TiSEM Institutional Review Board (IRB)
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) of the Tilburg School of Economics and Management (TiSEM) of Tilburg University is a permanent and independent committee, established by TiSEM’s management team.
The IRB reviews all research that falls within the IRB scope and that is to be conducted by:
- Research Master students at TiSEM under the supervision of a faculty member or a PhD candidate at TiSEM
- TiSEM PhD candidates
- faculty at TiSEM
- Master's students at TiSEM : research done by Master's students that may be used by faculty or PhD candidates for future publication requires IRB approval. Application for IRB approval is done by the faculty member or PhD candidate in question.
Proposed research can be conducted after having received IRB approval.
The IRB cannot provide post-hoc approval after research has started or has been completed.
The TiSEM Institutional Review Board is a permanent and independent committee, established by TiSEM’s management team. The IRB evaluates research proposals to be conducted by TiSEM faculty, PhD candidates, and Research Master students. Research proposals are evaluated on ethics of data collection and data management, including participant privacy protection, and the quality of data management, including data accessibility. The IRB does not do post hoc evaluation of research that has been conducted.
The TiSEM IRB aims to sustain and improve the quality of research at TiSEM; for
A. Research participants: by protecting their privacy and prevent them from physical, psychological or other harm.
B. Institution and Society: by supporting and facilitating the integrity and transparency of data collection and management as well as the accessibility of research data and results.
C. Researchers: by supporting, informing, and helping researchers to conform to the IRB aims and procedures while keeping their workload at a minimum.
The committee consists of representatives from different departments in TiSEM:
- Prof. dr. Rik Pieters (Chair, Department of Marketing)
- Prof. dr. Eddy Cardinaels (Department of Accountancy)
- Prof. dr. Tobias Klein (Department of Econometrics and Operations Research)
- Prof. dr. Sigrid Suetens (Department of Economics)
- Dr. Ben Vollaard (Department of Economics)
- Prof. dr. Carol Ou (Department of Management)
- Dr. Fabio Braggion (Department of Finance)
- Ir. Jantine Spithoven (IRB Manager)