Brabant Robot Challenge
Robotics should not be left to the techies: it is crucial to bring together various disciplines to make sure that this technical revolution works for the benefit of all those involved. This idea gave rise to the Brabant Robot Challenge. Bringing businesses, care institutions, and students from various Brabant educational institutions together has resulted in fruitful collaboration.
Four institutions for higher education in the province of Noord-Brabant - Tilburg University, Fontys, Eindhoven University of Technology and Avans - see it as their mission to prepare themselves and their students for the future. In the smart manufacturing region of Noord-Brabant the effects of robotization will probably be felt sooner and on a bigger scale than in the rest of the Netherlands. The reason is the fact that industry, healthcare, technical education and government have very close relations. This provides opportunities for the province to take on new challenges and try and prevent negative consequences.
As part of the Brabant Robot Challenge, the four institutions for higher education offer students a unique program on various aspects of robotization. Technical and medical knowledge is not enough in the robot society: equally important are social, economic, legal, and ethical insights. For instance, why are care robots welcome at some healthcare units but not at others?
- Students attend seven meetings in which top lectures from the participating institutions highlight various aspects of robotics.
- Businesses and institutions present practical cases to be solved by the students in multi-disciplinary groups.
- In a final event, students pitch their solutions and the best solutions are awarded prizes.
- The participating institutions benefit from the knowledge obtained.
- Around 60 motivated students worked on practical robotics;
- Students delivered valuable input for cases of health technology companies, the Province of Brabant and ten care institutions;
- A network has been created of educational and care institutions as well as businesses around robotics.
- Tilburg University
- Eindhoven University of Technology
- Brabant Kennis
- Beagle Innovation Program of the Province of Brabant