Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment
Become a research expert in the area of individual differences, such as personality, character and temperament, and intrapersonal changes across time. Study how these differences affect people's lives in the areas of work and health. This Research master is an excellent preparation for a PhD or a career in applied research, for example in the domains of human resources, health policy, clinical research or management.
On-campus education as of August 2021 | pleased to meet you
Best Studies Ranking Elsevier (2021), National Student Survey (2021)
QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2021
Program and courses
During this two-year Research Master, you become an expert in the area of individual differences and assessment. Acquire profound knowledge about the biological correlates and development of individual differences, and how these differences affect people's lives in the domains of work and health. The program offers four lines of learning: content, statistics, scientific writing and projects.
- Personalize your educational experience by selecting your supervisors, research topics, electives and (inter)national traineeships yourself. Experience hands-on research into assessing individual differences in various contexts, and life as a researcher during traineeships. Acquire a thorough methodological and statistical education and write two scientific papers as part of the curriculum.
- You become part of an ambitious and international group of students, and experience the real ‘cohort’ feeling.
- Get a glimpse of the atmosphere of the program in the Character Studies blog. Get to know the professors, (alumni) students, read about topics related to individual differences, and learn with us through some interesting assignments. Also check out the Facebook page
- With a specific combination of major and minor courses, you have the opportunity to combine your studies on individual differences with electives from clinical neuropsychology. Under specific conditions, you can qualify for the LOGO declaration, which is required to enroll in the Dutch postgraduate clinical education (GZ Psycholoog). For more information, please contact the Education Coordinator via ReMA_IDA@tilburguniversity.edu.
- Non-EU/EEA students can make use of the tuition fee waiver, which reduces the institutional fee to the statutory fee.
Typical courses are:
- Biological and Physiological Correlates of Individual Differences
- Psychometrics: Measurement of Individual Differences
- Dynamics of Individual Differences
- Theoretical Models of Individual Differences
Flavia CherecheşResearch Master’s student
"We work closely with professors from different departments during traineeships and projects. They value my input and are open to questions. I can choose a direction that perfectly matches my interests, and the small class size facilitates in-depth discussion and a friendly and informal atmosphere. It's truly inspiring to learn in such an environment!"
Arian SarwaryResearch Master’s student
"This program offers a focus on research and methodology. Thanks to the programming course, I have a good grasp of the R computer language, which has come in handy in courses and traineeships. The small group size and relationships with teachers allow me to collaborate on projects and traineeships with them. Due to the flexibility of the program and the support, I could create the exact curriculum I wanted."
Evy KuijpersResearch Master’s student
"Professors truly value the input of students and acknowledge you as researcher. Many professors from different departments are involved, making this a unique interdisciplinary program. It gave me insight in all the different perspectives on Individual Differences and it helped me to understand individual differences on a higher level."
Your career prospects are excellent. You become an expert in an area of great societal relevance and impact, like human resource management, health promotion, and clinical research. The research Master is also an excellent preparation for a PhD and a position in applied research, such as policy researcher, advisor or human resources and management consultant, or clinical psychologist.
Of our alumni,
- 92% have a job at an academic level
- 50% work as a PhD at a Research University in the Netherlands or abroad
- 13% work as a junior researcher at a Research University in the Netherlands
- 8% have a position at a Mental Health Institution
- 8% work in a management position at a commercial company
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
The Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment does not offer its own pre-Master’s program. However, you might become eligible for admission to the Research Master when you successfully complete the pre-Master’s program in Human Resource Studies of the Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences. Please note that all other admission requirements and application procedure still apply.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us with your personal queries. You can contact us through the blue 'Contact or meet us' button on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Study choice events
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
09:00 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and pre-Masters and ask our teachers, students and study advisors your questions.
Interested in the Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application