Philosophy of Humanity and Culture
Study modern European philosophical traditions and classics. You learn to pose fundamental questions, analyze key theories and apply critical thought to the understanding of contemporary art, culture and media society. The knowledge and insights you acquire in this track is the best foundation for a career in philosophy, writing, journalism, teaching or research.
On Campus if we can | Online because we can
National Student Survey (Philosophy studies, all tracks), 2019 | n=23
Keuzegids Masters, 2019
National Alumni Survey, 2019 | n=10 (Master Philosophy, all tracks)
Program and courses
- Learn to analyze and identify forms of political injustice by understanding how gender and race fit within different historical and social structures.
- Examine and interpret the experience of war, loss and migration and their impact on art, philosophy and humanity today.
- Get to know the relation between philosophy and art, philosophy and religion, and philosophy and psycho-analysis.
- Focus on the influence of German and French thinkers of the past 200 years on the latest developments in European and American philosophy.
- This track puts particular emphasis on the role of memory, gender, the relationship between literature, film, and philosophy, war, art and remembrance, and that between religion and secularization.
Typical courses are:
- Identity, Race and Gender
- Masters of Suspicion
- Philosophy of Media and Online Culture
- Philosophy and Art after War
- Digital Aesthetics
- Close Reading
After completing the Master’s track in Philosophy of Humanity and Culture you will be an expert in the understanding of human existence, culture, and society.
The knowledge, insights and skills you acquire in this track, such as continually asking questions, observing, reasoning, speaking and writing, offer a solid foundation for a career in philosophy, writing, journalism, teaching or research.
- Number of months until first paid job: 3
- 90% of our alumni find a job within 1 month
- 90% would choose this program again at Tilburg University
Source: Alumni of Philosophy (all tracks) | National Alumni Survey, 2019 | n = 10
Application and admission
This program starts:
End of August and End of January (both the Master’s and the Pre-Master’s program)
Best preparatory programs:
Bachelor’s degree in Philosophy, Administration Studies, Political Studies, Economics, Law, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Global Management of Social Issues, European Studies, Communication Sciences, Human Resource Management, Psychology and Social Sciences.
Open to both Research University students and students of a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Unfortunately, we cannot organize any on-campus events at the moment. To help you as much as possible with your study choice, we offer online alternatives.
Interested in the Philosophy of Humanity and Culture track?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application