’s degree. The one-year Pre-Master’s program starts end of August.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
To be announced
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
09:30 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Interested in doing a Master's program? Find out which Master's program suits you best during our Master's Open day on November 19. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and study advisors your questions. Sign up for the Open day now!
Interested in the LLM Law and Technology?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.