Public Governance (Bestuurskunde): Public Administration, Economics and Law (MSc)
The leaders of today and tomorrow face immense challenges, such as climate change and energy transition, refugee crisis, transnational organized crime and urban inequality. Involving multiple actors and operating at global and local levels, these challenges require innovative solutions. The MSc Public Governance combines public administration, economics and law to lay the foundation for a career in government or the private sector, in the Netherlands or abroad.
Program and courses
Become part of a small-scaled, closely connected and multidisciplinary community of talented students, outstanding scholars, and eminent alumni from all over the world.
- Cross boundaries. Adopt a comparative, transnational perspective on public governance, to learn from other cities, regions and countries, or global and European institutions - what works, and why?
- Put theory into practice. Gain essential experience with tackling complex societal problems by working with 'real life' clients in the Governance Clinic. Obtain expert knowledge and academic skills, but also train (soft) skills like creative thinking, communicating and collaborating, as well as being adaptive and exercising leadership.
- Team up. Learn to co-create innovative governance solutions with fellow students, leading experts in the field, and key stakeholders, such as citizens, non-state actors, businesses and governments.
- Shape your portfolio. Specialize in one of four themes and become an expert in this area of governance:
- Democratic Governance and Innovation
- Justice, Security, and the Governance of Risks
- Governing the Transition to a Sustainable Society
- Governance for Health, Education, and Welfare
- Benefit from mentoring. You get personal guidance and help from lecturers, as well as tips and tricks from fellow students via the buddy system - to help you learn, grow and develop, beyond merely collecting ECTS's.
Typical courses are:
Ennie WoltersPolicy advisor at Netherlands Institute for Forensic Psychiatry and Psychology (NIFP)
"This Master's program offers an in-depth, multi-disciplinary view on governance and the public sector using interactive classes and real-life examples, providing you with useful knowledge as well as skills to use in your professional as well as private life."
Tom ZwijnenburgJunior Project Manager at Capgemini
"A variety of different and complex societal issues are introduced in the courses. Although discussing and addressing these issues can be difficult and demanding at times, it surely prepares you for your future career, providing you with the necessary analytical and management skills. You build lasting relationships, and together with students with diverse backgrounds and specializations, you develop unique solutions."
Lars CassonAnalyst at ABN AMRO Bank
"The program helped me develop many necessary soft skills such as networking, teaming, organizing and planning, and it gave me in-depth knowledge of the subjects at hand. Being a more small-scale program than others, I felt noticed and knew that I was not overlooked. In a year where mental health was such a substantial issue (I followed this program in 2020-2021), this was very important!"
As a Master of Science in Public Governance, you are well equipped to analyze complex societal problems from a combined political, socio-economic, and legal perspective, using both quantitative and qualitative methods. You have learned to devise creative and innovative governance solutions to complex societal problems, in cross-boundary teams and together with key stakeholders. These skills make you eligible for a broad range of professions in the public, private and non-profit sector, such as policy analyst at an international organization such as the OECD, policy advisor at a national ministry, regional authority or city government, strategic consultant at a consultancy firm, or a public affairs manager in a large company. Be the leader of tomorrow and become an active player in shaping the worlds’ future.
Alumni facts Tilburg Law School
- Average number of months until first paid job: 2.35
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: € 3.013,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2021 | n = 98
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August and end of January.
Best preparatory programs:
A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in:
Dutch speaking students can apply for the Dutch-taught Pre-Master’s program. This program is meant for students with a Bachelor’s degree HBO Bestuurskunde, HBO Integrale Veiligheid, or equivalent.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Create your own e-brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
16:00 - 17:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
Are you curious about the experiences of international students like you? Join our Get to know Tilburg University Webinar led by our international team and discover what it is like to study at Tilburg University! It is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, and our university. You can join the webinar from 16:00 until 17:00 CET.
09:30 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Are you interested in doing a Master's program? Do you want to specialize or are you looking for a Master that broadens your possibilities? Join us at the Master's Open day on March 23 to find out which (pre-)Master's program suits you best. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and education coordinators your questions.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on April 3 or May 8! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
Interested in the MSc Public Governance? Are you...
Motivated to learn about the governance of complex societal challenges?
Eager to combine theory with practice in innovative solutions?
Ready to step out of your comfort zone and train essential methods and (soft)skills?
Then check your eligibility and see if this program is a good fit for you!