Organizing for Global Social Challenges
Become an expert in sustainable development in an international context, by addressing global societal challenges such as poverty, inequality, migration, climate change, environmental degradation, or humanitarian interventions after a natural disaster. Consider the role of organizations and businesses can play in tackling global societal challenges through different interventions.
On-campus education as of August 2021 | pleased to meet you
National Student Survey, 2021 | n=6
US News Best Global Universities, 2021
National Alumni Survey - Master Organization Studies, 2020 | n=9
Program and courses
You will acquire a meso-level perspective on sustainable development, focused on social and economic drivers and motives. Specifically, you will examine and discuss how organizations may address sustainable development goals by designing sustainable business models, and examine the difficulties and shortcomings these interventions may entail. You will explore the emergence of new hybrid organizations, like social entrepreneurship, the challenges they face, and how they overcome them.
- A different perspective on sustainable development: this specialization considers the role of organizations and private businesses in addressing global social challenges, in addition to the emergence of new organizational forms to achieve sustainable development goals.
- Students learn how to develop organizational interventions, run projects and compose teams of experts that address global societal challenges.
- Community-building activities throughout the program will ensure cohesion in the programs cohort. Become part of an innovative program which brings together academics and students from all over the world in a small-scale and interactive learning environment.
- Benefit from an internationally focused, and internationally composed program with approximately 50% international students.
Typical courses are:
- Social Changes and Sustainable Development
- Hybrid Organizations
- Complexity within Organizations
- Inter-organizational relationships
"During my internship at Care Nederland I did research on social media use for women's rights in Afghanistan. My research gave me even more insight into the challenges that women in Afghanistan have to face every day."
Become prepared to lead and participate in change- and innovation-oriented projects aiming to tackle societal challenges. In this program you’ll learn to combine multi-disciplinary disciplines to address complex societal challenges from a cross-cultural and international comparative perspective.
With this knowledge, you can think beyond country borders and the limits of one area of expertise. These skills are in great demand within companies, organizations and projects operating in international environments.
Some examples of our graduates' jobs:
- Consultant in an international organization, connecting people in order to create the most competent team to solve complex problems.
- Fundraiser finding solutions for poverty, or helping with introducing sustainable practices in supply chains.
- Project manager making projects run smoothly to produce the best possible results.
Application and admission
This program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
A Bachelor’s degree in Global Management of Social Issues, Sociology, Human Resource Studies, Organization Studies, or Social Sciences.
Open to both Research University students and students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (hbo).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Unfortunately, we cannot organize any on-campus events at the moment. To help you as much as possible with your study choice, we offer online alternatives.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Live Webinars for Master's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs. You can sign up for one of the sessions on September 24, or October 15, either at 10:00 or 16:00.
13:30 - 15:45
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home. You can participate on Wednesday, October 13, 2021.
09:00 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and Pre-Masters and ask your questions to our teachers, students and study advisors.
Interested in the Organizing for Global Social Challenges MSc track ?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application