Cobbenhagen building

Visiting address Postal address
Warandelaan 2 PO Box 90153
5037 AB Tilburg 5000 LE TILBURG
The Netherlands
Cobbenhagen building

The Cobbenhagen building houses the departments:

  • Auditorium
  • Portrait Room
  • Books 4 Life
  • Lecture Rooms
  • Executive Board
  • Executive Services Staff
  • Doctorate Board
  • Legal Affairs
  • University Council
  • Beadle
  • Artloan TiU
  • Academic Heritage
  • Human Resources Policy
  • Finance and Control Policy
  • Academic Services Staff
  • Academic Services Policy Staff
  • Academic Services Grant Support
  • Academic Services Impact Team
  • DARO
  • Tilburg University Society
  • Student Workplaces (C023)
  • Lunchroom Cobbenhagen

Architecture

The main building, grandly monumental by Dutch standards, has always exuded an aura of modesty. Originally a country house surrounded by woods, the university complex became visible much later, when the high-rise extension was added. The building reflects a long walk through a varied range of experiences. Monastery-like hallways, exceptional patios and light that enters in various ways, are characteristic for the building. The most unique aspect of the design by architect Jos Bedaux is that all the main rooms (auditorium, lecture rooms) have been built away from the fa├žade. Patios and rooms are neatly arranged within the confines of the building, and all the space around them flows into one without partitioning for corridors or foyer.

Sustainability

Sustainability was an important aspect of the renovation process in 2012. Huge advances have been made on energy saving in particular. Daylight regulation, water-saving toilet systems, double glazing on courtyard windows, presence detection, and LED lighting have a big effect. Sedum plants now cover the roof. This provides better insulation in summer and winter, better discharge of rainwater and contributes to natural diversity by enlarging the living environment for animals and plants.

Rector Magnificus Dr. M.J.H. Cobbenhagen

Rector Magnificus 1932-1933: Dr. M.J.H. Cobbenhagen

The Cobbenhagen Building was named after one of the founders of the Roomsch Katholieke Handelshoogeschool (the predecessor of Tilburg University), priest and scientist Martinus Cobbenhagen. Cobbenhagen was Professor of General Theory and History of Economics from 1929 to 1954. During these years, Cobbenhagen left his own personal mark on the program. He was the first professor in the Netherlands to highlight the link between economic practice and ethics. Even today, this realization is one the basic principles underlying our university's identity.