Double degree in Sociology and Population Studies
Two of the highest-ranked Social Science Departments in Europe combine their strengths to offer double-degree research training in Sociology and Population Studies. Study modern societies in both Tilburg and Barcelona to identify the main forces and challenges faced by key social institutions, such as families, schools, communities, and jobs.
National Alumni Survey, 2016 | n = 8
National Alumni Survey, 2016 | n = 8
Program and courses
Get two full Master’s degrees by combining two related subject areas with different approaches. Graduate both as Master of Research in Sociology and Demography at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) and Master of Science in Sociology at Tilburg University. An ultimate international experience by studying in Barcelona half of the time.
Extend your master with a traineeship
Expand your knowledge and practical skills even further with a traineeship. The Extended Master provides you with a one-year traineeship position and adds one semester to the total program. Enhance your skills and gain relevant work experience.
Typical courses are
- Demographic Changes and Social Dynamics
- Social Capital: Networks Resources and Attitudes
- Social Policy and Social Risks
Sociology and Population Studies is a broad, internationally oriented program that can lead to employment in a wide range of fields and jobs in Europe and beyond. Work in fields such as labor and employment, culture, welfare, recreation, education, or health care. Wide range of employers, ranging from government institutions to private companies and research agencies.
- Interested in business, marketing, or journalism? The Guardian states that Sociology gives you a head-start, listing a range of specific abilities and skills associated with a degree in sociology, including the “ability to judge and evaluate evidence; understanding the complexity and diversity of situations(…); collecting information; making reasoned and logical arguments.”
Graduates started, for example, at:
- European Commission
- Netherlands Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment
- Average number of months until first paid job is 3
- 100% of our alumni does find a job within 4 months after graduation
- Gross monthly income: €2,168
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2016 | n = 8
Admission and application
This program starts:
In September (in Barcelona, Spain). Please note: the Pre-Master’s program starts end of August, in Tilburg.
Best preparatory programs:
Sociology, Psychology, Social Geography, Anthropology, Culture Studies, Human Resource Studies, Organization Studies, and Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Half-year (30 ECTS) Pre-Master’s program available if your previous program is relevant but does not meet the required entry level, for example a Bachelor's degree from a University of Applied Sciences.
Tuition fees academic year 2018-2019
|€ 2,060*||€ 14,500|
* The EU rate only applies if you enroll for the program without a Master's degree from a Dutch university. More information about the tuition fees and scholarships available for international students.
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Study choice events
To be announced
Trial lectures Master's programs Tilburg University
Are you interested in one of our Master's programs and do you want to experience what it's like to follow this program at Tilburg University? Then follow a trial lecture of the Master's program of your choice! You can follow a trial lecture from November 1st until December 31st 2018.
Interested in the Double degree in Sociology and Population Studies?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application