Philosophy of Mind and Psychology
Take a philosophical approach to understand the human psyche. By delving into philosophical texts and reflecting on theories and findings from other relevant disciplines - such as psychology, cognitive science, and artificial intelligence - you will gain more insights into mental phenomena, such as ‘emotions’, ‘intelligence’ and ‘cognition’, as well as moral and existential questions. Philosophy of Mind and Psychology is a track of the MA Philosophy.
National Student Survey (Philosophy studies, all tracks), 2019 | n=23
Alumni of Philosophy | National Alumni Survey, 2019 | n = 10 (Master Philosophy, all tracks)
Program and courses
Apply a philosophical approach to study at the intersection of philosophy and psychology and reflect on the mental phenomena that jointly make up the ‘human mind’.
Examples of questions you will reflect on:
- How do we cope with crises, insecurities and turbulence?
- How susceptible are we to external influences and can we still claim to be free and autonomous agents?
- What role do emotions play in our mental lives?
- Why do we make cognitive mistakes and do these mean we are not as rational as we think and want to be?
- How and to what extent is the human mode of coming to grips with reality through (knowledge-based) understanding, itself limited with regards to grasping the human mind?
- What are the limits of psychology, as a discipline?
- What does psychology contribute to our understanding of all this? And how can philosophy help deepen that understanding?
Typical courses are:
- Crisis and Insecurity
- The Intelligence of Emotions
- Thinking Mistakes
- Philosophy and the Limits of Psychology
- Philosophy of Influence
- Psychoanalysis and the Unconscious
- Brains and Bodies
After completing the Master’s track in Philosophy of Mind and Psychology, you will be able to reflect critically on what we (can) claim to know about the workings of the mind and its connection to human life.
The knowledge and insights you acquire in this track, offer a solid foundation for a career in research, education, consultancy, policy-making, politics, journalism, counseling, coaching, or mental health care.
- Number of months until first paid job: 3
- 90% of our alumni find a job within 1 month
- 90% would choose this program again at Tilburg University
Source: Alumni of Philosophy (all tracks) | National Alumni Survey, 2019 | n = 10
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August and end of January* (both the Master’s and the pre-Master’s program)
*Philosophy of Mind and Psychology is a new track that starts as of end of August 2021. Starting in January is therefore possible as of 2022.
Best preparatory programs:
Bachelor’s degree in Philosophy, or - combined with the pre-Master - a Bachelor’s degree in the field of Humanities or Social Sciences.
Open to both research university students and students of a Dutch university of applied sciences (HBO).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Unfortunately, we cannot organize any on-campus events at the moment. To help you as much as possible with your study choice, we offer online alternatives.
10:00 - 16:00
Tilburg University Today Live Webinars for Master's programs
The Tilburg University Today Live Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs.
12:00 - 16:00
Online Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then sign up for the Online Master's Open day on Saturday, March 13.
Interested in the Philosophy of Mind and Psychology track?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.