Immigration matters

Immigration matters

As an international student you need to arrange several practical matters to assure yourself of an untroubled stay in the Netherlands, including the immigration formalities.

Preparing your stay

  • The Immigration Coordinators are happy to apply for your visa and/or residence permit and will guide you step-by-step through the process
  • The Immigration Coordinators start the immigration procedure from May (September intake) or October (Spring intake) onwards. You will receive an invitation e-mail automatically. 
  • To already find all the relevant information about studying in the Netherlands and to see which immigration procedure is applicable to your personal situation you can check this pathfinder.
Entry visa

You need an entry visa (MVV) in case you are a non-EU/EEA international student who will be studying in the Netherlands for more than 90 days. An MVV is a sticker which is placed in your passport at the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in your own country (or the country in which you legally reside). We must apply for it well in advance, in combination with your Dutch residence permit.

You do not need an entry visa in case you are a citizen of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States of America, South Korea, or Vatican City.

Residence permit

I need a Dutch residence permit

A residence permit looks like a credit card and proves that you are residing legally in the Netherlands. You are obliged to obtain a residence permit if you are a citizen of a non-EU / EEA country (except Switzerland) and you would like to stay in the Netherlands for a period of more than three months.

The residence permit allows you to travel to all Schengen countries and back to the Netherlands as often as you want, while it is still valid. A residence permit will be issued for the duration of student’s study program. Depending on the purpose of your stay, the validity may be for a longer or shorter period of time.

I already have a Dutch residence permit

Students who already have a Dutch residence permit issued for the purpose of 'study' can keep using this residence card. However, Tilburg University has to inform the Dutch Immigration Service about your change of educational institution. If this applies to you, please contact the Immigration Coordinators by email and include a copy of the front and back of your Dutch residence card. You will be informed about the procedure subsequently. 

Students who already have a valid Dutch residence card permit issued for the purpose other than 'study', please send an email to the Student Desk with a copy of the front and back of your Dutch residence card.

Immigration fee

The Dutch Immigration Service (IND) charges a fee for your visa and/or residence permit. You need to pay this fee directly to the Immigration Team and they will transfer it on your behalf to the IND. All services of the Immigration Coordinators are free.

Contact the Immigration Team

If you have a question, do not hesitate to contact our Immigration Coordinators

Please note: from the 22nd of December 2023 until the 1st of January 2024, the Immigration Office is not able to process your messages or requests due to the Holidays. From the 2nd of January 2024 the team will be able to answer your emails again. 

  • Maaike Elands

    Maaike Elands

    Immigration Coordinator
  • anneke van den Boom

    Janneke van den Boom

    Immigration Coordinator
  • Ted Kapteijns

    Ted Kapteijns

    Immigration Coordinator
  • Elke van Hest

    Elke van Hest

    Immigration Officer

Visiting hours

The Immigration Team is available for consultation during our weekly visiting hours at the Student Desk. Do you have any questions relating to immigration, such as your Dutch residence permit, registration at City Hall or any other questions relating to your stay in the Netherlands? We are happy to answer them on:

  • Tuesdays from 10:00 to 12:00 hrs  - Please note there will be no visiting hours on the 12th of December
  • Thursdays from 14:00 to 16:00 hrs 

You can find us at the Student Desk, Academia building room A301.

Telephone consultation hours

You can discuss immigration related questions and/or concerns during the telephone consultation hours of the Immigration Team. You can reach us at telephone number +31 (0)13 466 4707 on:

  • Mondays from 10:00 to 11:00 hrs
  • Wednesdays from 15:00 to 16:00 hrs 
  • Fridays from 10:00 to 11:00 hrs 


It is also possible to ask your question via

Two Tilburg students enjoying student life

Welcome new student

Check all the information relevant to kick-start your studies at Tilburg University.

For degree students

For exchange students