Outreaching Honors Program
Society is changing at a fast pace. Processes of globalization and digitalization, increasingly pluralistic communities and a need for growing sustainability have penetrated all societal spheres and require us to face unprecedented ‘wicked problems’ that are resistant to resolution. The Outreaching Honors Program provide educational and experiential opportunities by offering you a number of ambitious modules, challenging you to reflect on yourself and to prepare you for a responsible role in future society.
Following a ‘learning by doing’-approach, you will develop and apply these skills:
- Contribute to team dynamics
- Develop leadership skills
- Develop social entrepreneurship skills
- Effectively communicate and collaborate
- Effectively handle conflicts
- Give back to society
Short overview of the Outreaching Honors Program
- The modules revolve around three interrelated pillars: Leadership, Collaborative Interactions, and Social Entrepreneurship.
- The Outreaching Honors Program is open to selected Tilburg University students of all study levels (after completion of the first year), nationalities, and study backgrounds.
- The program has a duration of one academic year, with the option to apply for a second year of support with a specific project and team.
- It is conducted entirely in English, and participants are required to possess an adequate command of the English language.
The program in detail
The Three Pillars
The modules revolve around three interrelated pillars that are aligned with the core values and objectives of the program:
- Leadership: focusses on personal development of the individual (‘Me’)
- Collaborative Interactions: touches upon the dynamics of peer groups and the immediate social environment (‘we’)
- Social Entrepreneurship: seeks to treat the grand societal challenges in innovative ways, with a focus on the public good (‘WE’ writ large).
The Impact Labs (Ilabs)
The Ilabs form the heart of Outreaching, combining all three pillars in exciting and ambitious projects focused on application and valorization. In small groups of five to six students you will need to deploy the skills and knowledge gathered in other domains on a concrete case, assisted by experts from the University and external stakeholders, including alumni.
The time frame available for Ilabs amounts to one academic year. Deliverables vary depending on the type of project, but a product of high quality is expected for a pass.
In the Academic Year 2022/2023, the following Ilabs are offered (subject to change and addition):
- ILAB Where to go when it happens? Improving TiU’s support to students victims of harassment and discrimination
- ILAB Where to go when it happens? Improving TiU’s support to students victims of harassment and discrimination Designing sensitization trainings and campaigns for the student of TiU
- ILAB From Just War to just Peace, and back?
- ILAB Cool Gender Hunting
- ILAB Developing course on Trafficking in Human Beings
- ILAB Measuring the effects of empowerment (Bekske 7)
Students who have been admitted to the program will be able to register for one of the Ilabs via CANVAS between Monday 29 August 9:00 and 9 September 17:00
The Modular Set-Up
In order to allow you to build an individualized Outreaching profile, a wide array of different modules will be offered within the three pillars. Some of these, like the Impact Labs, are collective mandatory. Others will be collective optional and again others will be individual optional, providing participants with the opportunity to tailor the program to their particular skills, talents and interests. The exact number and content of the modules offered is adjusted in accordance with availability, feedback, potential added value for students, the Tilburg University profile and societal relevance.
The preliminary content for the semesters 2022/2023, to be complemented, includes:
- Kick-off weekend on Friday 16 September 16.00-21.00
- SEARLs on: social entrepreneurship, collaborative interaction, and leadership
- Self-Coaching program
- Growing self-Awareness training
- Gallup Strength finder
- Studium Generale Certificate
- Public Speaking Program (PSP)
- Training Cross-Cultural Competences & Intercultural Communication
- Internship as a module
- Unipartners - projects
- Project for S4S
- ENACTUS Projects
- ............During the whole year more modules and ilabs will be offered and announced via Canvas
The evaluation of students’ participation and performance occurs through various mechanisms.
If you have successfully completed all mandatory components of the Outreaching program, amounting to 12 ECTS, you will receive a certificate of excellence, attesting to the modules undertaken.
Every student of Tilburg University that has completed at least one year of studies at the start of the program is eligible to apply for Outreaching. Thus, applications from current first year students are welcomed. The selection process is motivation driven. While exceptional academic performance may indicate determination, other factors such as societal engagement, extracurricular experience, and non-academic skills are of equal importance for selection. One particular focus will lie on the selection of a diverse group in terms of culture, nationalities, gender, age, study programs, study levels, and personalities.
The deadline for the application for the 22/23 program is August 1, 2022
- Successful applicants will be contacted by August 24, 2022.
Apply before August 1, 2022 by filling out the application form and uploading a short letter explaining why you want to join the Outreaching program