Application and admission Double degree in Sociology: Bamberg - Tilburg
This is the application and admission procedure for all applicants of the Double degree program in Sociology: Bamberg - Tilburg.
Students must apply at the University of Bamberg.
Admission to the Double Degree program also implies admission to the Master's Program in "Sociology” at Tilburg University for the following year.
a) Check your eligibility
1. Educational background/diplomas
For the Double Degree Program in Sociology, applicants have to:
Meet the admission criteria of the "M.A. Soziologie" at the University of Bamberg, i.e.
- Hold a higher education degree with a minimum of 30 ECTS accumulated in Sociology, of which at least 10 credits are connected to sociological fundamentals and 10 credits are connected to methods of quantitative empirical social research or statistics.
- With a grade point average of at least 2.5 on the German grading scale or equivalent.
- Document A1-level German language skills (which can be obtained during the first year).
Meet the admission criteria of the Master's Program in "Sociology" at Tilburg University, i.e.:
- Hold a Bachelor’s or a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline, e.g. the field of sociology, social sciences, or humanities.
- Be sufficiently conversant in the social sciences e.g. knowledge of and practice in the application of (key) questions of sociology and of classical and modern sociological theories; basic knowledge of other social sciences e.g. psychology and economics.
- Possess adequate knowledge of social science statistics and research methods.
2. English language requirements
You must prove your proficiency in English by submitting the results of one of these tests:
- Academic IELTS with a minimum overall score of 6.5 and a minimum score of 6.0 for each section.
- TOEFL iBT with a minimum score of 90 for the traditional TOEFL iBT test at a test center or the TOEFL iBT Paper Edition. Please check in our corona FAQ whether the TOEFL iBT Home Edition will be accepted for the intake of your choice.
- Cambridge English test results: C1 advanced (formerly CAE) or C2 proficiency (formerly CPE). For both C1 and C2, we accept a score of A, B, or C.
- The test results must not be older than two years at the time of application.
- You must be able to prove your English language proficiency at the time of application. Without test results your application can not be processed, unless you are exempted.
An English proficiency test is not required if one of the following applies to your situation:
- You hold a passport from one of the following countries:
Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States of America.
- You have studied your entire Bachelor's or Master's program in one of the following countries:
Australia, Canada (with the exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States of America.
- You have studied and completed your entire Bachelor's or Master's program in English. An official confirmation letter from your university is required.
For all other countries and situations, the English language test is compulsory. No exemptions from this requirement will be made other than those mentioned above.
b) Consider the deadline
When you apply for this program, please make sure that your application package, including all necessary documents, reaches us before the deadline.
Start date program: at the end of August
Deadline for application: July 15
c) Follow the procedure for all applicants
You’ll have to apply for the Double Degree Program via the online application procedure for the regular "M.A. Soziologie" at the University of Bamberg.
Applicants have to hand in the following documents:
- a certified copy of the upper secondary school certificate or higher education entrance qualification (in German or English);
- a certified copy of the Bachelor’s certificate (English translation), including a transcript of records;
- a certified copy of a certificate documenting English language proficiency as stated above;
- a curriculum vitae (in English);
- a 1-2-pages motivation letter (written in English) describing why one would like to take part in the Double Degree Program;
- a copy of your valid passport or identity card.
Apply via the online application procedure of University of Bamberg
You’ll have to apply for the Double Degree Program via the online application procedure for the regular "M.A. Soziologie" at the University of Bamberg. Admission to the Double Degree program also implies admission to the Master's Program in "Sociology” at Tilburg University for the following year.
Please visit the admission and application webpage of Bamberg University for more information. A link to the application form is available on this page.
Do you have any questions?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the Master's website.