Social Psychology track (Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences)
Become a research expert on the relevance of social groups and interactions, behavioral decision making in complex and uncertain situations, the factors (social, cultural, affective) influencing how we process information, and the importance of emotions and motivation for our interactions with others. This program is a track of the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences.
On Campus if we can | Online because we can
Times Higher Education World University Ranking, 2021
to apply your knowledge
to improve your research skills
Program and courses
Become a research expert in the field of social psychology while studying individual behaviors in different social contexts from three social sciences perspectives: social psychology, sociology, and organization studies.
- Acquire extensive knowledge on behavioral decision-making, social cognition, emotion and motivation, and methods and statistics. You will apply the theories to everyday behaviors in professional and private settings.
- Gain a competitive advantage in any career that requires sharp analytical and problem-solving skills, project management, and hands-on experience with the full empirical research cycle (from design to analysis).
- Participate in 4 in-house research traineeships and 1 international research traineeship and work together with renowned national and international academics.
- You will receive excellent personal guidance. There are more full-time professors than students. And no more than 30 students in a class, from different academic and cultural backgrounds.
Typical courses are:
- Social Cognition
- Behavioral Decision-making
- Experimental Research and Meta-Analysis
- Emotion and Motivation
Eugenia Bajet MestreResearch Master's student
"The program incorporates many different things: foundational, theoretical and methodological courses, internships with the members of the department, attending seminars, as well as writing two thesis! Overall, I feel I'm acquiring a great set of skills to become an impactful researcher."
Carmem Meira CunhaPhD candidate University of Antwerp
"I was free to focus on and explore my own interests, which made my path unique. The professors were also always there to support, encourage and challenge me. I would say one of the most important skills that I developed was to think critically about research – something I use every day on my current job."
Teun SiebersPhD candidate University of Amsterdam
"This program has shown me the importance and the beauty of conducting scientific research. With small classes, high cultural diversity, and a strong focus on both theory and methodology, it has been the perfect environment to develop the professional skills needed for my future academic career."
Upon graduating, you will have obtained the following title (as stated on your diploma): Master of Science. The track Social Psychology gives you a competitive advantage in any career that requires sharp analytical and problem-solving skills, project management, hands-on experience with the full empirical research cycle (from design to analysis), often resulting in publications. Our graduates develop strong careers inside and outside academia.
Recent alumni placements include:
- PhD student (Stanford University, Tilburg University)
- Behavioral Change Expert (Dijksterhuis & Van Baaren)
- Data Analyst and Research Expert (ING Bank)
- Average number of months until first paid job: 1.5
- Finds a job within 3 months after graduation: 100%
- Would recommend this Master’s program to friends, family, or colleagues: 100%
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2019 | n=2
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
Academic Bachelor's or Master's program in Psychology, Sociology, Organization Studies, or Human Resource Studies.
The Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences does not offer a pre-Master’s program. However, in case you successfully complete one of the pre-Master’s programs of the Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences (e.g., the pre-Master's program in Sociology, Organization Studies, or Human Resource Studies) you become eligible for admission to the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences. Please note that the other admission requirements and application procedure still apply.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Unfortunately, we cannot organize any on-campus events at the moment. To help you as much as possible with your study choice, we offer online alternatives.
To be announced
Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and pre-Masters and ask your questions to our teachers, students and study advisors.
Interested in the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences?
Do you have:
the ambitions for an intellectual challenge
strong critical and analytical abilities
an interest in and experience with doing research
Then check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.