Methods and Statistics track (Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences)
Specialize in methods and statistics to tackle research questions with increasingly complex data. As a track of the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences, the Methods and Statistics program delves into the individual's behavior in different social contexts (e.g., peers, family, groups, social networks) with a specialization that has a strong analytical and quantitative focus.
On Campus if we can | Online because we can
This academic year, education will take place partly online and partly on campus depending on the corona measures in place. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. For the latest updates on the corona situation see our FAQs for prospective students and current students.
to apply your knowledge
to improve your research skills
QS Ranking, 2021
Program and courses
Become specialized in methods and statistics while studying individual behaviors in different social contexts from three social sciences perspectives: social psychology, sociology, and organization studies.
- You learn how to design high-quality research and develop and apply advanced statistical techniques to tackle research questions with increasingly complex data.
- Your methodological and statistical skills, paired with interdisciplinary knowledge of the social and behavioral sciences, will give you a competitive advantage on a wide range of applied or fundamental (research) positions.
- Participate in 4 in-house research traineeships and 1 international research traineeship and work together with renowned national and international academics.
- Small scale and interactive education with individual guidance. There are more full-time professors than students. And no more than 30 students in a class, from different academic and cultural backgrounds.
- Write two scientific papers as part of the curriculum.
- Become part of an ambitious and international group of students and experience the real 'cohort' feeling.
- Apply your knowledge and research skills by participating in four in-house research traineeships and 1 international research traineeship.
Typical courses are:
- Mathematical Methods
- Categorical Data Analysis
- Multivariate Analysis, including Multilevel Models
- Bayesian Statistics
Ömer Emre Can AlagözMaster's student
"I learned advanced topics in categorical data analysis and improved my programming skills. With traineeships and the first-year paper, we were able to get hands-on experiences and decide in which direction we want to proceed. In the end, I am confident about my research skills and feel ready for pursuing a PhD."
Anya TonneAnalytics Consultant at Cmotions
"Extensive training in statistics is complemented by a diverse theoretical curriculum, which gives a great methodological knowledge on how to conduct research independently. Also, small class-sizes allowed us to discuss concepts in-depth and in a friendly atmosphere."
dr. Lieke VonckenResearcher at Tilburg University
"In the Research Master, I learned state-of-the-art methodology from experts in their fields. What I liked most was that I was able to choose a direction based on my own research interests. Also, I really liked the informal and friendly atmosphere. Because of this, we became a really close group."
You will become an all-round researcher who thinks outside the box and who is specialized in one of the four academic perspectives. This track gives you a competitive advantage in any career that requires sharp analytical and problem-solving skills, project management, or hands-on experience with the full empirical research cycle. Our graduates have developed strong careers in- and outside academia.
Recent alumni placements include:
- PhD student (Stanford University, Tilburg University)
- Behavioral Change Expert (Dijksterhuis & Van Baaren)
- Data Analyst and Research Expert (ING Bank)
- Average number of months until first paid job: 1
- 100% find a job within 3 months after graduation
- 100% would recommend this Master’s program to friends, family, or colleagues
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n=4
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
Academic Bachelor's or Master's program in Psychology, Sociology, Organization Studies, or Human Resource Studies.
The Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences does not offer a pre-Master’s program. However, in case you successfully complete one of the pre-Master’s programs of the Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences (e.g., the pre-Master's program in Sociology, Organization Studies, or Human Resource Studies) you become eligible for admission to the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences. Please note that the other admission requirements and application procedure still apply.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
09:00 - 17:00
Online Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Online Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and pre-Masters and ask our teachers, students and study advisors your questions.
Interested in the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences?
Do you have:
the ambitions for an intellectual challenge
strong critical and analytical abilities
an interest in and experience with doing research
Then check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.