Program and courses Double Degree in Sociology and Population Studies
Study modern societies in both Tilburg and Barcelona and learn how to identify the main forces and challenges faced by key social institutions, such as families, schools, neighborhoods, and jobs.
This 1.5-year program consists of 90 credits (ECTS):
Courses of the Master of Research in Sociology and Demography at Universitat Pompeu Fabra (40 ECTS):
- Module 1: Socio-demographic Analysis (20 ECTS)
- Research and Analytical Techniques (10 ECTS)
- Optional courses (10 ECTS)
Courses of the Master in Sociology at Tilburg University (50 ECTS):
- Content courses (26 ECTS)
- Master’s Thesis (24 ECTS)
The first two semesters (October - March), you’ll spend at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona, Spain. The next 1,5 semesters (March - January), you’ll spend at Tilburg University. At Tilburg University you can choose the general Sociology track (Politics, Policy and Society in a Comparative Perspective) or the Health, Wellbeing and Society track. By choosing elective courses, you can tailor your study program to your interestes and create an individual, unique profile.
- The general Sociology: Politics, Policy and Society in a Comparative Perspective track focuses on translating societal problems into sociological research from both micro (family, social networks, crime) and macro perspectives (welfare, state, solidarity) in order to evaluate current policy and derive new ones.
- The Health, Wellbeing and Society track combines scientific insights from sociology and health sciences. With a strong collaboration with healthcare organizations, you will learn to become a specialist in the field of healthcare policy, societal resilience, and health and wellbeing.
Program entry is at the end of August.
Courses at Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Courses at Tilburg University - Sociology: Politics, Policy and Society in a Comparative Perspective track
Courses at Tilburg University - Health, Wellbeing and Society track
Please Note: programs are subject to change. We advise you to look up the current program in OSIRIS Student at the start of the year.
Extend your Master with a junior traineeship
You have the opportunity to extend your Master's program by half a year, in which you do a junior traineeship (30 ECTS), in Dutch or English. During the traineeship you will dedicate half your time to research activities in the internship organization, and half your time researching and writing your Master's thesis. After completing the traineeship, you will receive a professional certificate in addition to your MSc.
Generally, if you want to do an Extended Master, you can do it if you are hired by the partner organization. You can either do your Extended Master at one of the Academic Collaborative Centers at Tranzo, or at one of the partner organizations of the Extended Master.
Admission and application Extended Master
Partner organizations for Sociology: Politics, Policy and Society in a Comparative Perspective
Partner organizations for Health, Wellbeing and Society
Short overview of the Double Degree in Sociology and Population Studies
- Get two full Master’s degrees by combining two related subject areas with different approaches. Graduate both as Master of Research in Sociology and Demography at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) and Master of Science in Sociology at Tilburg University.
- An ultimate international experience by studying in Barcelona for half a year.
- You only need to write one Master’s thesis.
- In the first year of the program, you can choose elective courses, which allows you to tailor your study program to your interests and create an individual, unique profile.
- Interactive and small-scale education and excellent individual thesis supervision with an enthusiastic and accessible teaching staff.
- You have the opportunity to enhance your skills and gain relevant work experience by doing an Extended Master. During this additional semester you do a half-year traineeship.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Interested in the Double degree in Sociology and Population Studies?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application