Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment
Become a research expert in the area of individual differences, such as personality, character and temperament, and intrapersonal changes across time. Study how these differences affect people's lives in the areas of work and health. This Research master is an excellent preparation for a PhD or a career in applied research, for example in the domains of human resources, health policy, clinical research or management.
On-campus education as of August 2021 | pleased to meet you
Shanghai Global Ranking of Academic Subjects, 2020
National Student Survey, 2021 | n=20
Program and courses
During this two-year Research Master, you become an expert in the area of individual differences and assessment. Acquire profound knowledge about the biological correlates and development of individual differences, and how these differences affect people's lives in the domains of work and health.
- The program offers four lines of learning: content, statistics, scientific writing and projects.
- This Research Master is unique in the Netherlands, and distinctive worldwide.
- Personalize your educational experience by personally selecting your supervisors, research topics, electives and (inter)national traineeships.
- Experience hands-on research in assessing individual differences in various contexts, experience life as a researcher during traineeships, acquire a thorough methodological and statistical education and write two scientific papers as part of the curriculum.
- You become part of an ambitious and international group of students, and experience the real ‘cohort’ feeling.
- Get a glimpse of the atmosphere of the program in the Character Studies blog. Get to know the professors, (alumni) students, read about topics related to individual differences, and learn with us through some interesting assignments. Also check out the Facebook page
- With a specific combination of major and minor courses, you have the opportunity to combine your studies on individual differences with electives from clinical neuropsychology. Under specific conditions, you can thereby qualify for the LOGO declaration, which is required to enroll in the Dutch postgraduate clinical education (GZ Psycholoog). For more information, please contact the Education Coordinator via ReMA_IDA@tilburguniversity.edu.
- Non-EU/EEA students can make use of the tuition fee waiver, which reduces the institutional fee to the statutory fee.
Typical courses are:
- Biological and Physiological Correlates of Individual Differences
- Psychometrics: Measurement of Individual Differences
- Dynamics of Individual Differences
- Theoretical Models of Individual Differences
Robin van der LindeMaster's student, accepted for the 2020 TOP class at GGZ WNB
"The program was challenging, but this enabled me to really excel and make the most of it. Combining extensive training in statistics with courses to establish in-depth knowledge of psychology, personality and individual differences helped me to develop many new skills which will most definitely proof beneficial in my future career as researcher and psychologist."
Evy KuijpersMaster's student
"Professors truly value the input of students and acknowledge you as independent researcher. There are numerous professors involved from different departments, so you can definitely state this as a unique interdisciplinary program. This program gave me insight in all the different perspectives on Individual Differences and it brought me to a higher level of understanding individual differences."
Lisanne de MoorMaster's student
"To me, Individual Differences and Assessment has really been about broadening and deepening my knowledge of psychology and how to apply that knowledge into my own research. I really liked that the program offered multiple opportunities to explore our own interests within the broad field of psychology, as well as offered several opportunities to gain hands-on experience."
The Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment is an excellent preparation for a PhD or a career in applied research. Your career prospects are excellent. You become an expert in an area of great societal relevance and impact, like human resource management, health promotion, and clinical research. The research Master is also an excellent preparation for a PhD or a career in applied research, such as in human resources, developmental psychology, health policy, clinical research or management.
- 94% of former Research Master students find a job within 1.5 years (source: www.kiesjestudie.nl).
- More than half of Research Master graduates secure a job as a PhD student (source: Peaks in Sight, p. 9).
- The master is also an excellent preparation for a research position in applied fields, for example, as a policy researcher, advisor or human resources and management consultant, or clinical psychologist.
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
The Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment does not offer its own pre-Master’s program. However, you might become eligible for admission to the Research Master when you successfully complete the pre-Master’s program in Human Resource Studies of the Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences. Please note that all other admission requirements and application procedure still apply.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us with your personal queries. You can contact us through the blue 'Contact or meet us' button on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Study choice events
13:30 - 15:45
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home. You can participate on Wednesday, October 13, 2021.
09:00 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and Pre-Masters and ask your questions to our teachers, students and study advisors.
Interested in the Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application