Pre-Master’s program Sociology: Politics, Policy and Societal Development track
The pre-Master’s program in Sociology: Politics, Policy and Societal Development is designed for (1) Dutch students with a relevant Dutch hbo degree, and (2) Dutch and international students with a university degree that does not entirely meet the admission requirements of the Master's program.
For Dutch hbo graduates
The pre-Master's program for Dutch hbo graduates builds on the practice-oriented knowledge you acquired during your Bachelor's by enhancing your theoretical knowledge as well as your capacity for conceptual thinking.
This half-year pre-Master’s program (30 ECTS) has two intake moments.
- The first runs from the end of August until January.
- The second runs from the end of January until June.
After finishing the pre-Master's program with good results, you can start with:
- The one-year Master's track Politics, Policy and Society in Comparative Perspective at the end of January or at the end of August next academic year.
- The one-year Master's track Politics, Policy, and Societal Development at the end of August next academic year.
- The one-year Master's track Health, Wellbeing and Society at the end of January or at the end of August next academic year.
The courses are:
- Introduction to Sociology
- Research Project pre-Master Sociology
- Causal analysis techniques for pre-Master students
- Methods, Measurement and Statistics for pre-Master students
- Global Migration
- Sociological and Historical Perspectives on Identities
- Sociology of Work
- Family in Context: How Families Define Us
You will find a detailed description of the courses and required literature in our course catalog.
Application and admission
To be eligible for this pre-Master's program, you must have completed a Dutch hbo-Bachelor's program that gives direct access to the pre-Master's program.
For Dutch wo and international students
Tilburg University offers a pre-Master’s program designed for students with a university Bachelor’s degree – national or international – that does not entirely meet the entry requirements of the Master’s program Sociology: Politics, Policy and Societal Development.
After you have submitted your complete application, the Admissions Committee will, based on this, decide whether:
- You can be admitted to the Master’s program directly.
- You need to take a pre-Master’s program.
- You cannot be admitted to the (pre-)Master’s program.
Do you want to know more about this pre-Master’s program?
Visit this pre-Master’s information session during the upcoming Open day
Interested in the Politics, Policy and Societal Development MSc track?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application