Application & Admission
If you are interested in our PhD/Research Master’s programs, you can apply by using the electronic application system. Please first read the information and requirements below to check whether you are eligible for a position.
Research Master’s program
General application procedure
Please find the application procedures here:
Undergraduates applying for the Research Master’s program
You can apply for the Research Master’s program if you have completed an undergraduate program or will do so in your current academic year. If you have an undergraduate degree but no Master’s degree, you cannot apply for a PhD position. If you are accepted for a Research Master’s program, you will start in the first year.
Graduates applying for the Research Master’s program
If you have completed a graduate program or will do so in your current academic year, you can apply for either the Research Master’s program or for a PhD. If you are accepted into the program, you can be either accepted for the Research Master’s year 1, year 2, or directly for the PhD program. Please note that only applicants with very strong CVs and graduate degrees from top universities are eligible for direct admission into the PhD program. If you are first accepted in the Research Master’s program, this means that you must first follow several courses.
From Research Master’s to PhD
Students who are accepted for the Research Master’s program are not automatically accepted for the PhD program once they have obtained their Research Master’s degree. Only students who show excellent research potential and who have a supervisor are eligible for the PhD program.
General application procedure
Where can I find the available PhD positions?
The CentER Graduate School uses the five-year American graduate school program. We offer five-year programs in Business and Economics. These five-year programs consist of a two-year Research Master program, followed by a funded three-year dissertation writing phase (PhD program). We expect all our PhD candidates to have the same strong educational background before starting in the three-year dissertation writing phase. Therefore we, in principle, do not admit anyone into our fulltime PhD program directly.
If you are interested in our fulltime funded PhD program and you are of the opinion that your background is already strong enough for direct admission, you should still apply for the Research Master program using the online application system. You need to upload all the required documents and mention in your motivation letter that you are interested in the PhD program.
The admission committee will evaluate your application file and they will decide if your application is eligible for admission in general and if your application is strong enough for direct admission to the PhD program or if there are still some educational deficiencies. In almost all cases there are some deficiencies and in that case, the admission committee can decide to admit you to the Research Master program instead.
The CentER Graduate School also offer a PhD Program for Professionals. This is a part-time non-funded PhD program which is offered to professionals working in the business, banking and government sector and who have at least three years of work experience. You can find more information about this program on our website.
Requirements CentER Graduate School
Requirements for applying for a Research Master’s program
To apply for the Research Master’s program, you must have completed an undergraduate program or you will complete an undergraduate program before the end of the academic year.
Requirements for applying for a PhD position
To apply for a PhD position, you must have completed a graduate program or you will complete a graduate program before the end of the academic year.
Required documents - concerning all applicants!
The following documents are required when applying for our programs:
- A copy of your Bachelor’s or Master’s degree diploma (if you still have to graduate, you should submit the expected graduation date or a graduation statement instead)
- Copies of your (recent) grade transcript(s)
- A copy of your GRE test score report (if you apply for a Research Master’s in Economics). The test must not be older than two years.
- A copy of your GRE or GMAT test score report (if you apply for a Research Master’s in Business). The test must not be older than two years.
- An English Language Certificate according to the admissions requirements (exemption form, only if applicable). The test must not be older than two years
- Letter of motivation according to the format (one letter per program that you are applying for!)
- At least two letters of recommendation (these should be submitted directly by their writers).
- Curriculum Vitae
- A copy of your passport
- Relevant written work, such as your Bachelor's or Master's thesis or written assignment
Please bear in mind that the exemption form and the letter of motivation must be filled out, printed, scanned and uploaded in order to complete your application package.
Test scores requirements
The following minimum scores are required for the different tests:
- GRE: minimum of 90% in the quantitative section
- GMAT: minimum of 90% in the total score
- IELTS: minimum total score of 7.0 and no component less than 6.5.
- TOEFL: minimum total score of 600 (paper based), or 100 (internet based)
- CAE: with a minimum level of B
- CPE: pass score
Deadline for a PhD position or for the Research Master’s program with scholarship
February 1, 2018
Deadline for the Research Master’s program
April 1, 2018 (without funding)