Ethics Review Board TST
The Ethics Review Board of the Tilburg School of Catholic Theology (TST) reviews empirical research involving humans. The review covers three aspects: an ethical review (including information to and consent from participants/respondents), the management of data during and after the study, and a review of compliance with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
If you are unsure whether review is required for your research, please consult the board at the following email address: email@example.com.
It is and remains the researcher’s responsibility to verify whether review is required and, if so, to submit an application for review on time.
1. Applications for projects by researchers and doctoral candidates at TST
- The application must be submitted using this standard form. This Word document contains references to background information.
- Please send the completed form, including the required annexes, to the board’s email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The board strives to carry out reviews within three weeks.
- The review is free of charge.
- Any approval granted is valid for the duration of the project as described in the application. Researchers must inform the board of any delays or extensions.
- Any approval granted applies only to the project as described in the application. Post-approval changes may be made only if they do not affect the ethical aspects. An amended application must be submitted for any changes that do affect the ethical aspects.
- Approval cannot be given once the project has started or after it has been completed.
- If you wish to dispute the outcome of the board’s review, you can lodge an appeal via the board’s email address: email@example.com. A decision on the appeal will be made in consultation with the Dean and the Vice Dean for Research within a month.
- There are a number of sample texts at the bottom of this page.
- For more background information, please visit this TiU web page, and this page.
2. Applications for projects by BA and MA students at TST
- Research carried out by students in the context of courses or theses must similarly be reviewed by the board. Applications can be made using this short form. This Word document contains references to background information.
- As far as data management in student research is concerned, this regulation is important.
- The instructor responsible for the course or thesis will inform the students of the procedure and will offer any assistance required. The instructor is responsible for the application.
- With the exception of the short form, the procedure is identical to the procedure described above.
- The duration of any approval granted is valid for one academic year only, as the students involved change each year and the contents of the course/research may vary.
- A number of sample texts can be found at the bottom of this page.