SG Film: Joker
Every first Tuesday of the month, you will be able to enjoy the best movies on the big screen of the auditorium. ‘Joker’ (2019) follows the rise of Arthur Fleck played by Joaquin Phoenix, from aspiring stand-up comedian and pariah to Gotham's clown prince and leader of the revolution.
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
Film Director: Todd Philips
Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert De Niro, Frances Conroy
Language: English – Subtitles: English
Time: 19:30-21:35 hrs. Free entrance (no registration required). Entrance Cobbenhagen building: see below.
“Put on a happy face.”
Forever alone in a crowd, failed comedian Arthur Fleck seeks connection as he walks the streets of Gotham City. Arthur wears two masks - the one he paints for his day job as a clown, and the guise he projects in a futile attempt to feel like he's part of the world around him. Isolated, bullied and disregarded by society, Fleck begins a slow descent into madness as he transforms into the criminal mastermind known as the Joker.
Known previously mostly from comedies, director Todd Philips presents a film that gives its infamous central character a chillingly plausible origin story that serves as a brilliant showcase for its star – and a dark evolution for comics-inspired cinema. With an amazing performance by Joaquin Phoenix, stunning cinematography, and soundtrack some call it the best movie of the 21st century.
At the same time, it is also a controversial movie; Joker deals with many thematically disturbing elements — mental health, political violence, and an “incel”-like protagonist.
Joker premiered at the Venice Film Festival in 2019, where it received an eight-minute standing ovation and won the Golden Lion award. Joker won the Best Actor and Best Original Score awards at the 92nd Academy Awards. It received overall eleven nominations (including Best Picture) from the ceremony, breaking the record of eight held by The Dark Knight for the most nominations received by a film based on a comic book. Hildur Guðnadóttir also became the first woman to win an original score Oscar since The Full Monty in 1998. Joaquin Phoenix's performance in the film won him multiple awards, including an Academy Award for Best Actor, a BAFTA, a Critics' Choice Movie Award, a Golden Globe and a SAG.
“The film of the year”
Movies on the big screen on campus
Every first Tuesday of the month, you can enjoy the best movies on the big screen on campus:
- Tuesday, October 3 – Joker (2019 - Todd Philips)
- Tuesday, November 7 – Close (2022 - Lukas Dhont)
- Tuesday, December 5 – Carol (2015 – Todd Haynes)
- Tuesday, February 6 – Judas and the Black Messiah (2021 - Shaka King)
- Tuesday, March 5 – Mommy (2014 – Xavier Dolan)
- Tuesday, April 2 – Le fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain (2001 - Jean-Pierre Jeunet)
- Tuesday, May 7 – Parasite (2019 – Bong Joon Ho)
SG Film Nights are organized by Studium Generale.
Contact: Annelieke Koster (Studium Generale).
Entrance Cobbenhagen building
The Cobbenhagen building can be entered
- via the Koopmans building, and subsequently the glass corridor to the Cobbenhagen building, till 21:00 hrs.
Due to facade maintenance at the Koopmans building access is only possible via a shipping container (for protection). The Koopmans building is closed after 21:00 hrs.
- via the main entrance of the Cobbenhagen building at the side of the Hogeschoollaan (near the pond).
- for disabled and wheelchair users, access is possible via the Koopmans building, or via an alternative entrance from the Warande parking lot and a side entrance to the glass corridor.
For more information, see also Campus map and buildings, and for assistance, please call +31 (0)13 - 466 3000 (Security).