Pre-Master’s program Sociology
The pre-Master’s programs in Sociology are designed for (1) Dutch students with a relevant Dutch hbo degree, and (2) Dutch and international students with a university degree that does not entirely meet the admission requirements of the Master's program.
For Dutch hbo graduates
The pre-Master's program for Dutch hbo graduates builds on the practice-oriented knowledge you acquired during your Bachelor's by enhancing your theoretical knowledge as well as your capacity for conceptual thinking.
This half-year pre-Master’s program (30 ECTS) has two intake moments.
- The first runs from the end of August until January.
- The second runs from the end of January until June.
After finishing the pre-Master's program with good results, you can start with:
- The one-year Master's program in Sociology at the end of January or at the end of August next academic year.
- The one-year Master's track Politics, Policy, and Societal Development at the end of August next academic year.
- The one-year Master's track Health, Wellbeing and Society at the end of January or at the end of August next academic year.
The courses are:
- Introduction to Sociology
- Research Project pre-master Sociology
- Causal analysis techniques for pre-master students
- Methods, Measurement and Statistics for pre-master students
- Global Migration
- National and Regional Identities
- Sociology of Work
- Family in Context: How Families Define Us
You will find a detailed description of the courses and required literature in our course catalog.
Application and admission
To be eligible for this pre-Master's program, you must have completed a Dutch hbo-Bachelor's program that gives direct access to the pre-Master's program.
For Dutch wo and international students
Tilburg University offers a pre-Master’s program designed for students with a university Bachelor’s degree – national or international – that does not entirely meet the entry requirements of the Master’s program in Sociology.
After you have submitted your complete application, the Admissions Committee will, based on this, decide whether:
- You can be admitted to the Master’s program directly.
- You need to take a pre-Master’s program.
- You cannot be admitted to the (pre-)Master’s program.
Please Note: programs are subject to change. We advise you to look up the current program in OSIRIS Student at the start of the year.
Interested in the MSc Sociology?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application