Quantitative Finance and Actuarial Science
Apply and develop advanced new mathematical or statistical tools to tackle a wide range of financial and actuarial challenges, ranging from price setting to risk management and policy advice.
National Student Survey 2022 | n=15
Education as of September 2022
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
Program and courses
Become a highly qualified specialist in the area of quantitative finance and insurance, a field which uses a large array of sophisticated mathematical and statistical models for various applications concerning risk management in financial institutions.
- Being fully trained in generic methods for responsible risk management in the financial and insurance sector, gives you a competitive advantage on the job market.
- Customize your program with many electives.
- Ideal stepstone to become a fully qualified actuary: after graduation you can obtain several exemptions in the part-time Executive Master in Actuarial Science offered by the Dutch Actuarial Institute.
- In the first semester of the regular program, you can also apply for the following advanced programs:
* The Extended Master's Program, which adds a half year traineeship to your regular Master's program.
* The QTEM network program, which adds an additional year to the program which you spend at a QTEM partner university and corporate partner.
Typical courses are:
- Valuation and Risk Management
- Asset Liability Management
- Empirical Finance
- Risk and Regulation
The career prospects for students of this program are excellent. Alumni of the Master's program in Quantitative Finance and Actuarial Science work, for example, as risk management consultants, actuaries, and investment analysts at banks, insurance companies, pension funds, consulting agencies, trading firms, and government bodies.
You can also become a fully qualified actuary: after graduation you are eligible to apply for the part-time Executive Master in Actuarial Science offered the Dutch Actuarial Institute.
Some examples of our graduates' jobs:
- Advisor European Actuarial Services at Ernst & Young
- Analyst at Goldman Sachs
- Actuary at ASR
- Senior Policy Advisor at the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment
- Analyst Mergers & Acquisitions at Rabobank Nederland
- The gross monthly income per month of graduates in the first year after graduation: €4,157
- 100% of our alumni consider the program a good starting point for their career, of which 89% to a (very) large extent
- 91% of our alumni is (very) satisfied with the program.
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2021 (based on an average of our three econometric Master’s programs combined: Econometrics and Mathematical Economics, Quantitative Finance and Actuarial Science, and Business Analytics and Operations Research) | n=21
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August and end of January
Best preparatory programs:
Bachelor's degree in Econometrics and Operations Research or a similar discipline from a university recognized by the Admissions Board.
International students, please check all information about the tuition fees.
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs.
09:15 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Interested in doing a Master's program? Find out which Master's program suits you best during our Master's Open day on November 19. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and study advisors your questions. Sign up for the Open day now!
Interested in the MSc Quantitative Finance and Actuarial Science?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application