Research Master students and PhD students may have access to some funding and reimbursements. Check below on the possibilities; for more information on procedures on all these activities you can contact the Coordinators Research Master or Graduate Officers PhD at the CentER Graduate School.
Research & Teaching assistantship
The two common student assistantships are Research Assistant (RA) and Teaching Assistant (TA). As a RA you assist faculty members with their research by, for example, gathering data or doing analysis. As a TA, on the other hand, you assist in courses by, for example, checking assignments or exams. Each department decides if there are RA or TA positions available. You can contact the Head of Department via the secretary for available positions:
- Department of Accountancy
- Department of Econometrics & Operations Research
- Department of Economics
- Department of Finance
- Department of Management
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Organization & Strategy
Please note that non-EEA students need a work permit before they can start working as a student assistant.
TISEM will pay for the cost of having one chapter of your thesis edited by a professional proof reader. TISEM will also pay the editing costs of a chapter which you would like to admit to a top or very good journal. More information on the list with top and very good journals is available with the Service & Quality Officer of CentER.
To apply please sent an email to CentER Graduate School at CentER-GS@tilburguniversity.edu stating at least the reason for the editing and the deadline you would like the paper to be returned.
Job Market travel cost
Candidates who would like to attend a job market conference can have the conference fee, the costs for traveling and hotel paid for by TISEM. The maximum amount to be reimbursed will be € 1,500. Requests have to be submitted in advance to CentER Graduate School for approval and must contain a budget estimation. To be eligible for this reimbursement you must be on the job market.
PhD Research trip
Regulations for approving and monitoring PhD research trips. Only applicable to PhD candidates employed by TiSEM.
Formal application deadlines as of 1 January 2019 are twice in an academic year. For spring visits the deadline is 1 September. For fall visits the deadline is 1 March. The round of decisions will be soon after the deadlines of March and September.
Application should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The graduate office will forward the documents to the DGS and relevant EC. First round of decisions in June and second in December.
- Visits should not be longer than one semester.
- Applicants make sure that eventual teaching duties are covered by someone else while they are away.
- Students funded by grants that provide resources beyond salary and have funds for staying abroad for at least one semester do not qualify for CentER funding.
- The application should include:
- CV with achievements and working papers
- invitation from a foreign scholar (to ensure the trip is prepared and the PhD will have a committed tutor there)
- indication of a clear work plan
- letter/email of support by the supervisor
- information whether the trip is also going to be (partially) supported from other sources or the host university
- proposed budget during the visit (with a maximum of 5000 EUR)
- Upon return the student should submit a short report on the visit and its achievements.
- Unsatisfactory performance of applicants play a role in the evaluation of future applications supported by the same supervisor(s).
Dissertation Printing Cost
PhD dissertations from TiSEM are published in the CentER thesis series. If you are a PhD candidate, TISEM will pay for the printing costs. The only exception is if you would like to have pages printed in color, these costs you must pay yourself.
LNMB courses and Travel Costs
Research Master and PhD students you can take part in LNMB courses without charge. The LNMB is a Dutch Network on the Mathematics of Operations Research. This network is an interuniversity co-operation in which all Dutch universities and the Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI) in Amsterdam participate. The courses that you can follow at this network can be found on this page. The courses take place in Utrecht. For reimbursements of travel expenses Research Master students can ask CentER Graduate School, PhD students please check with the secretariat of your department.
Conference and Summer School visits
The departments will reimburse these costs. Please contact the secretariat of your department for more information. Note that attendance to these activities will only be reimbursed if your education coordinator and supervisor gave your permission for this.