Politics, Policy and Societal Development
Become an expert in sustainable development in an international context by addressing global societal challenges. You acquire a macro- and meso-level perspective on sustainable development with a focus on social and economic drivers and motives. You translate important societal questions into sociological research to evaluate policies and to serve as input for new policies.
Education as of September 2022
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the corona situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
National Alumni Survey - Master Sociology, 2020 | n=6
National Student Survey - Master Sociology, 2021 | n=33
Program and courses
Become an expert in sustainable development within an international context by addressing global societal challenges, such as poverty and inequality, migration, climate change, or humanitarian interventions after a natural disaster. You examine and discuss how organizations may address sustainable development goals by designing sustainable business models and leveraging digital platforms. and the difficulties and shortcomings these interventions may entail. The core theme is sustainable development with a focus on social and economic motives. You adress societal issues at the macro- and micro-level from a sociological perspective.
- A different perspective on sustainable development: the Politics, Policy and Societal Development track address global societal issues from a societal, policy and political perspective.
- Learn how to run projects and compose teams of experts.
- Community-building activities throughout the program will ensure cohesion in the programs cohort. Become part of an innovative program which brings together academics and students from all over the world in a small-scale and interactive learning environment.
- The program does not only offer an international perspective on sustainable development, but is also international in itself. Approximately 50% of the students is international.
- With the double degree program (Double degree in Sociology and Social Research), you have the opportunity to earn a degree from both Tilburg University and the University of Trento, in Italy.
- Add half a year to your Master's program by doing an Extended Master. During the Extended Master's program, you do a traineeship where you will enhance your skills and gain relevant work experience.
Typical courses are:
- Social Changes and Sustainable Development
- Hybrid Organizations
- Politics and Society in Comparative Perspective
- Social Policy and Social Risks
You're prepared to lead and participate in change- and innovation-oriented projects aiming to tackle societal challenges. In this program you learn to combine disciplines to address complex societal challenges from a cross-cultural and international comparative perspective.
With this knowledge, you can think beyond country borders and the limits of one area of expertise. These skills are in great demand within companies, organizations and projects operating in international environments.
Some examples of our graduates' jobs:
- Consultant in an international organization, connecting people in order to create the most competent team to solve complex problems.
- Fundraiser finding solutions for poverty, or helping with introducing sustainable practices in supply chains.
- Project manager making projects run smoothly to produce the best possible results.
- 83% of our alumni find a job within 6 months after graduation
- On average 4 months between graduation and first job
- Gross salary per month: €2652,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n=6
Application and admission
This program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
A bachelor’s degree in Global Management of Social Issues, Sociology, Human Resource Studies, Organization Studies, or Social Sciences.
Open to both Research University students and students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (hbo).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
To be announced
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
09:30 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Interested in doing a Master's program? Find out which Master's program suits you best during our Master's Open day on November 19. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and study advisors your questions. Sign up for the Open day now!
Interested in the Politics, Policy and Societal Development MSc track?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application
Related Master’s programs
- Health, Wellbeing and Society track
- Organizing for Global Social Challenges track
- Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Sociology and Social Research (Double degree with University of Trento, Italy)
- Sociology and Population Studies (Double degree with UPF Barcelona, Spain)
- Sociology: Bamberg – Tilburg (Double degree with Bamberg University, Germany)