Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences
Become a research expert in the social and behavioral sciences. Delve into the individual's behavior in different social contexts (e.g., peers, family, groups, social networks) and specialize even further with a minor in Social Psychology, Organization Studies, Sociology, or Methodology and Statistics. This program is an excellent preparation for a PhD.
National Student Survey, 2017 | n=19
National Alumni Survey, 2016 | n=6
for the fourth year in a row, Keuzegids Masters, 2015 - 2018
Program and courses
Acquire extensive knowledge and research skills in the social and behavioral sciences, with many perspectives on the central theme: individual in social context.
- Specialize in your research area of interest with a minor in either Social Psychology, Organization Studies, Sociology, or Methodology and Statistics.
- Taught and supervised by renowned scholars and researchers, you become involved in their hands on research, participating in innovative projects and internships.
- The best guidance a talented young researcher in social sciences can get. A maximum of 30 students with diverse academic and cultural backgrounds ensuring both diversity and excellent guidance.
Typical courses are:
- Interpersonal Behavior
- Organizations and Groups
- Survey Research and Psychometrics
- Multivariate Analysis including Multilevel Models
Sara ArtsMaster's student
"I was looking for a multidisciplinary master that combined interesting topics with an in-depth training in conducting research. Sharing classes with students from many different fields and with different interests makes discussions very interesting."
Yuan ShuaiMaster's student
"I am super interested in understanding the complex human nature (psychology) as well as the quantitative methods for psychology research. This is the only research master program to meet both of my interests."
Anya TonneMaster's student
"Extensive training in statics is complemented by a diverse theoretical curriculum, which gives a great methodological knowledge on how to conduct research independently. Furthermore, small class-sizes allows to discuss concepts in-depth and in a friendly atmosphere."
The Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences is an excellent preparation for a career in academia. Graduates secured high-level research positions at universities, governments, research institutes, and consulting organizations.
Graduates started or work for example as:
- Researcher & lecturer at the University of Southampton
- Statistical consultant Educational Testing Service at Princeton NJ
- PhD Student at Universität Tübingen
- The "Education and Labor Market" Research Center follows up Dutch students after they finish their education, and found that 94% of former students of researcher masters find a job within 1.5 years (source: http://www.kiesjestudie.nl).
- A recent report from the Dutch government found that more than 50% of the alumni of research masters secures a job as a PhD student (Source: Peaks in Sight, p. 9).
- Average number of months until first paid job: 2.3
- Finds a job within 6 months after graduation: 98%
- Would recommend this Master’s program to friends, family, or colleagues: 80%
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2016
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
Academic Bachelor or Master in Psychology, Sociology, Organization Studies, Human Resource Studies or Leisure Studies.
Tuition fees academic year 2018-2019
|€ 2,060*||€ 14,500 | € 2,060 including waiver**|
* The EU rate only applies if you enroll for the program without a Master's degree from a Dutch university. More information about the tuition fees and scholarships available for international students.
** Excellent non-EU/EEA students will be granted a tuition fee waiver up to the EU/EEA fee.
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Study choice events
10:00 - 14:45
Open day Master's programs
The Open day on Saturday 17 November 2018 offers you the opportunity to get acquainted with our English taught (Pre-)Master's programs and Research Masters, get a taste of the atmosphere at our campus and speak with current students, lecturers and academic advisors.
Interested in the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application