TISEM's facility for experiments in economics and business at Tilburg University
CentERlab is TiSEM's facility for conducting economic and business experiments. It is a cross-disciplinary laboratory that explores a broad range of research questions on behavioral decision making in business and economics and is open to researchers affiliated with TiSEM.
CentERlab consists of three labs dedicated to research.
Lab 1 has 65 partitioned workstations and can be separated into sections 1A and 1B. Lab 1A has 40 workstations and Lab 1B has 25 workstations. Lab 2 has 10 individual, fully closed-off and sound-proof cubicles, of which four have a Tobii eyetracker. Lab 3 is a group room, suitable for qualitative interviews, negotiation studies, group tasks and more.
CentERlab also maintains an online subject recruitment system, mostly targeted at the student population of Tilburg University, and has specialized hardware and software available.
CentERlab is located in the East section of the basement of the Koopmans building at Tilburg University.
Participating in experiments
- You are given a (usually rather simple) decision task (e.g. "choose an action A, B, or C", "set a price for a good" etc.). All the information that you need to perform the task is provided on the spot at the experiment.
- In some experiments you get a show-up fee for participating. In other experiments your earnings depend on how successful your decisions are (successful decisions can give you substantial earnings, while other decisions may lead to rather small earnings) or on chance (sometimes you may have good luck and other times you may have bad luck).
- At the start of an experiment you receive instructions that provide information about the choices to be made and how earnings are calculated.
- Your decisions are processed anonymously.
- The results of the experiments are used for scientific studies and reports.
Sign-up for participation
If you would like to participate in experiments:
You will then get updates on all experiments that take place in which you can take part.
This facility is available only to CentER faculty and PhD students (only if supervised by an experienced CentER faculty member). Visitors and non-faculty who would like to use the CentERlab facilities need to contact one of the directors.
If you wish to carry out an experiment, please visit the intranet for the procedure and possibilities.