Public Governance: Public Administration, Economics and Law (MSc)
The leaders of today and tomorrow face immense challenges, including climate change and energy transition, refugee crisis, transnational organized crime and most recently the COVID-19 pandemic. These are multi-level and multi-actor governance issues that require creative solutions. A comparative and cross-national and multidisciplinary approach is essential. Combine the disciplines of public administration, law and economics in our Master's program in Public Governance to become an elite strategical force, in the Netherlands or abroad.
On-campus education as of August 2021 | pleased to meet you
combined: Public Administration, Economics and Law
to specialize and shape your portfolio
Program and courses
Become part of a small-scaled and interdisciplinary community of outstanding scholars, students and alumni from all over the world.
- Put theory into practice. Tackle complex and wicked problems for a 'real life' client in the areas of governance and public administration using both quantitative and qualitative methods during the Governance Clinic .
- No boundaries. An transnational governance perspective ensures you learn from best practices in other countries – valuable skills later on in your career.
- Networking is key. Learn to co-create innovative governance solutions together with fellow students, with experts in the field and important stakeholders like citizens, non-state actors, and businesses.
- Specialize and shape your portfolio. Choose one of four themes related to public administration, law and economics and become an expert in this field:
- Governing the Transition to a Sustainable Society
- Justice, Security, and the Governance of Risks
- Governance for Health, Education, and Welfare
- Democratic Governance and Digital Innovation
- You are not only provided with expert knowledge and academic skills, we also train you in 21st century (soft) skills like creative academic writing, presenting and debating, teaming or networking.
- There will be a personal mentor available at your request to guide you through your academic endeavors: who will give you plenty of tips and tricks on studying, who will provide you with career advice and who will be happy to help in case of any problems. A buddy system connects students to support each other.
Typical courses are:
- Good Governance
- Public Entrepreneurship and Strategy
- Governance Clinic (team research for a 'real life' client)
Mounir AzzaouiMaster's student
"Public governance is one of the key topics covered by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. This shows that it is an essential area of study to promote policies that will improve economic and social well-being."
Ginda PamelaMaster's student
"This Master's program encourages me to address an array of complex issues in alignment with proper analytical and public management skills."
Max van DijkAdvisor Public Affairs at municipality of Breda
"I really enjoyed the structure of the program: introducing courses, in-depth subjects and more practical courses providing the opportunity for external research."
As a Master of Science in Public Governance, you are well equipped to analyze complex problems from economic, judicial, political, and institutional perspectives, using both quantitative and qualitative methods. These skills make you eligible for a broad range of professions in the public, private and non-profit sector, such as management, strategic consultancy, or policy research. Be the leader of tomorrow and become an active player in shaping the worlds’ future.
Alumni facts Tilburg Law School
- Average number of months until first paid job: 3.04
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: € 2.665,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n = 76
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree:
- in Public Governance
- in Public Administration
- in Law
- in Economics
- in Tax Economics
- in Global Management of Social Issues
- in Sociology
- in Liberal Arts and Sciences
- an academic Bachelor’s degree in a related field with sufficient knowledge of politics, policy, governance, or economics
Dutch speaking students can apply for the Dutch-taught Pre-Master’s program. This program is meant for students with a Bachelor’s degree HBO Bestuurskunde, HBO Integrale Veiligheid, or HBO MER – Bedrijfskunde or equivalent.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
09:30 - 17:15
Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and Pre-Masters and ask your questions to our teachers, students and study advisors.
10:00 - 17:00
Application and admission webinar for Master's programs
If you're interested in doing a Master's program at Tilburg University, and you want to know more about the application and admission process, you should join our webinar on December 10th!
Interested in the MSc Public Governance?
- Are you always looking for alternative answers and solutions to challenging problems? - Are you on top of the latest news? - And do you want to look across borders? Then check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.