Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment
Become a research expert in the area of individual differences and assessment, such as personality, character, and temperament, as well as individual differences in within-person changes across time. Study how such differences affect people's lives in the domains of work and health. The Research Master is an excellent preparation for a PhD or a career in applied research, for example in the domains of human resources, health policy, clinical research, or management.
National Alumni Survey, 2019 | n=3
Dutch government (Peaks in Sight, p.9)
Program and courses
Acquire profound knowledge about the biological correlates and development of individual differences, and how these differences affect people's lives in the domains of work and health. Become an expert in an academic discipline with great societal relevance and impact (e.g., human resource management, health promotion, clinical research). Enrich your methodological toolbox with powerful and sophisticated statistical and programming skills.
- Individual guidance from international experts. The lectures are also in small groups with a lot of interaction with your teachers.
- Personalize your educational experience by selecting supervisors, research topics for papers and national and international traineeships based on your own interests and learning goals (an extensive list of available topics and supervisors is provided). One applied elective and two free electives ensure additional opportunities to enrich and personalize your curriculum with content from other programs.
- Make use of the opportunity to combine your studies on individual differences with electives from clinical neuropsychology, thereby qualifying for LOGO declaration that is required to enroll in the Dutch postgraduate clinical education (GZ psychology).
- Become optimally prepared for further studies and job opportunities in science after graduation, such as PhD student or applied researcher.
- The Character Studies blog of the Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment teaches you more about individual differences between people in relation to their work and health. Also visit the facebook page.
Typical courses are:
- Biological and Physiological Correlates of Individual Differences
- Psychometrics: Measurement of Individual Differences
- Dynamics of Individual Differences
- Theoretical Models of Individual Differences
Ask us your questions
Robin van der LindeMaster's student, accepted for the 2020 TOP class at GGZ WNB
"The program was challenging, but this enabled me to really excel and make the most of it. Combining extensive training in statistics with courses to establish in-depth knowledge of psychology, personality and individual differences helped me to develop many new skills which will most definitely proof beneficial in my future career as researcher and psychologist."
Evy KuijpersMaster's student
"Professors truly value the input of students and acknowledge you as independent researcher. There are numerous professors involved from different departments, so you can definitely state this as a unique interdisciplinary program. This program gave me insight in all the different perspectives on Individual Differences and it brought me to a higher level of understanding individual differences."
Lisanne de MoorMaster's student
"To me, Individual Differences and Assessment has really been about broadening and deepening my knowledge of psychology and how to apply that knowledge into my own research. I really liked that the program offered multiple opportunities to explore our own interests within the broad field of psychology, as well as offered several opportunities to gain hands-on experience."
The Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment is an excellent preparation for a PhD or a career in applied research. Your career prospects are excellent.
- The "Education and Labor Market" Research Center follows Dutch students after they finish their education and has found that 94% of former Research Master students find a job within 1.5 years (source: www.kiesjestudie.nl).
- A recent report from the Dutch government found that more than half of Research Master graduates secure a job as a PhD student (source: Peaks in Sight, p. 9).
- The master is also an excellent preparation for a research position in applied fields, for example, as a policy researcher, advisor or human resources and management consultant, or clinical psychologist.
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
The Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment does not offer its own pre-Master’s program. However, you might become eligible for admission to the Research Master when you successfully complete the pre-Master’s program in Human Resource Studies of the Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences. Please note that all other admission requirements and application procedure still apply.
Tuition fees and scholarships
* The EU rate only applies if you enroll for the program without a Master's degree from a Dutch university.
** Excellent non-EU/EEA students will be granted a tuition fee waiver up to the EU/EEA fee.
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us with your personal queries. You can contact us through the blue 'Contact or meet us' button on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Study choice events
Interested in the Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application