Program and courses New Media Design
Develop into an expert in the field of content and interaction design in relation to new media. Connect theory with practice in case-based projects and gain practical skills such as: interaction design, visualization and creativity.
This one-year track of MSc Communication and Information Sciences consists of 60 credits (ECTS):
- 4 elective track courses and 2 electives (36 ECTS in total)
- 2 Research Skills courses (6 ECTS)
- Master’s thesis (18 ECTS)
You can start at the end of August or at the end of January.
Choose 6 elective core courses
You need to select at least 4 courses that are classified as NMD (New Media Design). You may then choose 2 courses from a wide range of electives from all the tracks of the Master’s program Communication and Information Sciences.
Below are courses that are classified under NMD:
- Interactive Storytelling (6 ECTS)
- Responsible-UX Design (6 ECTS)
- Emerging Technologies for Learning (6 ECTS)
- The Human Mind in the Digital World (6 ECTS)
- Design Research (6 ECTS)
- Language, Technology & Cognition (6 ECTS)
- Digital Food Marketing (6 ECTS)
- Data and (Mis)information (6 ECTS)
- Social Media: Risks & Opportunities (6 ECTS)
- Language Technology & Society (6 ECTS)
- Digital Health Communication (6 ECTS)
- Creativity and Innovation (6 ECTS)
- Virtual, Augmented, and Mixed Reality (6 ECTS)
- Social Media Marketing (6 ECTS) (taught in Dutch)
Research Skills courses
Choose at least 2 Research Skills modules (6 ECTS in total) from the list below:
- Usability and User Experience Evaluation (recommended)
- Rapid Prototyping (recommended)
- Academic Writing
- Visual Thinking and Composition
- Analysis of Variance
- Eye Tracking
- Social Media Analytics
- Research Interview
- Online Data Collection
You start with your Master's Thesis (18 ECTS) in the first lecture week of the third block of your study and complete it at the end of the fourth block.
- For your Master's thesis, you will conduct research on a subject related to New Media Design.
- You will be paired with a supervisor with expertise in the area of the topic you have indicated your interest in.
- Under certain conditions, you will have the opportunity to link your thesis research to a research question from a company or organization.
You will find a detailed description of the courses and required literature in our course catalog.
Please note: programs are subject to change. We advise you to look up the current program in OSIRIS Student at the start of the year.
Do you want to know more about this Master’s program?
Find out more during one of our events
Short overview of New Media Design
Become an expert in online content strategy, production, and design and learn how to measure their effects and effectiveness.
- Learn how people will assess what information is relevant and trustworthy, and how to design and evaluate new media content to have the desired effects on the receiver's attitudes and behaviors.
- Learn methods to investigate which factors increase the impact of new media.
Gain creative skills and skills in visualization, and learn how to create prototypes that you can test among users.
Apply theories and methods to issues like:
- How can new media be used and designed to stimulate healthy behavior?
- With which data visualization techniques can you give consumers feedback on the effects of their behavior when you want to strengthen their awareness on environment?
- How can games and 'gamification' support the learning process in education?
- How can new media contribute to reducing loneliness among the elderly?
Interested in the New Media Design track?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application