Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences
During the Research Master in Social and Behavioral sciences, you become a research expert on individual behavior in different social contexts, like peers, organizations, and societies. You will study the central theme 'individual in social context' through four different disciplinary lenses, with one chosen as your track specialization: Social Psychology, Organization Studies, Sociology, and Methods and Statistics. This program is an excellent preparation for a PhD program.
Education and COVID-19
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
Program and courses
Acquire extensive knowledge and research skills in the social and behavioral sciences, with many perspectives on the central theme: individual in social contexts.
- This Research Master is unique in the Netherlands.
- A thorough methodological and statistical education from renowned national and international academics, preparing you for job opportunities in science, such as PhD positions or applied research. But also for analytical and research-intensive jobs outside academia, like consulting, or marketing.
- Benefit from small scale and interactive education with individual guidance. You will be part of an ambitious and international group of students with no more than 30 students in a class, from different academic and cultural backgrounds. Personalize your educational experience by choosing one of the four tracks, selecting your own supervisors, research topics and internal and international traineeships based on your personal interests and learning goals.
- Apply your knowledge and research skills by participating in four in-house research traineeships and 1 international research traineeship and write two scientific papers as part of the curriculum.
Specialize in your research area of interest with a track in:
Typical courses are:
- Multivariate Analysis
- Structural Equation Modelling and the Analysis of Longitudinal Data
- Foundations of Social Psychology / Sociology / Organization Studies / Methodology and Statistics
- Research Integrity and Ethics
Jenna BarretMaster's student
"Overall, I think the program is challenging, but this also enables you to learn and develop many new skills, that will be beneficial for your future (career in) research."
Magdalena KotekPhD Student
"The program provides a profound statistical basis upon which we can build and individualize our curriculum with the track courses, traineeships, First Year Paper and Master Thesis."
Tea KipshidzeResearch Master’s student
"My dream is to mount a Research Master’s program in my country, Georgia, as soon as I have finished my thesis (on methodology) and successfully complete my studies."
The Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences is an excellent preparation for a career both inside and outside academia. Graduates have secured high-level (research) positions at universities, governments, research institutes, and consulting organizations. You become an all-round researcher who can think outside the box.
As a graduate of the Research Master's program in Social and Behavioral Sciences, you have the knowledge and skills to successfully complete a PhD program at Tilburg University or another university.
Examples of our graduates' jobs:
- PhD student (Universität Tübingen, KU Leuven, Stanford University, Tilburg University)
- Data scientist at CentERdata
- HR data analyst
- Average number of months until first paid job: 3.5
- 75% of the graduates is satisfied with the Master’s program in general
- Graduates are most satisfied with the acquired academic skills within the Master's program
75% would choose this Master’s degree program again
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2021 | n=4
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
Academic Bachelor or Master in Psychology, Sociology, Organization Studies or Human Resource Studies.
The Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences does not offer its own pre-Master’s program. However, you can be eligible for admission to the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences when you successfully complete one of the following pre-Master’s programs of the Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences: pre-Master in Sociology, Organization and Management Studies or Human Resource Studies.
Please note that the other admission requirements and application procedure still apply.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
12:30 - 16:30
Master Experience Days TSB
The Master Experience Days (MED) is a study- and career-orientation event for for all students looking for a Master's program of the Tilburg School for Social and Behavioral Sciences (TSB).
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
09:15 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Interested in doing a Master's program? Find out which Master's program suits you best during our Master's Open day on March 18. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and study advisors your questions.
Interested in the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences?
Do you have:
the ambitions for an intellectual challenge
strong critical and analytical abilities
an interest in and experience with doing research
Then check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.
Related Master's programs
- Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment
- Sociology: Politics, Policy and Society in Comparative Perspective
- Work and Organizational Psychology
- Economic Psychology
- Organization and Management Studies
- Human Resource Studies