Positive Psychology and Well-being
During the Master's program Positive Psychology and Well-being, you become a scientist-practitioner in the broad field of psychology. As a master in positive psychology, you focus on people’s strengths and talents, and the positive aspects of human functioning. You can apply this within the broad domain of mental health services, schools and companies. This is a track of the Master’s program Psychology and Mental Health.
On-campus education as of August 2021 | pleased to meet you
National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n=61
National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n=59
Program and courses
Positive psychology is the scientific study of the strengths and virtues that enable individuals and communities to thrive in their personal life, schools and universities, companies, and mental health care.
- Study concepts like creativity, happiness, developing talents and strengths, adaptive power and psychological well-being in the context of individuals, personal life, health, education, entrepreneurship and society in general.
- Become trained in interventions to establish happiness and behavioral change by identifying and developing people’s strengths and talents.
- This program approaches psychological problems from a different perspective than other Master's programs in psychology and Mental health. It is based on the principle that people with psychological problems also have healthy and strong characteristics, which can be strengthened.
- This Master's track uses the scientist-practitioner model, with a strong link between theory and practice. You learn to conduct independent research and you put what you've learned into practice during an internship. You also attend guest lectures from professional practice.
Please note that this Master’s track does not provide the qualification required for the Dutch post-Master's program to become a GZ psychologist or psychotherapist. For more information, visit the website: Bewijsstukken voor aanvragen LOGO verklaring.
Typical courses are:
- Introduction and Theories of Positive Psychology
- Personal Development, Growth and Resilience
- Positive Institutions
- Assessment and Interventions
Being able to guide positive change processes on an individual, interpersonal and organizational level (HR-departments or training and consultancy firms), positive psychologists can be employed in the broad domain of schools, companies and mental health services.
- Identify and stimulate talent development and motivation in schools and universities, as coach, trainer or consultant.
- Help employees and companies to recruit the right people in the right positions, by gaining insight into their talents and strengths, or by establishing a suitable work environment for people with disabilities.
- Contribute to mental health care with a strength-oriented approach instead of a disorder-based approach. Psychologists are often one-sidedly trained in diagnosing and treating disorders, focusing on the co-morbidities and thus ignoring the fact that people with complaints are also people with talents and co-vitalities.
- On average 2 months until first paid job
- 87% of our alumni find a job within 6 months after graduation
- Gross monthly income one year after graduation: € 2,504
- 88% of the graduates is (very) satisfied with the program
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2020| n=25
Application and admission
This master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
Psychology with a specialization in, for example, cognitive neuropsychology, forensic psychology, clinical psychology, medical psychology, lifespan and developmental psychology.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this master's track?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
10:00 - 17:00
Application and admission webinar for Master's programs
If you're interested in doing a Master's program at Tilburg University, and you want to know more about the application and admission process, you should join our webinar on December 10th!
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
09:00 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and pre-Masters and ask our teachers, students and study advisors your questions.
Interested in the MSc Positive Psychology and Well-being?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application