Public Governance: Public Administration, Economics and Law (MSc)
The leaders of today and tomorrow face immense challenges: climate change, refugee crisis, and international drug trafficking. These are multi-level governance issues that ask for creative solutions and an international and interdisciplinary approach. Combine the disciplines of public administration, law and economics in our Master's program in Public Governance to become an elite strategical force, both in the Netherlands and abroad.
combined: Public Administration, Economics and Law
to specialize and shape your portfolio
US News Best Global Universities, 2020
Program and courses
Become part of the Tilburg Institute of Governance (TIG): a small-scaled and interdisciplinary community of outstanding scholars, students and alumni from all over the world.
- Put theory into practice. Tackle complex and wicked problems in the areas of governance and public administration using both quantitative and qualitative methods during the Governance Clinic.
- No boundaries. An international governance perspective ensures you learn from best practices in other countries – valuable skills later on in your career.
- Networking is key. Learn to co-create innovative governance solutions with experts in the field and important stakeholders like citizens, non-state actors, and businesses.
- Specialize and shape your portfolio. Choose one of five themes related to public administration, law and economics and become an expert in this field:
- Governing the Transition to a Sustainable Society and Economy
- Justice, Security, and the Governance of Risks
- Governance for Health, Education, and Welfare
- Economic and Financial Governance of Europe in a Globalizing World
- Democratic Governance and Innovation
- You are not only provided with expert knowledge and academic skills, we also train you in (soft) skills like creative academic writing, presenting and debating.
- There will be a personal mentor available at your request to guide you through your academic endeavors: who will give you plenty of tips and tricks on studying, who will provide you with career advice and who will be happy to help in case of any problems.
Typical courses are:
- Governance and Law
- Good Governance
- Public Entrepreneurship
- Public Strategy
Mounir AzzaouiMaster's student
"Public governance is one of the key topics covered by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. This shows that it is an essential area of study to promote policies that will improve economic and social well-being."
Ginda PamelaMaster's student
"This Master's program encourages me to address an array of complex issues in alignment with proper analytical and public management skills."
Max van DijkAdvisor Public Affairs at municipality of Breda
"I really enjoyed the structure of the program: introducing courses, in-depth subjects and more practical courses providing the opportunity for external research."
As a Master of Science in Public Governance, you are well equipped to analyze complex problems in the public sector from economic, judicial, political, and institutional perspectives, using both quantitative and qualitative methods. These skills make you eligible for a broad range of professions in the public sector, such as management, strategic consultancy, or policy research. Be the leader of tomorrow and become an active player in shaping the worlds’ future.
Alumni facts Tilburg Law School
- Average number of months until first paid job: 2.86
- Employer requires an academic Master’s degree: 68%
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: € 2.468,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2018 | n = 118
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree:
- in Public Governance
- in Public Administration
- in Economics
- in Sociology
- in Liberal Arts and Sciences
- an academic Bachelor’s degree in a related field with sufficient knowledge of politics, policy, governance, or economics
Dutch speaking students can apply for the Dutch-taught Pre-Master’s program. This program is meant for students with a Bachelor’s degree HBO Bestuurskunde, HBO Integrale Veiligheid, or HBO MER – Bedrijfskunde or equivalent.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Interested in the MSc Public Governance?
- Are you always looking for alternative answers and solutions to challenging problems? - Are you on top of the latest news? - And do you want to look across borders? Then check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.