Pre-Master’s program Quantitative Finance and Actuarial Science
We offer tailor-made pre-Master’s programs for students with a Bachelor's degree from a research university that covers most but not all entry requirements of the MSc Quantitative Finance and Actuarial Science. Due to the advanced content of the program, we cannot offer a pre-Master's program to students who graduated from a Dutch university of applied sciences (hbo).
For students with an international degree, or a Dutch research university (wo) degree
Tilburg University offers a pre-Master's program specifically for graduates whose university Bachelor's degree does not entirely meet the entry requirements of the Master's program in Quantitative Finance and Actuarial Science.
Courses which are potentially offered in the pre-Master’s program:
- Linear Algebra
- Introduction Analysis and Probability Theory
- Mathematical Analysis 1
- Mathematical Analysis 2
- Probability and Statistics
- Statistics for Econometrics
- Advanced Linear Algebra
- Differentiation and Integration Theory
Tailor made to individual academic needs
The pre-Master’s program is tailor-made to individual academic needs and consist of a maximum of 36 ECTS, providing you with the essential foundation needed to pursue your Master’s in Quantitative Finance and Actuarial Science.
- After completing the program successfully, you can start with the one-year Master's program in Quantitative Finance and Actuarial Science end of January, or end of August in the next academic year.
- Should you require more than 36 ECTS, we recommend you to apply for the Bachelor's program Econometrics and Operational Research before applying to the Master's program in Quantitative Finance and Actuarial Science.
- If you have any questions regarding the pre-Master’s, or admission and application, please get in touch with us.
Application and admission
As a university graduate you cannot apply for our pre-Master’s program directly; you should always apply for the Master's program. The Admissions Committee will then decide, based on your complete application, whether:
- You can be admitted to the Master's program directly.
- You need to take a 6 or 12 months pre-Master's program.
- You cannot be admitted to the (pre-)Master's program.
A solid academic background in mathematics, statistics and econometrics is required.
The following literature gives you an idea of the level of mathematics and statistics we require for entry into the program:
- L.J.Bain & M.Engelhardt, Introduction to Probability and Mathematical Statistics, Duxbury, 2nd edition
- William F. Trench, Introduction to real Analysis, (2013), Books and Monographs, book 7
- D.C. Lay, Linear Algebra and its Applications, Pearson, 4th edition
Note that these requirements are indicative, the final assessment lies with the Admissions Committee.
Do you want to know more about this pre-Master’s program?
Visit this pre-Master’s information session during the upcoming Open day
Interested in the MSc Quantitative Finance and Actuarial Science?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application