Justice for victims of conflict-related sexual violence and human trafficking?
Thousands of men, women and children are forced into sexual slavery or raped during conflict-situations, and/or, when fleeing conflict, are forced by human traffickers into exploitative practices en route and in the country of destination. What is done to address these crimes and are these approaches contributing to realizing justice?
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify and describe the phenomena of conflict-related sexual violence and human trafficking and how these contribute to (gender) injustice;
- Identify, analyse and critically assess the opportunities and challenges in addressing conflict-related sexual violence and human trafficking through legal and non-legal mechanisms;
- Identify, analyse and critically assess the opportunities and challenges for victims/survivors of conflict-related sexual violence and human trafficking with regard to their rights and needs;
- Identify, analyse and critically assess the opportunities and challenges in preventing conflict-related sexual violence and human trafficking;
- Argue whether the current national and international approaches that deal with both crimes contribute to achieving (gender) justice.
Application and registration
Mridula ShobinathCourse participant
"This course provided me with valuable insights on these complex topics, and it has renewed my passion and energy to fight against human trafficking and conflict-related sexual violence. I have also had the opportunity to meet inspiring people from around the world and from various fields of study."
Sjors van de VenCourse participant
"The Summer School is an altogether great experience. The two-week program enabled me to meet international students and to experience the field of practice by visits to institutions."
Lilly Rose OkurCourse participant
"It was fantastic in the sense that I gained insights on two topics based on a multi-disciplinary approach. The instructors are very knowledgeable in their fields, both theoretically and practically. Two weeks well spent."
Do you want to register for Tilburg University Summer School 2019?
The deadline for registration is May 31, 2019. Register for an academic course before March 31, 2019 and receive a 10% early bird discount!