My research interests lie at the intersection of culture, self, and emotion. My work is defined by two related lines of research. First, I study how people's self-views change during important developmental transitions. Second, I examine people's emotional experiences, both as enduring dispositions and as momentary states in everyday life. In my research, I seek to understand how one's cultural milieu, self-concept, and emotional life interact to shape individual differences.
Currently, I am co-director of the Karakter project (http://www.karakterproject.nl), a longitudinal research study focused on examining how everyday emotional experiences are related to positive personal growth in Syrian origin young adults who have recently resettled in the Netherlands.
- 2016-Present | Assistant Professor | Tilburg University | Department of Developmental Psychology
- 2015-2016 | Postdoctoral Researcher | Tilburg University | Department of Developmental Psychology
- 2014 | Doctor of Philosophy | University of California, Davis | Personality Psychology | Dissertation Title: "Continuity and Change in Self-Esteem, Self-Enhancement, and Ethnocultural Identity in Adolescence and Emerging Adulthood" | Mentors: Richard W. Robins and Keith F. Widaman
- 2009-2012 | National Institute of Mental Health Predoctoral Fellow | University of California, Berkeley | Bay Area Affective Sciences Training Program
- 2007 | Bachelor of Arts | San Francisco State University | Psychology
- 2004 | Bachelor of Arts | University of California, Berkeley | Art Practice and Interdisciplinary Studies Field Major
- 2008 | Certified in Facial Action Coding System (FACS)
- 2018 | Editor, Developmental Psychology section | Collabra
- 2017 | Member of Editorial Board | Emotion
- 2017 | Research Communications Editor | European Journal of Personality
- 2016 | Member of Editorial Board | Social Psychology and Personality Science
- 2018 | Co-chair, Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access Committee | Society for Improvement of Psychological Science
- Chung, J.M., van Aken, M.A.G., Hutteman, R., & Denissen, J.J.A. (2017). High, low, and in-between: Self-esteem development from middle childhood to young adulthood. Journal of Research in Personality, 70, 122-133.
- Chung, J.M., Robins, R.W., & Schriber, R.A. (2016). Positive illusions in the academic context: A longitudinal study of academic self-enhancement in college. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 42(10), 1384-1401.
- Schriber, R.A., Chung, J.M., Sorensen, K.S., & Robins, R.W. (2016). Dispositional contempt: A first look at the contemptuous person. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1037/pspp0000101
- Chung, J.M., & Robins, R.W. (2015). Exploring cultural differences in the recognition of the self-conscious emotions. PLoSONE, 10(8)
- Chung, J.M., Robins, R.W., Trzesniewski, K.H., Noftle, E.E., Roberts, B.W., & Widaman, K.F. (2014). Continuity and change in self-esteem during emerging adulthood. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 106(3), 469-483.
- Emotional Character Growth in Individuals Who Seek or Have Refugee Status. (2017-2019). John Templeton Foundation ($190,000). Role: Co-Principal Investigator with Dr. Odilia M. Laceulle (Utrecht University).