Study in the Netherlands, study at Tilburg University

Careers for internationals

Are you new to the Dutch labor market, wondering where to start and which opportunities there are? Below, you will find some information and guidance to get acquainted with the Dutch labor market.

General information about working in the Netherlands

In the International Student Guide you can find, among others, tips and information about working in the Netherlands. Jobs | Holland Expat Center South is a site where you can navigate to all the English jobs and internships available in a region in the Netherlands. You are able to search through vacancies that are being added daily. 

Other interesting sites

Working while studying in the Netherlands

Are you from outside the EU? If you want to work in combination with your studies, there are some things to keep in mind. Do you want more general information on rules, regulations and points of attention if you want to work in combination with your study program in the Netherlands? Check the website Working while studying.

My advice? Learn Dutch, so you can at least have a social talk in Dutch

Tilburg University alumnus working in the Netherlands

Working after studying in the Netherlands

  • If you have graduated from a higher educational institution, you are allowed to spend a period of one year in the Netherlands to look for and carry out work here as a highly educated person. During this ‘Immigration Orientation Year’, you can move freely on the Dutch labor market without an extra work permit and see what opportunities there are for you. Tilburg University's Immigration Office is there to help you with the paperwork you need for this. 
  • Once employment is found, the permit can be converted into a residence permit for highly skilled migrants. The salary requirement for this conversion is lower than for other applicants which can be an advantage for employers to hire you. Check the IND website for more information. 

GoinGlobal Platform

  • Over 16 million job and internship listings worldwide
  • 42 country career guides packed with expert advice
  • Expert guidelines for creating culturally correct CVs
Visit our website for more info on GoinGlobal

Useful institutions

If you are an international student or recent graduate and you start looking for an internship or job in the Netherlands, there are a few things to bear in mind before applying and starting to work.  


The IND assesses applications of everyone who would like to live in the Netherlands. If you have questions about your residence permit, visa or the orientation year, contact the IND.

Zorgverzekeringslijn (health insurance)

If you have questions about the Dutch health insurance system and whether you are required to have a basic Dutch health insurance, you can contact the Zorgverzekeringslijn. They are easily contactable and you can ask all your questions. Check their website for FAQ.

UWV (Employee Insurance Agency in the Netherlands)

The UWV provides (international) jobseekers in the Netherlands with information and advice. On their website, you will find useful information (in English) about what needs to be arranged in order to intern or work in the Netherlands, which requirements you have to fulfil, and how you can best prepare yourself. 


Nuffic is the Dutch organization for internationalization in education. On their website you can find useful information about for example studying in the Netherlands as an international student.

Netherlands Point of Entry

The Netherlands Point of Entry (part of the RVO, Rijksdienst voor Ondernemend Nederland) offers information about various residence permits and the possibilities within the Netherlands after graduation. In addition, they are the point of contact about the various (visa) regulations if there are questions about this. They provide information about, among other things:

In addition, the Netherlands Point of Entry advises on the possibilities offered by the highly skilled migrant visa and orientation year visa in relation to the other visas and what appropriate considerations can be made in this regard.

Need help?

Please ask Student Career Services for advice.