LLM Law and Technology
Providing cutting-edge knowledge within the burgeoning field of technology regulation, Law and Technology gives answers to challenges of today’s technology-driven society. In addition to traditional legal doctrine, the program covers regulatory issues in the spheres of public, private, and criminal law, and such subjects as comparative law, jurisprudence, ethics, and public administration.
National Student Survey, 2017 | n=40
Social Science Research Network Ranking (SSRN, August 2018)
National Alumni Survey Tilburg Law School, 2016 | n=165
Program and courses
Cover different technologies, such as ICT and biotechnology, and different legal domains, such as intellectual property rights, privacy and data protection, and cybercrime.
- Learning is closely connected to professional practice, with lawyers from international offices actively involved in the lectures.
- No background in science or technology required. More important is your affinity with the social aspects of technology.
Typical courses are:
- Regulation: Ethics, Acceptance, Legitimacy
- Capita Selecta Privacy and Data Protection
- Advanced Topics in International Property Law
Merel HazesMaster's student
"The topics that are discussed in the master are very relevant today, it is really motivating to see your topics in the newspaper everyday! For example privacy policies of giants like Facebook, Amazon, Google are still not GDPR-compliant."
Sophie HendriksMaster's student
"The teachers have a lot of experience and connections in their field of expertise and are willing to help you in that regard in any way they can."
Stefano FantinPolicy Researcher Security and Cybercrime at KU Leuven
"The program gave me an extensive legislative and doctrinal view on the principles of privacy and data protection, something that I apply to my daily job."
A Master of Laws in Law and Technology opens doors to a wide variety of future careers all over the world. Pursue a leading position as a consultant, researcher, policy-maker, or lawyer specialized in law and technology.
Graduates work or started for example as:
- Legal Consultant IP/IT & Commercial at Deloitte Nederland, Netherlands
- Privacy and Data Protection Legal Counsel at Philips, Netherlands
- Legal Counsel at ASML, Netherlands
- Regulatory & Compliance Advisor at PwC Luxembourg
- Average number of months until first paid job: 4
- Employer requires an academic Master’s degree: 59%
- Gross monthly income one year after graduation: € 2.266,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2016 | n = 163
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August and end of January
Best preparatory programs:
A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree:
- in Law
- in Liberal Arts and Sciences (with a major in Law)
- with an equivalent of 90 ECTS in legal courses
Available, but only in Dutch and for students with a HBO Recht Bachelor’s degree. The one-year Pre-Master’s program starts end of August.
Tuition fees academic year 2018-2019
|€ 2,060*||€ 14,500|
* The EU rate only applies if you enroll for the program without a Master's degree from a Dutch university. More information about the tuition fees and scholarships available for international students.
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Study choice events
To be announced
Trial lectures Master's programs Tilburg University
Are you interested in one of our Master's programs and do you want to experience what it's like to follow this program at Tilburg University? Then follow a trial lecture of the Master's program of your choice! You can follow a trial lecture from November 1st until December 31st 2018.
10:00 - 14:45
Open day Master's programs
The Open day on Saturday 17 November 2018 offers you the opportunity to get acquainted with our English taught (Pre-)Master's programs and Research Masters, get a taste of the atmosphere at our campus and speak with current students, lecturers and academic advisors.
Interested in the LLM Law and Technology?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application