Betalen bij Tilburg University

How can I manage my money wisely? Where can I find a part time job?

Managing your money is very important. On this page we have briefly listed what you should pay attention to at the start of your study.

Does Tilburg University offer any scholarships? If so, what are the requirements and how can I apply?

The Dutch government supports students by subsidizing the tuition fees of all EEA-students. Therefore EEA-students pay the statutory fee, which is substantially lower than most of the institutional fees non-EEA-student need to pay. EEA-students can take out a government's loan to  pay the tuition fee, see Tuition fees loan - DUO.

Committed to financially supporting talented and motivated non-EU/EEA students as well, Tilburg University offers some scholarships for students. Please note that the number of scholarships is limited and mainly targeted at prospective Master’s students with excellent study results and from specific backgrounds. For more information about scholarship opportunities, please visit our website

Do I need to open a Dutch bank account and how can I open it?

First, check if you have a bank account in a country that is a member of the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) country in our overview of SEPA countries. If you have a bank account in a country that is a member of SEPA, it is not strictly necessary to open a Dutch bank account. You are advised to contact your own bank for more information. 

  If you have been awarded a Scholarship, which includes receiving payments from Tilburg University, it is particularly important to open a Dutch bank account. This is the only way we can transfer the Scholarship to you. 

In order to assist you with opening a Dutch bank account, Tilburg University has made an agreement with ABN AMRO bank, which is one of the most popular banks in the Netherlands and is conveniently located in Tilburg. More information about opening a Dutch bank account.  

Are there any government loans that I can apply for?

The Dutch government supports students by subsidizing the tuition fees of all EEA-students. Therefore EEA-students pay the statutory fee, which is substantially lower than most of the institutional fees non-EEA-student need to pay. EEA-students can take out a government's loan to  pay the tuition fee, see Tuition fees loan - DUO.

If you (as an EEA -student) have a job of 56 hours per month, you are eligible for the full Dutch study finance, including public transport card (OV). For more information, please visit the website of DUO, which is the Education Executive Agency of the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science. 

Please note: if you are European and live for 5 years or longer in The Netherlandsf you are a national of a European country and have lived in the Netherlands for five years or more, you are entitled to the full Dutch study grant, without having to meet the hours requirement of paid work. You need to proof this with registration at a municipality (BRP). Check your eligibilty at the DUO-website.

If you parents income is not sufficient to support you additionally, you might be eligible for a supplementary grant.

Are you delayed in your studies within the nominal study duration due to medical circumstances? If you report this on time to a dean of students, you may be eligible for 12 months extension of the performance-grant.

Are you experiencing study delays due to other circumstances? If so, you can often request a facility from DUO, such as postponement of the graduation term. Make sure you always report your circumstances to a dean of students. See the overview of the different facilities offered by DUO in case of study delay.

How can I manage my expenses and what are they on average?

Whether you are still living at home or moving into a room: it is important to budget well. Make sure you set aside at least enough money for necessary expenses: rent, insurance(s), textbooks, tuition, daily necessities, subscriptions, phone, membership, clothing. Money for such things as going out, gifts, vacation, music and other hobbies is nice, but not a basic necessity.

When you know how much is coming in, what you are spending it on and how much margin you have, it also saves a lot of anxiety.  There are several websites with information and tips on how to manage your expenses, e.g. 5 Budgeting Tips for College Students. See also Dutch websites on Hoe ga ik verstandig met mijn geld om?

Worried about money now that everything is getting more expensive?  

If you live independently, some municipalities allow you to apply for an energy allowance, if you are below a certain income limit.

You might also be eligible for a government allowances for health care or rent (websites of the Tax Authority only in Dutch).

If you are a student, you are often eligible for discount schemes. take advantage of them! See for example: discounts on laptops and software or student discounts. Pay attention to the fine print, after all, companies would like to keep you as a customer longer.

With money worries or debts, you can also go to social work (or contact our social worker). If you do not live in Tilburg, look for social work in your own municipality or region.

Average expenses

Below is a general overview of your cost of living in Tilburg. The estimated costs can vary per person and depend on your lifestyle. Please note that these figures are subject to change and that tuition fees are not included in this overview. 

Monthly living expenses are: 

  • Housing: € 460 
  • Everyday expenses: - € 300 
  • Study materials: € 65 
  • Insurances: € 40 

Yearly expenses are: 

  • Accommodation: € 4,500 - € 5,700 
  • Food: € 3,000 
  • Books and readers: € 800 
  •  Health, liability and travel insurance fees: € 450 * 
  • Immigration fee for visa and/or Residence Permit (if applicable): € 192 
  • Total: € 8,750 - € 10,250 

 Optional/singular expenses are: 

  • A bicycle and lock: € 175 
  • Sports card: € 145 
  • Total: € 320 
Can I work besides my studies? Does Tilburg University offer any part-time jobs for international students? 

You may work besides your studies. If you are from the EU/EEA or Switzerland you are free to work without any restrictions. You do not need a work permit and there are no restrictions regarding working hours, other than the restrictions and rules stipulated by Dutch law in the Working Hours Act (ATW). In case you are a non-EU/EEA passport holder, there are some restrictions if you want to work alongside your studies. Your employer has to provide you with a personal work permit. You can only work if you have this specific work permit and can either work for a maximum of 16 hours per week during the year, or fulltime during the months of June, July and August.  See Work regulations for foreign students for more information.

You can either look for a part-time job in the city of Tilburg, for example as a waiter in a restaurant, or apply for a student assistant or student recruiter position at Tilburg University. On  webpage (Academic) side jobs you can find an overview of useful websites about part-time jobs in Tilburg. Also check this career portal for students.

Student Career Services offer a wide range of workshops to prepare for the job market, see Workshops and training courses Student Career Services.

In case you are interested in working for Tilburg University, please keep an eye on our university vacancy webpage.  

If you are planning to work besides your studies, we  strongly recommend you to first settle into Tilburg and start your studies, before applying for jobs. The first weeks in a new country and a new city can be quite overwhelming, and immediately starting a job besides your studies can be quite hard.   

If possible, try to get a job as an extension of your studies, or just in a place that gives you a lot of energy, as an extension of another interest or hobby, or where you work with your hands, as a change from your studies.

Is it mandatory to get a health insurance and which one is recommended? 

It is a legal requirement for all international students living in the Netherlands to have adequate health insurance. If you do not take out Dutch public health insurance, you will be fined by Dutch Authorities. It is important that you take out the correct insurance before you need any kind of health care. If you wait until a situation arises for which you do not have adequate cover, it is likely that you will have to pay all costs yourself.  In the case of medical costs, these very quickly accumulate as healthcare in the Netherlands is expensive. In some cases, your current health insurance is sufficient for health care in the Netherlands. Please check this with your own insurance company. 

In case you are planning to take a Dutch health insurance, Tilburg University highly recommends to take out the Aon Complete+ Insurance package, because it includes health, liability and travel insurance, including pre-existing medical and psychological conditions. 

For more information about insurances, please visit our website Arrange your insurances.