Websites with tips on study skills
An overview of useful websites that can help you further in your studies.
Fear of failure and stress
- Fear of failure: Test with 60 questions to identify fear of failure.
Note that the outcome is not a diagnosis.
- Training: Online training to master fear of failure.
- Workshops and trainings at Tilburg University:
- Positief perfectionism (in case of stress due to too high target level)
- Mindfulness (introduction)
- Trainings Student Sports Center: the Sports Center offers a number of trainings and courses, such as resilience for women, yoga, mindfulness, pilates, fitness guide (explaining fitness in half an hour (one-on-one)
- Meditating in a group twice a week gives you peace, energy and insight.
- Mindyoung: (Self) help site, offers info, recognizable stories, news, tips and events on everything to do with your MIND.
- Studying Without Stress by Miriam Pol: YouTube episodes and a booklet with tools and tips to combat stress effectively.
- Download this WHO self-help book on dealing with stress in difficult times: Doing What Matters in Times of Stress (in English and many other languages).
- Burnout: read all about burnout in a special themed supplement of de Volkskrant.
- You can find several music videos on YouTube to help you relax.
The Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) Improve Your Study Techniques, developed by the University of Groningen, is available to everyone. In this English-language course you will learn, for example, how to organize your time efficiently, make realistic work plans and tackle stress or procrastination so that you remain motivated to work in an effective and enjoyable manner. Through Future Learn you can register for the course.
You can also contact your education coordinator. Many programs offer a study skills workshop or course in the first year, be sure to take advantage of that!
- Time management (do-it-yourself course)
- Back on track (in case of thesis stagnation)
Amsterdam-based student doctors have launched an online test that can help you figure out why you can't focus well and what you could do about it. The site also includes background information, self-help tips and study tips. See https://beterconcentreren.nl
On YouTube, you can find several music videos to help you focus.
Ten do's and don'ts at :
Only available in Dutch.
Language and writing skills
- Scriptorium: the Scriptorium is the place to find everything you need to know about writing and information literacy. The website offers a wide range of tips and tricks, tools for self-study, links to courses, and you can request an appointment for personal tutoring.
- Taalwinkel: the UvA/HvA language store offers tips for oral and written communication as well as tips for study skills.
- Spellingjuf.nl: The basic rules of Dutch spelling.
- HOI-foundation: dyslexia as opportunity; for a positive outlook on dyslexia, plus lots of background information.