Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences
Become a research expert on individual behavior in different social contexts (e.g., peers, organizations, and societies). You will study the central theme 'individual in social context' through four different disciplinary lenses, with one chosen as your track specialization: Social Psychology, Organization Studies, Sociology, and Methods and Statistics. This program is an excellent preparation for a PhD program.
On-campus education as of August 2021 | pleased to meet you
QS Ranking, 2021
Sociology, Organization Studies, Social Psychology and Methods & Statistics
together in a cohort
Program and courses
Acquire extensive knowledge and research skills in the social and behavioral sciences, with many perspectives on the central theme: individual in social contexts.
- This Research Master is unique in the Netherlands
- Personalize your educational experience by choosing one of the four tracks, selecting your own supervisors, research topics and internal and international traineeships based on your personal interests and learning goals.
- A thorough methodological and statistical education from renowned national and international academics, preparing you for job opportunities in science, such as PhD posisitions or applied research.
- Small scale and interactive education with individual guidance. There are more full-time professors than students. And no more than 30 students in a class, from different academic and cultural backgrounds.
- Write two scientific papers as part of the curriculum.
- Become part of an ambitious and international group of students and experience the real 'cohort' feeling.
- Apply your knowledge and research skills by participating in four in-house research traineeships and 1 international research traineeship.
Specialize in your research area of interest with a track in:
Typical courses are:
- Multivariate Analysis including Multilevel Models
- Structural Equation Modelling and the Analysis of Longitudinal Data
- Experimental Research and Meta-Analysis
- Survey Research and Psychometrics
Jenna BarretMaster's student
"Overall, I think the program is challenging, but this also enables you to learn and develop many new skills, that will be beneficial for your future (career in) research."
Anya TonneMaster's student
"Extensive training in statistics is complemented by a diverse theoretical curriculum, which gives a great methodological knowledge on how to conduct research independently. Also, small class-sizes allow us to discuss concepts in-depth and in a friendly atmosphere."
Tea KipshidzeResearch Master’s student
"My dream is to mount a Research Master’s program in my country, Georgia, as soon as I have finished my thesis (on methodology) and successfully complete my studies."
The Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences is an excellent preparation for a career both inside and outside academia. Graduates have secured high-level (research) positions at universities, governments, research institutes, and consulting organizations.
Examples of our graduates' jobs:
- PhD student (Universität Tübingen, KU Leuven, Stanford University, Tilburg University)
- Data scientist at CentERdata
- HR data analyst
- Average number of months until first paid job: 1
- 100% find a job within 3 months after graduation
- 100% would (definitely) recommend this Master’s program to friends, family, or colleagues
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2020| n=4
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
Academic Bachelor or Master in Psychology, Sociology, Organization Studies or Human Resource Studies.
The Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences does not offer its own Pre-Master’s program. However, you can become eligible for admission to the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences when you successfully complete one of the following Pre-Master’s programs of the Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences: Pre-Master in Sociology, Organization Studies or Human Resource Studies.
Please note that the other admission requirements and application procedure still apply.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Unfortunately, we cannot organize any on-campus events at the moment. To help you as much as possible with your study choice, we offer online alternatives.
13:30 - 15:45
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home. You can participate on Wednesday, October 13, 2021.
09:00 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and Pre-Masters and ask your questions to our teachers, students and study advisors.
Interested in the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences?
Do you have:
the ambitions for an intellectual challenge
strong critical and analytical abilities
an interest in and experience with doing research
Then check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.