Public Governance (MSc)
The leaders of today and tomorrow face immense challenges: climate change, refugee crisis, and international drug trafficking. These are multi-level governance issues that ask for creative solutions. Hence, an international and interdisciplinary approach is essential. Combine the disciplines of public administration, law and economics in our Master's program in Public Governance and become an elite strategical force, both in the Netherlands and abroad.
combined: Public Administration, Economics and Law
to specialize and shape your portfolio
Times Higher Education Ranking 2019
Program and courses
As a student of the Master's program in Public Governance, you will become part of the Tilburg Institute of Governance (TIG). A unique small-scaled, interdisciplinary and innovative community of outstanding scholars, students and alumni from all over the world.
We believe that great education prepares you for your professional future, not just for a diploma. This means we will not only provide you with all the knowledge and research methods necessary for your career. Also personal skills will receive much attention.
- Put theory into practice. Tackle complex and wicked problems in the areas of governance and public administration using both quantitative and qualitative methods during the Governance Clinic.
- No boundaries. An international governance perspective ensures you learn from best practices in other countries – valuable skills later on in your career.
- Networking is key. Learn to co-create innovative governance solutions with experts in the field and important stakeholders like citizens, non-state actors, and businesses.
- Specialize and shape your portfolio. Choose one of five themes related to public administration, law and economics and become an expert in this field:
- Governing the Transition to a Sustainable Society
- Justice, Security, and the Governance of Risks
- Governance for Health, Education, and Welfare
- Economic and Financial Governance of Europe in a Globalizing World
- Democratic Governance and Innovation
- Your future. We will not only provide you with expert knowledge and academic skills, but also with a set of (soft) skills like creative academic writing, presenting and debating. We provide an attractive and innovative way of teaching, where we will be focusing on these skills, both during our regular classes and in a series of workshops. These personal skills are an asset in today’s competitive job market.
- Personal coaching. There will be a personal mentor available at your request to guide you through your academic endeavors: who will give you plenty of tips and tricks on studying, who will provide you with career advice and who will be happy to help in case of any problems.
Typical courses are:
- Governance and Law
- Good Governance
- Public Entrepreneurship
- Public Strategy
Mounir AzzaouiMaster's student
"Public governance is one of the key topics covered by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. This shows that it is an essential area of study to promote policies that will improve economic and social well-being."
Max van DijkTrainee Public & Healthcare at EIFFEL
"I really enjoyed the structure of the program: introducing courses, in-depth subjects and more practical courses providing the opportunity for external research."
As a Master of Science in Public Governance, you are well equipped to analyze complex problems in the public sector from economic, judicial, political, and institutional perspectives, using both quantitative and qualitative methods. These skills make you eligible for a broad range of professions in the public sector, such as management, strategic consultancy, or policy research. Be the leader of tomorrow and become an active player in shaping the worlds’ future.
Alumni facts Tilburg Law School
- Average number of months until first paid job: 2.86
- Employer requires an academic Master’s degree: 68%
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: € 2.468,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2018 | n = 118
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree:
- in Public Governance
- in Public Administration
- in Economics
- in Sociology
- in Liberal Arts and Sciences
- an academic Bachelor’s degree in a related field with sufficient knowledge of politics, policy, governance, or economics
We also offer an English taught Pre-Master's program for (international) students from universities of applied sciences and research universities.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
The situation in Italy is very fragile in terms of both economics and politics, says Tilburg University prof. dr. Harald Benink. Can Italy implement economic reforms in order to enhance the growth potential of its economy?
Please feel free to contact us with your personal queries. You can contact us through the blue 'Contact or meet us' button on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
In a few easy steps you can create your own customized brochure with information on the program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters and student life in Tilburg.
Study choice events
To be announced
Trial lectures Master's programs Tilburg University
Are you interested in one or more Master's programs and do you want to experience what it is like to follow this program(s) at Tilburg University? Then follow a trial lecture! You can follow a regular lecture of the Master's program(s) of your choice in November and December, 2019.
10:00 - 14:45
Open day Master's programs
On Saturday 16 November, 2019. Get acquainted with our English taught Master's programs, get a taste of the atmosphere at our campus and speak with current students, lecturers and academic advisors.
Interested in the MSc Public Governance?
- Are you always looking for alternative answers and solutions to challenging problems?
- Are you on top of the latest news?
- And do you want to look across borders?
Then check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.