Organizing for Global Social Challenges
In the Master's track Organizing for Global Social Challenges, you become an expert in sustainable development in an international context, by addressing global societal challenges such as poverty, inequality, migration, climate change, environmental degradation, or humanitarian interventions after a natural disaster. Consider the role of organizations and businesses in tackling global societal challenges through different interventions. This is a track of MSc Organization and Management Studies.
Education and COVID-19
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
National Student Survey, 2022 | n=55
National Alumni Survey, 2021 | n=16
Program and courses
You will develop a macro- and meso-level perspective on sustainable development, with emphasis on social and economic drivers and motives. Specifically, you will examine and discuss how organizations may address sustainable development goals by designing sustainable business models, and examine the difficulties and shortcomings these interventions may entail. You will explore the emergence of new hybrid organizations, like social entrepreneurship, the challenges they face, and how they overcome them.
- You learn how to develop organizational interventions, run projects and assemble teams of experts who address global societal challenges.
- Become part of an innovative program which brings together academics and students from all over the world in a small-scale and interactive learning environment.
- With approximately 50% international students in your classroom, the program does not only offer an international perspective on sustainable development, but is international itself.
- This track offers a unique perspective on sustainable development, by specifically considering the role of organizations in addressing global societal challenges.
Typical courses are:
- Social Changes and Sustainable Development
- Hybrid Organizations
- Complexity within Organizations
- Inter-organizational relationships
"During my internship at Care Nederland I did research on social media use for women's rights in Afghanistan. My research gave me even more insight into the challenges that women in Afghanistan have to face every day."
Josine LeeuwdrentMaster’s student
"I was looking for the balance between thinking about societal issues from a sociological and philosophical perspective and getting practical tools to do business better. I enjoyed to study with so many like-minded people, which made it worthwhile!"
As a graduate, you understand societal challenges in the framework of sustainable development and manage projects and people that strive to bring about change, development or innovation in an international context. You can understand problems from multiple perspectives, analyze causes and consequences of societal issues and lead and participate in change and innovation projects. With these skills you are the linking pin in a multi-disciplinary team, as project manager, consultant, policymaker or policy consultant.
Some examples of our graduates' jobs:
- Consultant in an international organization, connecting people in order to create the most competent team to solve complex problems.
- Fundraiser finding solutions for poverty, or helping with introducing sustainable practices in supply chains.
- Project manager making projects run smoothly to produce the best possible results.
Application and admission
This program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
A Bachelor’s degree in Global Management of Social Issues, Sociology, Human Resource Studies, Organization Studies, or Social Sciences.
Open to both Research University students and students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (hbo).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
12:30 - 16:30
Master Experience Days TSB
The Master Experience Days (MED) is a study- and career-orientation event for for all students looking for a Master's program of the Tilburg School for Social and Behavioral Sciences (TSB).
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs.
Interested in the Organizing for Global Social Challenges MSc track ?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application