Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences
Become a research expert in the social and behavioral sciences. Delve into the individual's behavior in different social contexts (e.g., peers, family, groups, social networks) and specialize with a minor in Social Psychology, Organization Studies, Sociology, or Methodology and Statistics. This program is an excellent preparation for a PhD.
National Student Survey, 2018 | n=20
Times Higher Education Subject Ranking, 2019
for the fourth year in a row, Keuzegids Masters, 2015 - 2018
Program and courses
Acquire extensive knowledge and research skills in the social and behavioral sciences, with many perspectives on the central theme: individual in social context.
- Specialize in your research area of interest with a minor in Social Psychology, Organization Studies, Sociology, or Methodology and Statistics.
- Taught and supervised by renowned scholars and researchers, you become involved in their hands on research, participating in innovative projects and internships.
- The best guidance a talented young researcher in social sciences can get. A maximum of 30 students with diverse academic and cultural backgrounds ensuring both diversity and excellent guidance.
Typical courses are:
- Interpersonal Behavior
- Organizations and Groups
- Survey Research and Psychometrics
- Multivariate Analysis including Multilevel Models
Jenna BarretMaster's student
"Overall, I think the program is challenging, but this also enables you to learn and develop many new skills, that will be beneficial for your future (career in) research."
Anya TonneMaster's student
"Extensive training in statistics is complemented by a diverse theoretical curriculum, which gives a great methodological knowledge on how to conduct research independently. Also, small class-sizes allow us to discuss concepts in-depth and in a friendly atmosphere."
Tea KipshidzeResearch Master’s student
"My dream is to mount a Research Master’s program in my country, Georgia, as soon as I have finished my thesis (on methodology) and successfully complete my studies."
The Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences is an excellent preparation for a career in academia. Graduates have secured high-level research positions at universities, governments, research institutes, and consulting organizations.
Some examples of our graduates' jobs:
- Researcher & lecturer at the University of Southampton
- Statistical consultant Educational Testing Service at Princeton NJ
- PhD Student at Universität Tübingen
- The "Education and Labor Market" Research Center follows up Dutch students after they finish their education, and found that 94% of former students of researcher masters find a job within 1.5 years (source: http://www.kiesjestudie.nl).
- A recent report from the Dutch government found that more than 50% of the alumni of research masters secures a job as a PhD student (Source: Peaks in Sight, p. 9).
- Average number of months until first paid job: 2.3
- Finds a job within 6 months after graduation: 98%
- Would recommend this Master’s program to friends, family, or colleagues: 80%
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2016
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
Academic Bachelor or Master in Psychology, Sociology, Organization Studies, Human Resource Studies or Leisure Studies.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us with your personal queries. You can contact us through the blue 'Contact or meet us' button on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Study choice events
Interested in the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application