Sociology and Population Studies (Double degree)
Study modern societies in Tilburg and Barcelona. Learn how to identify the main forces and challenges faced by key social institutions in modern society, such as families, schools, communities, and jobs. Universitat Pompeu Fabra and Tilburg University, two of the highest-ranked Social Science Departments in Europe, have combined their strengths to offer excellent Double-degree research training.
Education and COVID-19
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
National Alumni Survey, 2021 | n = 10
National Student Survey, 2021 | n = 11
Program and courses
Get two full Master’s degrees in Sociology in 1,5 years from two outstanding academic institutions by combining two related subject areas with different approaches. Graduate both as Master of Research in Sociology and Demography at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) and Master of Science in Sociology at Tilburg University. An ultimate international experience by studying both in Barcelona and the Netherlands.
- Tailor your program to your interests and create an individual, unique profile by choosing elective courses in the first year.
- You will get small-scale, interactive education with excellent individual thesis supervision and enthousiastic teachers.
- Enhance your skills and gain relevant work experience by doing an Extended Master's program and doing a traineeship.
- At Tilburg University, you can choose one of two tracks:
- The track Sociology: Politics, Policy and Society in Comparative Perspective, focuses on translating societal problems into sociological research from both micro (family, social networks, crime) and macro perspectives (welfare, state, solidarity) in order to evaluate current policy and derive new ones.
- The Health, Wellbeing and Society track combines scientific insights from sociology and health sciences. With a strong collaboration with healthcare organizations, you will learn to become a specialist in the field of healthcare policy, societal resilience, and health and wellbeing.
Typical courses are
- Demographic Changes and Social Dynamics
- Family, Gender and Society
- Social Policy and Social Risks
- Politics and Society in Comparative Perspective
Milou van den BemdExtended Master's student
"Studying abroad really enriched me and and led me to attain two Master degrees in one-and-a-half year. I felt I could do more and started the extended master with an internship at Research Institute Telos."
Sociology and Population Studies is a broad, internationally oriented program that can lead to employment in a wide range of fields and jobs in Europe and beyond. Work in fields such as labor and employment, culture, welfare, recreation, education, or health care. You could work for a wide range of employers, ranging from government institutions to private companies and research agencies.
Some examples of our graduates' jobs:
- Policy Officer
- Junior Researcher
- 70% of our alumni find a job within 6 months after graduation
- 82% would choose the same program again, at the same university
- 72% of the graduates is (very) satisfied with the program
Source: National Alumni Survey, recent graduates 2021 | n=11
Admission and application
This program starts:
In September in Barcelona, Spain. Please note: the pre-Master’s program starts at the end of August and at the end of January, in Tilburg.
Best preparatory programs:
Sociology, Psychology, Social Geography, Anthropology, Culture Studies, Human Resource Studies, Organization Studies, and Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Half-year (30 ECTS) pre-Master’s program available if your previous program is relevant but does not meet the required entry level. For example, a Bachelor's degree from a University of Applied Sciences.
Tuition fees and scholarships
International students find all information about tuition fees and scholarships here.
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
Interested in the Double degree in Sociology and Population Studies?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application
Related Master’s programs
- Sociology and Social Research (Double degree)
- Sociology: Bamberg - Tilburg (Double degree)
- Sociology: Politics, Policy and Society in Comparative Perspective
- Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment
- Organization and Management Studies
- Digital Culture Studies
- Jeugdliteratuur (in Dutch)
- Management of Cultural Diversity