Tilburg University education

Immigration procedure for Non-EU students before arrival

This section provides you with all the necessary information on immigration matters before your arrival in The Netherlands.

Information: changes due to coronavirus

Entry visa

To enter the Netherlands for study purposes, nationals from most countries need a visa. Once in the Netherlands, a residence permit is often required. An entry visa is a sticker which is placed in your passport at the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in your own country (or the country in which you legally reside), but you must apply for it well in advance.

Residence permit

A residence permit looks like a credit card and proves that you are residing legally in the Netherlands. You are obliged to obtain a residence permit if you are a citizen of a non-EU / EEA country or Switzerland and you would like to stay in the Netherlands for a period of more than three months.

The resident permit allows you to travel to all Schengen countries and back to the Netherlands as often as you want, while it is still valid. A residence permit will be issued for the duration of student’s study program. Depending on the purpose of your stay, the validity may be for a longer or shorter period of time.

Immigration Coordinators

The Immigration Coordinators are happy to help you to apply for your visa and/or residence permit and will guide you step-by-step through the process. The Immigration Office has a special agreement with the Dutch Immigration Service to speed up this process and to make it as smooth as possible for you.

All services of the Immigration Coordinators are free. However, you will be charged a fee for your visa and/or residence permit. To simplify the procedure for you, you can pay this fee directly to the Immigration Office and they will transfer it on your behalf to the Dutch Immigration Service.

Students requesting a residence permit through the Working Holiday Scheme or the Working Holiday Program will have to pay the fee directly to the IND. Please refer to the appropriate booklet below for more information.

Immigration procedure at Tilburg University for Non-EU students

Step 1: Pay the Dutch immigration fee through an online payment system
Step 2: Complete the application form for the visa and/or residence permit and provide the necessary (financial) documents

Immigration Booklets

The Immigration Office has compiled 4 different booklets for you, explaining the immigration procedure in more detail.

Nationality Booklet
Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, United States of America, Vatican City State Immigration Guide
Australia, Canada, New Zealand: Exchange students only! Immigration Guide
Any Non-EU country not mentioned above Immigration Guide
Students with a Dutch residence permit  
For students who already have a residence permit regardless of nationality. Immigration Guide